Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 03:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-Slacko Slim 4.4r45 (unique, stable, and flexible)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 23 of 68 [1006 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
keniv

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct 2016, 16:35    Post subject:  

Hello All,
I can boot this one (42r25) with more or less the same grub entry as I was using for the earlier versions of xslacko slim. I'm wondering if this was one of the bug fixes. Anyway thanks for this new iteration.

Regards,

Ken.
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2016, 00:26    Post subject: How to build x-slacko slim  

How to Build X-Slacko Slim

At first, X-Slacko Slim was manually built, hand-by-hand.

On the latest iteration, the X-Slacko Slim 4.2r series was built using automated script.

When building new x-slacko slim, you will need the following files:
1. Pristine x-slacko 4.2: http://www.smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/
2. Build kit: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRkttfZuG0dHVyZ1N6NXNUMkk

Take a note on the following files and folders in the build kit:
* contents - This a folder where the extracted packages to be installed to the system must be placed. Inside contents must be in linux file hierarchy standard for example: contents/usr, contents/bin, etc.

* dri-remove-list.txt - Contains the list of dri files to be deleted.
* pkg-remove-list.txt - Contains the list of applications and softwares to be deleted.
* rm-files-folders.txt - Contains the list of specific files and folders to be deleted. (wildcard character is allowed)

INSTRUCTIONS:
* Boot x-slacko on its pristine state.
* Download the build kit and extract it.
* Edit the following dri-remove-list.txt, pkg-remove-list.txt, and rm-files-folders.txt for customizations
* run setup.sh script. Make some customizations and click proceed to start modification process.
* Wait until modification is finished.
* Make some tweaks and modifications before starting the Puppy Remaster CD to create a customized puplet.

TAKE NOTE:
* When backup remove files is enabled. It tooks longer time to complete modification. Bigger disk space is required for this process.
* At least 512Mb RAM is required for building x-slacko slim
* For more details. look for README in the kit

Last edited by mistfire on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 08:57; edited 9 times in total
zagreb999

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2016, 09:47    Post subject: synaptic for xslacko slim  

regardas.
can you add
synaptic for xslacko slim?

thank you.
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2016, 18:37    Post subject:  

@zagreb999 did you mean synaptics touchpad driver?
zagreb999

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2016, 18:45    Post subject: synaptic package manager instead ppm  

synaptic package manager instead ppm

as in pupjibaro, debiandog

it is much better
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2016, 19:31    Post subject:  

@zagreb999 I wonder if will work on slackware based puppy but I will give a try.
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2016, 19:33    Post subject:  

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Bugfixes on package management

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRkttfZuG0RmwwUzZxa0RJaVE
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2016, 22:17    Post subject:  

@zagreb999 I tried synaptics on X-slacko but it does not work because of conflicts of library files. It means integrating on X-slacko slim is not possible. Synaptic works on debian-based puppy but X-slacko is slackware-based so it is incompatible.

If you want synaptic like package manager for puppy. Just install slapt-get and gslapt.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2016, 05:24    Post subject:  

Just a tad tedious not having DHCP set by default like most Puppies, particularly as subsequent SNS setup generates a spurious 'No network connection' message just before it does actually successfully connect, followed by persistence of the setup panel when it has become unnecessary! Cleaning up front material always gives a stronger impression of professionalism, just as in publishing in hard copy. Same thing with the initial setup panel which, with one exception, still shows a mixture of US and Perth defaults. Surely all defaults should be set for Perth, in deference?! Then there's the shutdown - it asks me if I want a save file when I already selected 'no savefile' from the boot parameters?! Pernickity, yes, but, first impressions and all that...
Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2016, 08:24    Post subject: synaptic tested with pupjibaro jessie.  

synaptic tested with pupjibaro jessie. it's less efficient than PPM , and very poor.. it's only my opinion. And Slacko is slackware but that is not a no go. Mandibule build a fluxbox mixed with X-Slim Slacko and Ubuntu PPM.
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct 2016, 14:45    Post subject: A note on kernels and 4.2r26  

I'm running r26 on several laptops, including three Pentium Ms that require the forcepae option in the kernel if it is PAE. Slim seems to run with about 3 to 5% less idle CPU than X-slacko 4.2 on those elderly machines hence my interest. Two of those laptops are just running my turns counting programs for old looms now but one still gets pretty much daily general use by a friend.

The 3.14.56 kernel in Slim as in its parent X-slacko 4.2 doesn't support this hence I swap kernels (manually in Slim as it doesn't have a z-drv). Not too hard, just extract the Slim Main SFS, copy in the extracted z-drv contents from the kernel desired, delete the old kernel files in /lib/modules, resquash and run (of course with the new kernel vmlinux). In the case of 4.1.31 I reverted the firmware to that from 4.1.30 as 4.1.31 has LOTS more firmware in it and my targeted machines are few. Haven't broken it doing it this way in quite a while

I just did a quick head-to-head comparison of 4.5.2 (my previous std swap-in kernel), 4.1.30 & 4.1.31 (in current and previous LxPupXenials) and 4.8.1 (from an LxPupSc). All boot and run satisfactorily on the 1.6GHz Pentium M 725 laptops. 4.1.30 and 4.1.31 are pretty clearly the best match to those machines in terms of video performance, CPU and memory use with 4.5.2 a pretty close second. Amazingly the 4.8.1 kernel booted and ran fine but the video FPS was about 1/4 of that of the other kernels. Obviously a kernel/xorg/driver/hardware mismatch.

So for now my Slim is using the 4.1.31 PAE kernel with firmware reverted to the 4.1.30 selection. The resquashed SFS with Open Sans fonts and a pet theme or two added comes in at 147.7 Mb.

r26 and Midori continue to work well here both on the machines above and on my less ancient core 2 duo laptops.

Thanks,

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupee for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct 2016, 23:53    Post subject:  

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* LDD GUI frontend and gtkhash is added
* Slackware 14.0 and 14.2 package on-demand database added (Run update PPM database to get this package database)
* Missing Puppy 5 and slacko 14.2 package database is added.
* Bugfixes on puppy scripts especially download_file, quicksetup, pburn, and update_mgr.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRkttfZuG0RXNOSkRDbG9EdXc
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2016, 05:17    Post subject:  

27: Is good, thanks - a lot tidier.
Marv

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2016, 10:32    Post subject:  

r27 downloaded and r26 install updated. Thanks for the gtkhash and the LDD GUI. Kernel swap to 4.1.31 for the Pentium Ms done, timed at 7 minutes total. My time plus core 2 duo unsquash and HC squash time. Running well.

Thanks,

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupee for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2016, 12:03    Post subject: About synaptic again. I have Xenialdog available.  

About synaptic again. I have Xenialdog available. Applications provided are older than with our usual Puppies.
Older is not so important. What is important is application not available via synaptic. Salix is much more interest for apps coverage.

Page 23 of 68 [1006 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: