HP Laserjet MFP M225dw

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
DutchPuppy

HP Laserjet MFP M225dw

#1 Post by DutchPuppy »

Hello,

I have installed Puppy Linux 6.3.2 on an Asus X101h netbook. Works very well. As a printer in the Windows environment i use a HP laserjet MFP M225dw. Everything goes with WiFi, not cable. I was wondering if it is possible to make printing work with this Asus running Puppy Linux
Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

DP, is that the 64b Slacko?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

DutchPuppy

#3 Post by DutchPuppy »

As far as i remembered it's the 32 bit one

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

:wink: Just so the folks here know..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

DP, from what year is that printer? Has it been around a while?

DutchPuppy

#6 Post by DutchPuppy »

Hi Semme, i bought it early last year. Most probably it's a late 2013 or 2014 model.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Since the Big Bill's been MIA, this is the closest I could find.

Though 4/12, it was recently reported to be working by one of the members here.

perdido

#8 Post by perdido »

Semme,
Maybe this stuff can be useful but I don't have the know-how to go beyond what these threads offer, perhaps you do....

Just some additional info about drivers needed, looks maybe you will need a later version driver (3.14.10) than 3.11.10

Code: Select all

Model Name 	Min. HPLIP Version 	Support Level11 	Parallel 	USB 	Network or JetDirect1 	Scan to PC3 	Photo Card Access4 	PC Send Fax5 	PC Initiated Copy6 	Services and Status7 	Driver Plug-in8
HP LaserJet 200 Colormfp m276r	3.12.9 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	No	Yes	No 	Yes	Required
HP LaserJet 200 Colormfp m276u	3.12.9 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	No	Yes	No 	Yes	Required
HP LaserJet 200 Colormfp m276v	3.12.9 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	No	Yes	No 	Yes	Required
HP LaserJet Pro m201dw Printer	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	No	No	No	No 	Yes	No
HP LaserJet Pro m201n Printer	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	No	No	No	No 	Yes	No
HP LaserJet Pro m202n Printer	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	No	No	No	No 	Yes	No
HP LaserJet Pro m202dw Printer	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	No	No	No	No 	Yes	No
HP Photosmart Plus All-in-one Printer - b209b	3.9.8 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	Yes2	No	No 	Yes	No
HP Photosmart Plus All-in-one Printer - b209c	3.9.8 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	Yes2	No	No 	Yes	No
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage k209a All-in-one Printer	3.9.8 	Full	No	Yes	No 	Yes	No	No	No 	Yes	No
HP Photosmart Plus All-in-one Printer - b209a	3.9.8 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	Yes2	No	No 	Yes	No
HP Photosmart Plus b210 Series	3.10.9 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	Yes2	No	No 	Yes	No
HP Designjet 220 Printer	Not supported 	None	No	No	No 	No	No	No	No 	No	No
HP LaserJet Pro MFP m225dw	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	No	Yes	No 	Yes	Required ************This One**********
HP LaserJet Pro MFP m225dn	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	No	Yes	No 	Yes	Required
HP LaserJet Pro MFP m225rdn	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	No	Yes	No 	Yes	Required
HP LaserJet Pro MFP m226dn	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	No	Yes	No 	Yes	Required
HP LaserJet Pro MFP m226dw	3.14.10 	Full	No	Yes	Yes 	Yes	No	Yes	No 	Yes	Required
HP Photosmart 230 Printer	0.9.5 	Full (End of support)	No	Yes	No 	No	Yes	No	No 	Yes	No
HP Photosmart 230v Printer	0.9.5 	Full (End of support)	No	Yes	No 	No	Yes	No	No 	Yes	No
Snippet is part of a chart from
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/su ... bined.html

Maybe some useable stuff, though this is the Lite version ( hpliplite-3.14.3.pet) of the driver package. Also this package probably will not be the complete solution because the HP Laserjet MFP M225dw requires a plug-in according to the chart.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58421

Side note from link above, on page 6 of the thread it looks like rscn51 is looking for someone with one of these printers to test stuff as of 6/16/16

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Then the 3.14.3 pet ain't gonna cut it neither. Any pkg that hasn't been modified exclusively for Pup is gonna break CUPS. When the most frequent responding guru is MIA, printer setup isn't as straightforward aboard a non-multi-user distro like Pup. It's also the main reason Pup isn't my only ride.

Nevertheless Perdido, thanks for the heads-up.

DutchPuppy

#10 Post by DutchPuppy »

I guess it ain't gonna be easy to get this work... Thanks anyhow for your comments

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

Hi DP - I don't have experience with this model but maybe I could suggest something that you can try:

- Find out what the IP address of the printer is (maybe print an internal config page?)

- Once your puppy is connected to the same network (ie has picked up it's own valid IP address from your home router) use your browser to connect to the IP address of the printer. You should be able to view the internal web page interface of your printer (unless it is passworded).
If this works you can have a look around at what functions it lets you access in the printer - some printers have a tab that allows you to browse to a print file on your PC and send it to the printer directly (without loading a driver). I think this might be called Direct print but it can have other names.

This doesn't help you with scanning or PC faxing but on many HP models it lets you print doc, docx and pdf files.

EDIT: Just to pick up on Perdidos comments above - please download the following HPliplite package:
http://goo.gl/cFE1Ol
and store it somewhere till we can get you the full install method.

Please also see rcrsn51's comment here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 082#908082

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

MagicZaurus

HP MFP M475dn

#13 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi DP,

I'm using Tahrpup 6.0.5 and I had no problems to setup a HP M475dn which is connected to the network with a LAN cable. I presume it doesn't really matter if the printer is connected to the network with Wifi or LAN cable.

I installed the hplip_print-3.15.9 pet. Then in CUPS the printer was actually automatically detected and shown and I added it as new printer.

Scanning also works after I installed hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet, but it was not auto detected, I had to manually configure the IP address.

It helps to disable the firewall, as this sometimes interferes with printing & scanning.

DutchPuppy

#14 Post by DutchPuppy »

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for taking your time to reply. I discovered the IP address via the configuration report of the printer. Then i opened it in the browser and entered the webinterface. There i saw the possibility to print by sending an e-mail !

I have also downloaded the hpliplite-3.16.9-i686.pet
file and installed it. After a reboot i opened the option to manage printers and printer tasks. There i see CUPS 1.5.4. Under administration i tried to find new printers, but the m225dw was not discovered.
So maybe i need to do something additional?

Anyhow at least iam now able to print with HP's webservice from my Puppy Asus netbook by sending files by e-mail! :-)

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

FTTB, omit.

perdido

#16 Post by perdido »

DutchPuppy,

The info MagicZaurus posted could be useful since his/her printer is one of those that requires a plugin ???

Would have been nice if she/he included a link to the software he/she mentioned.

Until that happens, if you like to experiment there are earlier versions available of hplip_scan-3.14.10.pet and hplip_print-3.14.10.pet that ariel just posted today in the Drivers section of the forum

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=48

MagicZaurus

HP Printer

#17 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi,

I still have the pets, but the 3.14 versions should also work. My experience is based on Tahrpup 6.0.5. My advise would be to get printing to work first and then only look at scanning.

Most important is that you disable the Puppy Firewall. By default I think the port CUPS uses for network printing is blocked. After printing is working the firewall can be configured correct, but for testing the best is to totally disable it.

Try to do a port scan on the IP address of the printer. You should see port 631 there. At least that was the case for me and this is the port used by CUPS.

Then you go to the CUPS web interface (localhost:631 in your browser) and Add Printer. I was able to see my printer there.

If you need more help, I might have more time next week.

DutchPuppy

#18 Post by DutchPuppy »

I have installed the hplip_print 3.14.10,pet
Did a reboot, closed the firewall and opened CUPS from the setup -> CUPS printer wizard. Under administration i tried to find printers, but no printer was found. When adding a printer i do not exactly know what to do with this WiFi connected printer....

MagicZaurus

Network Discovery of HP Printer

#19 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi,

I just tested the following. I booted Tahrpup 6.0.5 with pfix=ram, so in pure original condition. Then I open Cups Printer Wizard found in the Setup menu. This will open the browser at localhost:631/. I select Adding Printers and Classes and then on the next page Find New Printers. This already shows the HP M475dn without installing anything. When adding the printer I cannot proceed, as I cannot find the correct driver, but discovery of the printer worked.

Then I installed the hpliplite 3.16.9 and added the printer in CUPS. As my model doesn't show up in the driver list, I selected HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5 and managed to print a test page successful.

I suspect it is important that CUPS can detect your printer over Wifi.

CUPS version here on Tahrpup 6.0.5 is 1.4.8.

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

I think I recall rcrsn51 once suggesting that it is best to install your printer via usb first, then change it to a network connection second. As far as I can tell the 225W has a usb port as well as wifi.

Is it a possibility for you to connect via usb, get the driver correctly installed, then we can find the instructions to switch the connection to wifi?

EDIT : also - you may be able to try the manual procedure for CUPS detection mentioned by rcrsn51 in his post here:
5. CUPS will auto-detect some, but not all, networked printers. If yours is not detected, use the following manual install procedure:
a. Run PeasyPort and scan your network for Port 9100. Get the IP address of the printer.
b. Start the CUPS wizard and open the Add Printer page.
c. Select the protocol AppSocket/JetDirect
d. Enter the Connection URI as: socket://aaa.bbb.cc.dd:9100