How to install correctly KeePass2 in tahrpup 6.0.5 ?

Booting, installing, newbie
emvedeesje

How to install correctly KeePass2 in tahrpup 6.0.5 ?

#1 Post by emvedeesje »

In tahrpup 6.0.5 Puppy Package Manager, searching 'keepass' there are 4 files:
keepassx_0.4.3+dfsg
kpcli_2.3-1
libfile-keepass-perl_2.03-1
keepass2_2.25+dfsg

Installing them all results in KeePass2 and KeePassX in the menusystem.

KeePassX works, KeePass2 not.

I want KeePass2 to be compatible with my Ubuntu-16.04.1 systems.

clicking /usr/bin/keepass2 also does not work.

Is there a solution ?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Welcome Mate!

Hmm.. 38mb's worth of libmono may be the reason.

Did you auto-install with all its dependencies?

Since it's a script, what's the return on "keepass2" from a terminal?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

I've used Acerose Password Vault v1.02 under WINE within Puppy Linux, for years now.
I keep the portable version on a Flash drive, and run it using any Puppy->WINE combination.
e.g. I use it with "Banksy 3" for my online banking.
Only ever connect it when needed.

It's a really good program.
No negatives; lots of positives.

How good is Keepass2?

emvedeesje

#4 Post by emvedeesje »

@Semme
Did you auto-install with all its dependencies?
that is the thing that is the problem for me: how do you know which are the independencies.

I am familiar with Ubuntu's Synaptic who marks all the independencies automaticaly, but here in puppy in the PPM i do not find it.
Since it's a script, what's the return on "keepass2" from a terminal?

Code: Select all

root# keepass2

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type ‘KeePass.Forms.MainForm’ from assembly ‘KeePass, Version=2.25.0.41652, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756‘.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type ‘KeePass.Forms.MainForm’ from assembly ‘KeePass, Version=2.25.0.41652, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756‘.
root#
@Sylvander
How good is Keepass2?
I started once with the first version of Keepass.
But because Ubuntu 16.04 has Keepass2 in his repositories, it was necessary to upgrade.
Keepass2 has a new database organisation who is incompatible with the former Keepass.
Because i used this Keepass systems already, for me it is not an option to change again.
I use Keepass2 in Ubuntu, Mint, Windows10 and Android, depending on what machine i am on.
And because puppy seems to me an ideal transportable system on USB, i want to use Keepass2 there also.
The other way around: using Figaro on puppy, is not an option, because then i have to change all my other systems.
In keypass(2) you can manage groups, ex: banking or shop or linux.
A key or group can have a different icon.
Passwords can bij generated.
User and password can be copied to the clipboard, to paste in the inputfield.
I like Keepass2 and use it every day.

So long...

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

emvedeesje wrote:...for me it is not an option to change again.
Same for me using "Acerose Password Vault" [APV].
I often wonder about using a Puppy Password Vault program, but it would be necessary for me to transfer over at least a substantial portion of my HUGE number of entries.
And then I wonder whether a Puppy alternative can be used portably or not.
It's really handy to be able to carry various Puppies around on Flash Drives [or CD-RW disks], and also be able to carry my APV around on a Flash Drive.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Dependency checking is auto. My guess is you didn't let PPM finish calculating the dep list for KP2 and so what you probably wound up with was an incomplete install. Perhaps better as a novice you go back into PPM and hit the configure button. From here open the "options" tab and check "use traditional, non-auto interface," OK the window and let PPM restart.

It may be best however to try'n remove KP2 and any suggestions PPM makes before trying to reinstall.

If it didn't have so many gay-ass dependencies, I'd give you a hand. Done right, you should be OK.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

emvedeesje

#7 Post by emvedeesje »

€Semme
I succeed a complete install with all the depencies via PPM.
Reboot.
Starting KeePass2 from the menu: no reaction.
In the terminal:

root# cd /usr/bin
root# keepass2
/usr/bin/keepass2: line 2: /usr/bin/cli: No such file or directory
root
The contents of /usr/bin/keepass2:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/cli /usr/lib/keepass2/KeePass.exe "$@"
Thus: ther is no file /usr/bin/cli

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Retry KP2 after running this line: ln -s /usr/bin/kpcli /usr/bin/cli

Is the message then:
Can't locate Crypt/Rijndael.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Crypt::Rijndael module)

emvedeesje

#9 Post by emvedeesje »

@Semme
Retry KP2 after running this line: ln -s /usr/bin/kpcli /usr/bin/cli
Until now no reaction from the menu, but via command line:

root# keepass2
Can't locate version.pm in @INC (you may need to install the version module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.18 /usr/share/perl/5.18 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/bin/cli line 20.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/cli line 20.
root#
Are present:
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.18
Are not present:
/etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2
/usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2

In PPM is libperl5.18_5.18.2 green marked as installed.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

:D It's lying to you!
In PPM is libperl5.18_5.18.2 green marked as installed.
The difference between Pup and the big boys boils down to libs. Pup around 200mb's, BB's about 700mb's. Hmm, those extra 500mb's? Yep, mostly libs, and libs you're gonna need @ one point or another if you plan on running Pup as an everyday OS. Most peeps new to Pup simply can't understand this.

Oh, and the "installed" libperl5? The pkg that's NOT THERE will tack on another 150mb's.

:roll: I'll spare you the lecture.

Fact is, with a gay-ass pkg like KP2, you need Perl modules, and primarily because Pup ships with a limited build.
CPAN Versus Your Distribution

Ideally, Perl modules should be installed from your distribution’s repositories, but sometimes that isn’t possible. Maybe the module you want isn’t packaged by your distribution, or maybe you need a different version. If that’s the case, Perl modules are often installed from CPAN.
As CPAN itself will occupy approximately 35mb's in ~/, I can help you get set up if you've got the disk space.

This could ultimately be symlinked out if you're running frugal.

Comment on how you're running Pup..

ariel

#11 Post by ariel »

For Puppy Tahr I've packaged keepassx and you can dowload it at https://lab2000-linux.homepc.it Just look in the download section.

Welcome to the kennel :wink:
:arrow: [url=https://lab2000-linux.homepc.it]lab2000-linux.homepc.it[/url]

emvedeesje

#12 Post by emvedeesje »

@Semme
OK, i understand your explanation.
I suspected already somewhat in this direction.
When you compare the few hundred MB that puppy occupies, with 8GB from Ubuntu, then you know it.
Probably Keepass2 is written in a completely new style, compared with the first version, and that should be the reason.
Latest modern applications are impossible to run on old hardware.
And because puppy is the favourit on old hardware, its not likely to try running KP2.

So i decide not to use KP2 on puppy.
It was only an idea to have my own USB-puppy which i could use everywhere tot test computers, plus to have my own password database + uncrypted data.
Many tanks for your help, it opend my eyes!

2ariel
I cannot access it because of security reasons.
Thanks anyway!

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Wise choice. You've made :wink: the right call.

You can forget about Ariel's build as well. It's not current enough for your requirements.