How to use Brother HL-1212W printer with Tahr6.0.5? [Solved]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Antipodal

How to use Brother HL-1212W printer with Tahr6.0.5? [Solved]

#1 Post by Antipodal »

Hello
They are offering for sale a brand new Brother HL-1212W printer and I would like to buy it if I can use it with my P4 3Ghz_ASUS P5G41T-M LX3_2G RAM_DVD Write desktop that is currently working with Tahrpup6.0.5.
Because I haven't found anything specific about this combination in this forum I'm humbly requesting those who know about these things to please help me to decide because I don't think the offer will be kept much longer
Thank you in advance
Antipodal

PS1: This post was meant to be included in this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015 "How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy"
Please Mr. Forum Administrator, move it there.

PS2: This post has several non registered and 3 registered editions
The most important non registered edition added PS1 and changed the word thread for the word forum.
The first registered edition was made to change the message icon from "warning" to "note"
The second registered edition was made to
  • add PS2
    change the message icon from "note" to "warning"
    change the subject from "Brother HL-1212W" to "UNSOLVED Brother HL-1212W problem"
    change the Subject description from "Offer under pressure - Humbly requesting for help" to "Requesting for help to decide purchase"
    state that I'm making these changes because the only reply I have received can make people believe the problem is solved
PS3 In the third registered edition
I deleted UNSOLVED from the Subject
I changed the subject from "...decide purchase" to "...team up this printer"
I deleted the "Warning" message icon
I added this Post Script 3

PS4 The 6th registered edition was to correct misleading words in the heading of this topic and change color and underline format in the body text.
Last edited by Antipodal on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 20:46, edited 6 times in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Mate, I don't see it listed. Is this an inkjet printer?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Antipodal

#3 Post by Antipodal »

Mate, I don't see it listed. Is this an inkjet printer?
Thank you
Are you needing something like this...?
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-1212W ... B00NUBGFGO

Antipodal

I bought it

#4 Post by Antipodal »

Since my last post in this thread, I have discovered some data about this printer
It has been sold in many countries of America, Europe and Asia (including countries like Canada, the UK and Vietnam) and the manufacturer offers almost world wide support here

English speakers can find everything related to support and downloadshere.
The manufacturer suggests Linux users to choose between rpm downloads and deb downloadshere

In this page, under a small heading that says "More information" I have found a linktext that says "Linux information" that opens the "Brother Linux Driver Home Page" with a lot of links to other URL and with a lot of information that seems to relate this printer to many different (non Puppy) Linux operative systems that provide information about the evaluated environment, notifications and prerequired procedures, driver installs, print commands and other sort of information.

From here you can start rpm downloads of the driver install tool, the rpm LPR driver and the rpm CUPS wraper driver for your printer.
From hereyou can start deb downloads of the driver install tool, the deb LPR driver and the deb CUPS wraper driver for your printer.

Encouraged by all this Linux related data and a small review I read here (and though my technological knowledge and management of the English language are rather poor) I finally decided to take the risks and to trust in the Puppy Comunity mutual support commitment. In other words, I bought it a few days ago! :shock:

So now, here I am, trying to figure out what are the next steps I must take to make it team up with my Tahrpup6.0.5 CE :shock:
Antipodal

MagicZaurus

#5 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi,

I have no experience with any Brother printers, but the DEB packages should be able to be installed on Tahrpup.

Take a look here for detailed instructions.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 089af1ad9b

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Antipodal, your Tahr-605 is a 32 or 64bit?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Antipodal

Brother HL-1212W problem

#7 Post by Antipodal »

Hello Semme
I'm using a 32 bit Tahrpup6.0.5 CE PAE
Thanks for your time
Antipodal.

Antipodal

Brother HL-1212W problem

#8 Post by Antipodal »

@ MagicZaurus
Sorry for the delayed answer and thank you for your suggestion but
MagicZaurus wrote:Take a look here for detailed instructions.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 089af1ad9b
I haven't seen anything specific related to Brother HL-1212W and Tahrpup6.0.5 CE PAE 32 bits there.

Can you please pinpoint the post where I can read it?

Thanks in advance.
Antipodal

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Antipodal, while it's not listed in rcrsn51's list, I have a small suspicion it might..
A few old Brother models also require the "csh" shell instead of the "bash" shell used by Puppy. See the list here under Pre-required Procedure (6). If you have one of these printers, install the csh-6.16.00-i486.pet from below before continuing.
Still, go the direct route. Install his Debbi pet, then carefully follow his *detailed* instructions under "PRINTERS."

==

PS -- If you're not comfortable with Pup's ever lousy Urxvt terminal, install LXTerminal from PPM beforehand.

Here you can easily adjust text style, size and colors. You'll also have a copy'n paste friendly :wink: terminal.

==

PSS -- After the the debbi cmds, pay attention here..
However, before launching the CUPS Wizard, there is another step. The Brother driver keeps its own printer configuration settings separate from CUPS. In these settings, the default paper size may be set to A4. So if you are using Letter size, you must manually change it.
If you plan on using "letter" size, /opt/brother/Printers/HL1210W/inf/brHL1210Wrc is the file to edit.
[HL1210W]
Language=LANG_USA
Resolution=600
PaperSource=Tray1
Duplex=OFF
DuplexType=Long
PaperType=A4 changes to PaperType=Letter
Media=PlainPaper
Copies=1
Sleep=PrinterDefault
TonerSaveMode=OFF
This would be a manual edit on your part.

Antipodal

Post subject: Brother HL-1212W problem

#10 Post by Antipodal »

Hello Semme!

I 'm very cautious when it comes to install new things into my system and I haven't plugged my new printer into the Alternate Current (AC) socket nor connected it to my motherboard by means of a USB cable yet.
But after doing that I'll keep in mind the advice you have given me in your last post.

Thank you for it and sorry for my delay in responding.

Antipodal.

MagicZaurus

#11 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi Antipodal,

if you are worried to mess up your system by installing something, you can boot Tahrpup 6.0.5 with pfix=ram, that means nothing goes into your save file. Then try to get the printer working. If everything is fine, you can boot normal and repeat the steps.

Antipodal

Brother HL-1212W problem

#12 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you for that Magic!
There are lots of things I should remember and know more about.
"pfix=ram" is one of them.
Do you know where I can read more about it?
Thanks for your time

MagicZaurus

Boot with PFIX=RAM

#13 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi,

at the very beginning when Puppy boots you can press F2, then you will get a page with the explanations of boot options.

Then key in there "puppy pfix=ram" this will start Puppy with ignoring the save file. This is assuming you are booting Puppy from USB or CD/DVD. For a full install on hard disk I'm not sure if this is available, as I usually boot from USB and also have my save file on USB.

You can find some information here. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParametersPuppy

Antipodal

Re: Boot with PFIX=RAM

#14 Post by Antipodal »

Sorry for my late reply and thank you for your post and for reminding me this URL

Antipodal

Brother HL-1212W problem

#15 Post by Antipodal »

With my Brother HL-1212W printer and the computer that is described in my signature and based on what I understood from RCRSN51's threads (1) (2) and from reading other posts and documents; in the following order, I have:
  • Powered on the printer

Connected it to my computer by means of a short USB cable.

Powered on my computer and booted into my usual Tahrpup6.0.5 PAE 32bit operating system.

Downloaded the debbi-1.2.pet file that RCRSN51 offers here and saved it at /root.

Downloaded the hl1210wlpr-3.0.1-1.i386.deb file that Brother offers here and saved it at /root.

Downloaded to hl1210wcupswrapper-3.0.1-1.i386.deb file that Brother offers here and saved it at /root.

Clicked on the debbi-1.2.pet file that I saved at /root.

Launched CUPS and seen at http://localhost:631/printers/ that it still doesn't detect my Brother HL-1212W

Moved to another CUPS tab and seen at http://localhost:631/admin/ that CUPS detects as an Available Printer a Brother HL-1210W series (Brother HL-1210W series) that is a different model of the same brand.

Accepting the similar model that CUPS detects hasn't made my printer work.
The three previous lines are showing that I'm failing. :(
I'm surely doing something wrong but I can't figure out what and I don't know what to do to make my HL-1212W print

While I keep on researching... any ideas, comments or questions?
They shall be welcomed :) !
Thank you in advance
Antipodal.

Edited to correct grammar mistakes
Last edited by Antipodal on Mon 31 Oct 2016, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Posting from a P4 3Ghz_ASUS P5G41T-M LX3_2G RAM_DVD Write desktop with no internal HDD
Saving my stuff on flash sticks and in external USB HDD

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

You need to follow the procedures and do all that is posted.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 619#306619

You have all the stuff downloaded to /root, but not all installed.

Example steps to install what you downloaded:
(I changed this to match the files you downloaded)
Download and install debbi-1.2.pet from the attachment below. It copies the file debbi to the folder /root/my-applications/bin.

This little program will extract the contents of a DEB package to your hard drive and run the post-install script. You will use it for both printer and scanner drivers.

Go to your /root folder and press the back-tick key (this is usually the lower-case ~ key above Tab). This opens a terminal window. To display a list of files, type:

Code: Select all

ls
Now type:

debbi hl1210wlpr-3.0.1-1.i386.deb
followed by

debbi hl1210wcupswrapper-3.0.1-1.i386.deb
This procedure is an ideal situation for using Tab Completion to avoid having to type the whole filename. Try typing:

debbi <space> mfc <tab> <enter>
In most cases, you can ignore any error messages from the debbi script.

Debbi installs the printer driver and puts a PPD file in the folder /usr/share/cups/model. Depending on your model, it may also add a printer in CUPS attached to a USB port, ready to use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Antipodal

Brother HL-1212W problem

#17 Post by Antipodal »

@bigpup
Thank you for your last post it has been very helpful.
I'm still struggling but I will give more details in my next post.
Best regards

Antipodal

Brother HL-1212W problem

#18 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you all! :D for helping me in getting my new printer work!

In my descriptions I have a tendency to get into details that I am not sure people really care about.

This is why, I will only say that a great part of the delay in making my printer work was because at that same time I was solving other problems that had nothing to do with printing or computing and that another important part the delay was due to errors caused by eagerness to recover the time I was losing.

Perhaps, if at the time of my second to last post, I had known what the Console Tab Completion meant and how to use it, that post would not have been the failure report it was.

Thank you for teaching me! :) :D :)
If it not were because I know that some people believe some acronyms insult their intelligence and nobody’s intelligence deserves being insulted, I would end this post writing GBYA. :wink:
Antipodal

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Antipodal, for what it's worth, your English is quite good. Better than most native English speakers, I'd say. :lol:

Also, I can move topics around in the forum but I can't add them to existing topics.

greengeek

Re: Brother HL-1212W problem

#20 Post by greengeek »

Antipodal wrote:If it not were because I know that some people believe some acronyms insult their intelligence and nobody’s intelligence deserves being insulted, I would end this post writing GBYA. :wink:
I haven't seen that before. What does it stand for - maybe "Good Bye Y'All" ?