2.13 CD - some desktop icons don't work (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
JohnMc

2.13 CD - some desktop icons don't work (Solved)

#1 Post by JohnMc »

:o

Downloaded and burned a copy of Puppy 2.13, seamonkey-fulldrivers version. I have noticed some desktop icons just don't work:

- default browser
- default contact
- default mail
- default html editor

This is straight off the CD no mods or tweaks.

Thanks!

amish

#2 Post by amish »

that's strange indeed. most of the scripts are in /usr/local/bin. most of the icons are in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps or something like that. right click on one and you'll see the correct folder.

to change an icon right click and "set icon." to set the icon, drag the desired image from the icons folder right onto the box in the middle if the set icon window- typing is optional!

to create an icon, drag the script for it (may be the only needed step...) from /usr/local/bin right onto the desktop.

that all assumes those scripts work. they usually do- the following is how to change or repair the scripts: (three methods shown, choose one you like)

1a. opening the file using the terminal:

enter the following:
leafpad /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser &

or this:
leafpad /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor &

making sure there is a space after "leafpad" and a space before "&"

1b. opening the file using rox:

click the "home" icon on the desktop to run rox-filer, then the up arrow (or triangle) icon in the rox toolbar to go to the / directory. click the folder icons for /usr, local, and bin, then find the icon for defaultbrowser. right click, select and "open as text"

(note that you can drag most of these icons onto the desktop.)

2. editing the file:

it will look something like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec opera "$@"

"opera" may be "mozstart" in either case, whatever you type in a terminal to start your browser, for instance:

firefox

should work here as well. so the new file will be:

#!/bin/sh
exec firefox "$@"

save the file and close the editor, and that's it!

for defaulttexteditor:

same as for the browser- the part you should change will probably be geany, beaver, or leafpad. simply replace with the name of the one you want as default, or with the name of whatever alternative you have installed.

most default... scripts work this way. just remember to leave as much of the text intact as possible, only change the part you have to.

still another way:

pizzasgood has created a utility named defaults-wizard to handle defaultscripts like these. it's available at: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13429

download this, restart ice window manager or jwm from the shutdown or logoff menu, open it from the menu and click the name of the file you want to change. use the file window to locate the program you want as default.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

check the md5sum

#3 Post by Lobster »

that is not right - check the md5sum of your iso download

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Md5
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

JohnMc

#4 Post by JohnMc »

Using Amish's comments I went and ran a script in rxvt.

Guess what?

Segmentation fault.

So Lobster sounds like you might be on to something. I am going to check the MD5 when I get home tonight and make sure it downloaded correctly.

JohnMc

Solved!

#5 Post by JohnMc »

Gentlemen,

Ran the md5sum and yep, the version I downloaded had a very different signature! Blew that copy away and got a valid checksum and everything works fine now.

That's one of the few times I have gotten a bad download in all my years of working the net.

Thanks guys.