Booted 1.0.4 CD and it modified my hard disk! (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Forthy1

Booted 1.0.4 CD and it modified my hard disk! (Solved)

#1 Post by Forthy1 »

Hi all, need some help!

I've just downloaded the puppy live CD image (v1.0.4), set my Pc to boot from the CD, and set it off.

It boots from the CD, does a load of white text ending with "done installing, standby for reboot" at which point it reboots and repeats the process!

Blatently this isn't supposed to happen, and it's also rewritten my bootloader AND copied it's contents to the HDD so that interestingly now that I've taken te Cd out and am booting from the harddisk the exact same thing happens!

What's the crack??

Forthy

#2 Post by Forthy »

Hmmm

Ok now when I reboot from the hard disk it asks me to log-in! WTF is my username and password?

LMAO - aren't live CD's supposed to run off the CD? Isn't that the whole point?

Bancobusto

#3 Post by Bancobusto »

That is very very strange.... Where did you download the ISO from?

You are right, that's not normal. Puppy is not supposed to do those things. :(

Bruce B

Re: Booted 1.0.4 CD and it modified my hard disk!

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Forthy wrote:Hi all, need some help!

I've just downloaded the puppy live CD image (v1.0.4), set my Pc to boot from the CD, and set it off.

It boots from the CD, does a load of white text ending with "done installing, standby for reboot" at which point it reboots and repeats the process!

Blatently this isn't supposed to happen, and it's also rewritten my bootloader AND copied it's contents to the HDD so that interestingly now that I've taken te Cd out and am booting from the harddisk the exact same thing happens!

What's the crack??
I don't think so.
Forthy wrote:Hmmm

Ok now when I reboot from the hard disk it asks me to log-in! WTF is my username and password?

LMAO - aren't live CD's supposed to run off the CD? Isn't that the whole point?
Respectfully, I think there is something you are not telling us. Something you omitted in your two posts. Nobody is going to figure this out, unless you fill in the blanks. The reason why is - Puppy doesn't work that way.

raffy

Wont happen

#5 Post by raffy »

Am typing this so another user assures you that what you described does not happen with Puppy.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

babbs

#6 Post by babbs »

I have never seen Puppy do that to a drive either.

I've used Puppy 1.0.1 live CDs in WinME, and WinXP Home/SP1 systems.
I've used Puppy 1.0.2, 1.0.3 & 1.0.4 live CDs in WinME, WinXP Home&Pro/SP1&SP2, and Win2k systems.
I've used Puppy 1.0.1 live CDs on my dual boot WinME and Fedora box.

With Puppy 1.0.2, I replaced WinME on that dual boot box with Puppy.

I've used live CDs and USB thumb drives to boot from and it always does so without touching the hard drives (unless I explicitly told it otherwise).

Please, as Bruce requested, let us know each step you took that caused this to happen. Start with where you downloaded your copy of Puppy.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

Did you use the md5sum to check if your downloaded iso was intact or corrupted.

Could you supply the specifications of your machine i.e. the make & model, how much RAM it has, the details of the hard drive, partitions and installed operating systems, video details, what peripherals are attached, CDROM, DVD and we will try to figure out WTF happened.

Forthy

#8 Post by Forthy »

OK, first image I downloaded was from one of the reserve sites on the list (because the main ftp site was down), can't remember which one :( .

Just downloaded the image again from the main ftp site, and everything is fine!

Playing away to my hearts content.

Dodgy file somwhere along the line then!

Thanks all :)

Forthy

#9 Post by Forthy »

..and here's a post from the machine in question. Easy when you know how ;)