Forum index

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
oui

Forum index

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

I see the user's interest decrease in the last time.

I suppose that one of the problems of the Puppy Linux movement is that clear objectives are not available. I suppose it would be better to reform the forum and create new subdivisions to concentrate the interest on developments being really actual for the users. Other Linux forums do that automatically because the release are changing and old material are let behind in old subdivision (old / stable / sid or ubuntu / xubuntu / lubuntu / kubuntu / etc.)

of course this would have the consequence that no interest any more would appear for some branch of development! it is so...

but the more actual interesting developments would have profit to bundle the discussion, critics and proposals on the more important actual product out the sight of the user!

I would propose a separate subdivision for each: quirky's/wary's, slacko's, ubuntu's, fatdog's, debian dog's/ubuntu dog's, puppy's for ARM, and woof (bring the development of woof out THAT forum was an highly destructive initiative!).

The already existent main subdivision of the forum Additional software (Pets a' stuff) also needs a reform: As it's name explicit says since years ago, they were no dotsfs as the subdivision did be created. Today, his volume is as big, that is become each day more difficult to find that what you need. Some one will need dotpets. The second one will never want to use them and prefer dotsfs... It is a really very defectuous form of organisation! I would propose to create a separate one subdivision for real dotsfs!

This would perhaps help to revive the Puppy Linux movement...

Kind regards

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Can you please clarify what you mean by the user interest decreasing?

oui

#3 Post by oui »

Hi

Of course! The more "pictural" fact is the rang of Puppy at distrowatch now.

But, if you realistic think about the evolution, a lot of very clever people (I will only name one example as he is YET named as moderator of that forum, MU, our friend Mark... In the past, he did build the Puppy.iso with 7 and 10 Mb, starting like all Puppy since Puppy creation, from the burn ISO on a CD! He did never appear again else if he stay named in the hierarchy of the forum :idea: ). This is not illusion: it is so... I am sorry :roll: !

Kind regards

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

@oui and other "whiners" ;)

As someone else mentioned, Puppy development is now spread out
across FatDog, JLH, etc., even to an indie distro called "Simplicity".

Not to mention the obvious: within Puppy proper, Puppy comes as three
major breeds (with source packages from Debian, Ubuntu and Slackware)
at this time. In the past, at the time you are referring to, oui, it
was concentrated under one (BK's) leadership.

If we found a way to add up all the users using all those variants, I'm
sure that PuppyLinux would be much higher on the DistroWatch list.

Let's compare apples with apples, and not apples with oranges, shall we?

Here's the killer argument: according to the DW authors themselves,
that DW list does not mean much given the way it is compiled.

So let's not be fooled or become depressed because of those numbers.
Let's continue making and promoting the best Linux distro there is! :D

Long Live PuppyLinux!

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)