Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 15:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 19 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct 2016, 04:41    Post subject: But cannot play CDs ?  

Problems for reading CDs with Gnome-Mplayer.
XenialDog for rescue, USB 4GB , wireless still perfect and easy with frisbee.
But cannot play CDs ?
French team trying to repair Gnome-mplayer
Synaptic.jpg
 Description   Sucessfull with Audacious (dowloaded using synaptic)
 Filesize   53.2 KB
 Viewed   2159 Time(s)

Synaptic.jpg

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct 2016, 09:35    Post subject: Re: But cannot play CDs ?  

Pelo wrote:
Problems for reading CDs with Gnome-Mplayer.
XenialDog for rescue, USB 4GB , wireless still perfect and easy with frisbee.
But cannot play CDs ?

Yes, thanks for reporting, Pelo.
It's because of mplayer not compiled with cdda support, fixed now by recompiling (with CD and DVD support), to upgrade gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 :
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 # will upgrade to newer version 1:1.0.6.2

Or upgrade with synaptic (click the reload button top-left first)

Added to Changes and Fixes List

Fred

The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2016, 07:27    Post subject:  

Alright here's the recipe how to destroy/upgrade your XD to YD (16.10). But I recommend doing this on a fresh install. This is official method via GUI and involves pulling some bloatware (120mb), but software it pulls actually useful (for me it was super useful). There is unofficial command line method which is presumably less wasteful, but you'll have to google it on your own.

Go to synaptic and press 'reload' then [bugfix by Fred! lock 'yad'] install 'update-manager' and 'software-properties-gtk' alternatively open terminal and enter following
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install software-properties-gtk update-manager

And now you have a nifty piece of software called 'Software & Updates'. There are also new menu entries 'Software Updater' - it'll automatically updates packages info and fetches updates (e.g. security, recomended etc) with offer to install them. And 'Additional Drivers' - I'm not sure if it even working:D as it only offers me proprietary driver for CPU)) Maybe if you have decent hardware it will offer something decent.

Go to 'Software & Updates', 'Ubuntu Software' tab and 'Download from:' pick closest server - I actually found mirror on a resource to which I have unlimited speed access. That also might be doable via config files.
Next. Go to 'Updates' tab and set 'Notify me of a new updates' to 'For any new version'.
Next. Launch 'Software Updater' install everything (you will be asked about config files to keep them or replace - pick whatever, I picked keep), save, reboot.
After reboot launch 'Software Updater' again you will be prompted to upgrate to 16.10)) And again during upgrade I picked 'keep' but I don't think it matters. After upgrade you will be noted that some obsolete software requires removal, I selected to keep it (basically it's just rox terminal and some bits and bobs and I was lazy to installing something instead of roxterm).
Last step - upgrade kernel)
Addendum: forgot! XenDog repository will be disabled after upgrade, you can enable it by going to 'Software & Updates', tab 'Other Software' check 'https...dropbox...XenialDog...'
And one more step as pointed out by Fred: type in terminal 'dpkg-reconfigure dash' then select 'No'!
Update! One more thingie I invented, type this humongous command when you want to completely dispose of 'Software & Updates', 'Additional Drivers' and 'Software Updater'
Code:
apt-get purge aptdaemon-data aspell aspell-en dh-python dictionaries-common distro-info-data emacsen-common gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0 gir1.2-packagekitglib-1.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-vte-2.91 gir1.2-webkit2-4.0 iso-codes libappindicator3-1 libaspell15 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4 libenchant1c2a libgeoclue0 libgirepository-1.0-1 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libgudev-1.0-0 libharfbuzz-icu0 libhyphen0 libindicator3-7 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 libmpdec2 liborc-0.4-0 libpam-systemd libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libpython3-stdlib libpython3.5-minimal libpython3.5-stdlib libsecret-1-0 libsecret-common libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libxslt1.1 lsb-release notification-daemon patch policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome python-apt-common python3 python3-apt python3-aptdaemon python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets python3-chardet python3-dbus python3-debian python3-defer python3-distupgrade python3-gi python3-minimal python3-pkg-resources python3-pycurl python3-six python3-software-properties python3-update-manager python3-xkit python3.5 python3.5-minimal software-properties-common software-properties-gtk ubuntu-drivers-common ubuntu-release-upgrader-core ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk update-manager update-manager-core update-notifier update-notifier-common

this will dispose of all 120 megs of bloatware, BUT if you are using remastering this will regain only 20-30 meg. After that (or before that via 'Software & Updates' - 'Other Software') remove commented line after Xenial Dog repository '# Disabled during upgrade...' or you won't be able to enter 'Repository' settings in 'Synaptic'.

Note that remastering to 16.10 will require minimum 3 GB of RAM (3.5 to be honest). And adding kernel upgrade to that step will bump it, by my calculations, to 3.8 GB which is impossible on a 32 bit OS) So I recommend using HDD for both system upgrade remasters.

Here is link to already upgraded 'XenialDog' (presumably 'YakketyDog'?) [here was link] (347mb) click flag on the bottom to change language.
It is based on a 'Firmware-all' version. It is absolutely same with following changes:
- Firefox removed! Yes, no browser at all by default.
- Bleachbit installed (system cleaner)
- Software & Updates/Software Updater/Additional Drivers installed. Software Updater switched to 'Autoupdates - Never' but I added launcher to tint panel.
- Compton installed - smallest and lightest compositor (Mint also uses compton), shadows disabled to cause less impact (but you can google whatever compton config). It's convenient for vsync and overall user experience. Added compton toggle button (blue gear) to tint panel so you can switch it on/off on the fly. Disabling - go to /root/Startup remove 'compton' script. Recommend disabling it for JWM (it works ok there but has some issues with wallpapers).
- Interface updated While I'm at editing added Numix Red and Blue themes, to correspond them added modified tint red, blue and green themes (go to tint themes and 'default/gaia/crunchbang' will actually be same theme with diferent colors), also added modified nightmare theme to openbox gui 'N1ghtmare' to match red, green and blue colors; new Plataro-Numix (huge icon set, 12mb and 2mb compressed) icon theme https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1137261/ modified to less eyepopping orange folders theme, hence 'Doge', and Adwaita icon theme replaced Ubuntu Human (just weights less), also new cursor DMZ-White and DMZ-Black
- Kernel 4.8.0-26
- Everything updated)

After booting up it uses ~110mb of memory with compton on and ~100 with compton off.

*Oibaf opensource video drivers are now support 16.10! https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers (might help with hd video, games, composite de)
**It looks better than on a screenshot:D
xendog-20161101094553.jpg
Description  Yakkety Dog :D
jpg

Download 
Filename  xendog-20161101094553.jpg 
Filesize  106.18 KB 
Downloaded  313 Time(s) 

Last edited by The Flying Cat on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 14:02; edited 3 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2016, 18:27    Post subject:  

Thanks Flying Cat!

I will try your yakketydog within the next days.

Fred

fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2016, 15:55    Post subject:  

Hi Flying cat,

OK, tried yakkety.
First time booted to a blank screen, but tried another time and it got to the desktop but took very long.
Noticed an error message "flip_done timed out" and a google search tells me I'm not the only one with this problem. (boots only half of the times to the desktop and takes very long).
But maybe my hardware is too old for this new kernel.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218581

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1637347

Nice job, btw, how it looks Smile

One very important thing for programs using gtkdialog, e.g. frisbee, pburn, debdog-installer, is that the symlink /bin/sh needs to point to bash (not /bin/sh > /bin/dash as probably the upgrade to 16.10 forced)
Otherwise these programs don't work properly at all.
The official way to do is:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure dash

And choose 'No' to become sh > bash

For the rest it worked fine for me once booted to the desktop (except roxterm, which seems kinda broken, size preference can't be saved somehow).

EDIT: oh, and the latest yad version doesn't display some programs well, better to downgrade yad (gtk2 version).

Fred

The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov 2016, 02:58    Post subject:  

Hello, Fred)

Can confirm - rox doesn't look good at all and spawns many gtk3 errors/warnings in .xsession-errors. I don't think it even in repos anymore)) Looks like it's abandonware now. Otherwise why would Ubuntu wanted to delete it.

Actually I had some small yet annoing problems with 16.04 and most times when I googled them solution was "Fixed in 16.10"Very Happy

As for the kernel - will do more testing and compare 4.8 with 4.4 boot. Will apply your suggestions and post updated version.

Thank you for trying it out)
Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov 2016, 23:17    Post subject: XenialDog now can play CDs (songs)  

Gnome-mplayer 1.0.7 check for updated version.
I started XenialDog without loading saved sessions. It's quite half an hour to set everything, keyboard and update packages. I feed back soon
In fact version 1.0.9 is the one provided.
XenialDog now can play CDs, for its passengers.
CD.jpg
 Description   Some details to check, shall see later
 Filesize   64.49 KB
 Viewed   1932 Time(s)

CD.jpg

Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov 2016, 23:52    Post subject: Wireless  

Wireless : WICD installed to check if more stable than with Frisbee. Feed back soon. Ip found quickly, but for how long time....
I feel a little bit guilty to take te OS by the other end. From a passenger using it.
But many things are working very well. Confirmed on Puppy Facebook by other people.
Linux forums are like repair stations. So newbies wonder is they could use Linux OS, technicians look so experienced, and active to repair all these problems.
Wink WICD did not loose wireless connection the whole last session.

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov 2016, 05:49    Post subject:  

*** Experimental ***

Script 'new-kernel' attached, to install new kernel from (downloaded) deb.
It's modified 'upgrade-kernel' script, I used it to experiment with different kernels on yakkety. Same as 'upgrade-kernel' it will generate new initrd and copy vmlinuz (in frugal installed directory), no new "pinning" will be done
Because XenialDog depends on aufs module included in the kernel, there's not much choice. (most newer kernels found on the web are compiled without aufs)
The liquorix kernel from here works for me (also on Yakkety):
https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/past/l/linux-liquorix/
Direct link to PAE version:
https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/past/l/linux-liquorix/linux-image-4.7.0-8.1-liquorix-686-pae_4.7-9_i386.deb
There's also a liquorix 4.8 version but it gave me problems (extreme slow boot).

Fred
new-kernel.tar.gz
Description  Install new kernel from (downloaded) deb
gz

Download 
Filename  new-kernel.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.61 KB 
Downloaded  182 Time(s) 
xendog-20161104101904.jpg
 Description   Liquorix kernel on XenialDog
 Filesize   7.75 KB
 Viewed   1789 Time(s)

xendog-20161104101904.jpg

Illutorium

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov 2016, 09:13    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
*** Experimental ***

Script 'new-kernel' attached, to install new kernel from (downloaded) deb.
It's modified 'upgrade-kernel' script, I used it to experiment with different kernels on yakkety. Same as 'upgrade-kernel' it will generate new initrd and copy vmlinuz (in frugal installed directory), no new "pinning" will be done
Because XenialDog depends on aufs module included in the kernel, there's not much choice. (most newer kernels found on the web are compiled without aufs)
The liquorix kernel from here works for me (also on Yakkety):
https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/past/l/linux-liquorix/
Direct link to PAE version:
https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/past/l/linux-liquorix/linux-image-4.7.0-8.1-liquorix-686-pae_4.7-9_i386.deb
There's also a liquorix 4.8 version but it gave me problems (extreme slow boot).

Fred

AUFS will be depends for RAMdisk,when that's doesn't be mean that's are be "useless" anyway.
Beside I boughted at Lightweight in a woof-CE testing at 4.2.8 for My Own build' (Trusty Tahr Lite)
When in a some kernels (only for Modern as PAE and x64 after of 3.17 - with outline firmware from 2014 package') can't be place at Newest firmware of AMD Radeon as I bought at My build anyway'
Maybe that's OS are be pretty good for 64GB+ only because a hardly who anybody are be have a 64GB RAM anyway... [If be want to migrate without a less broke functions of High than 4GB+: Let's try to PAE from My Own build' - Very lightweight,and with some Modern drivers']
The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov 2016, 15:35    Post subject:  

Done testing, rebuilded new versions. Checked everything, sa far as I could, everything just works... primarily ok. BUT 4.8 kernel does slower at boot than 4.4, like 3 second or so. Also noticed that Frisbee clogging booting pretty hard, like 4s)

3 versions... because I can)
All derivates from same build, all share this:
- Based on 'Firmware-all' version;
- System upgraded to 16.10 Yakkety Yak (so I guess now it is Yakkety Dog) following algorithm here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=930918#930918
- Firefox removed!
- Yad pinned to original 0.28.1 version;
- Xarchiver replaced with File Roller (forgot mention it first time);
- Bleachbit installed (system cleaner);
- 'Shutdown' and 'Reboot' buttons removed to 'Shutdown Menu' (can be reverted to original by importing corresponding config files from /home/puppy/.config/openbox);
- Roxterm replaced with Lxterminal (everywhere, but not in JWM, rox pinboard and warlock bar) - since it kinda obsoleted and it was better to replace it with something;
- Compton installed - smallest and lightest compositor (Mint also uses compton), shadows disabled to cause less impact (but you can google whatever compton config). It's convenient for vsync and overall user experience. Added compton toggle button (blue gear) to tint panel so you can switch it on/off on the fly. Disabling: go to /root/Startup remove 'compton' script. NEW added blur to panels! Should one find blur undesirable (blur may cause slowdowns) then go to folder '.config' file 'compton.conf' and comment line 124 (blur background);
- Interface updated (again): added Numix Red and Blue themes, to correspond them added modified tint themes - red, blue and green, also added modified nightmare theme to openbox gui 'N1ghtmare' to match red, green and blue colors; new Plataro-Numix icon theme https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1137261/ modified to less eyepopping orange folders theme, hence 'Doge', and Adwaita icon theme replaced Ubuntu Human (just weights less), also new cursor DMZ-White and DMZ-Black. Fixed previous interface errors;
- Found small error in original XenialDog - RMB menu on desktop had File Manager linked to 'xfe', linked to 'pcmanfm';
- Everything updated)

Basically just upgrade to 16.10 with super facelift without noticable drawback and performance impact.

Update was wondering why new isos so fat, it turns out there are piece of 4.4 kernel stuck in the /boot folder - I remember removing old kernel after upgrade (via synaptic) and then something gone wrong, then I tried again or something and 4.4 was removed. Turns out not completely( Links updated.

Update2 rejoice rox pinboard and jwm users! 'Grey' problem solved. Please follow this link http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=931577#931577

Here be Red *link removed* (317mb) please click flag on the bottom to change language.
It has following:
- Software & Updates/Software Updater/Additional Drivers installed. Software Updater switched to 'Autoupdates - Never' but I added launcher to tint panel. That might be pretty useful software, so I recommend at least checking it out or try on your own set ups;
- Kernel 4.8.0-26;
- Loads 27 seconds, after booting up it uses ~110mb of memory with compton on and ~100 with compton off.

Here be Blue *link removed* (284mb)
- Custom kernel 4.7.0-8.1-liquorix;
- Loads 24 seconds, after booting up it uses ~100mb of memory with compton on and ~90 with compton off!
This is some magical kernel! It loads faster and uses less memory than even original Xenial Dog (on my hardware from same weary flash loads 25s, uses 100m)! I actually was about to downgrading to 4.4 when Fred posted new tool with this kernel:D

And Green (link removed) sorry no time to update, leaving entry for comparsion purposes
- Freesbe replaced with Wicd;
- Kernel 4.8.0-26;
- Loads 24 seconds, after booting up it uses ~130mb of memory with compton on and ~120 with compton off.

Please be noted that 16.10 uses gtk 3.20 which is not compatible with gtk 3.18 and lower - GTK3 apps (like 'openbox gui' or 'synaptic') will look weird with not updated themes. Surprising no one most themes from repository not compatible with gtk 3.20, greybird and numix are compatible, as for the rest - you may try blackbird, breeze, arc and... I think that is it)

*Oibaf opensource video drivers are now support 16.10! https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers (might help with hd video, games, composite de) good drivers especially if your gpu old, legacy, amd (I swear amd at some point was selling 'new' cards that already was legacy - without drivers) or some weird intel.
2016-11-04r.jpg
Description  Red
jpg

Download 
Filename  2016-11-04r.jpg 
Filesize  240.15 KB 
Downloaded  276 Time(s) 
2016-11-04b.jpg
Description  Blue
jpg

Download 
Filename  2016-11-04b.jpg 
Filesize  245.41 KB 
Downloaded  261 Time(s) 
2016-11-04g.jpg
Description  Green
jpg

Download 
Filename  2016-11-04g.jpg 
Filesize  226.93 KB 
Downloaded  283 Time(s) 

Last edited by The Flying Cat on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 09:57; edited 11 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov 2016, 17:28    Post subject:  

Hey Flying Cat

Thanks! You must have had some fun with it, 3 versions, WOW! Smile

Obviously the problem I'm having with the 4.8 kernel must be hardware related, because for you boot time is only 3 sec slower (compared with 4.4 kernel), for me it's more than 20 sec slower (delay is just before or during login) that is... IF it boots (half of the times left with a black screen and have to do a forced shutdown)

So.. I'll go for the blue version, will report back probably tomorrow.

P.S. I wonder btw, why you say that 3GB RAM is required for the upgrade process, is for you the memory consumption becoming that high when just installing software? Never seen that.
Edit: re-reading your post, I think maybe you mean the disk space required, or when you use EXIT:/.. option for porteus-boot, then tmpfs gets full quickly, ok now I stop guessing... Question

Fred

The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov 2016, 02:29    Post subject:  

Long story short: you are sitting on a 16.04, then upgrade to 16.10 arrived, supposing you are remastering via ram, then since new system updates will consume somewhat like 1.2-1.3gb, then remaster will make copy of that, so +1.3 and there is also needs for outputted file that is like 300-400mb, not to mention compression itself require some memory to work.
So 1.3+1.3+0.4=3.0
All this applies only to remastering via ram. With EXIT: option)

As for the YakketyDog: If somebody can make them smaller or find and fix bugs I would be very appreciative if you could post updated iso. Also you can use themes, icons and compton however you like (theoretically should work even under Debian 8, including Numix themes*) - compton config tuned for smallest possible hardware load (and pretty much self explanatory if you are not satisfied with it), also works with XFCE and presumably LXDE, I believe Mate overrides compton config. I don't think I would be availiable in the near month or so.
*Numix themes availiable only in 16.10 (16.04 has red numix theme and it is somewhat buggy).
dancytron

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov 2016, 17:33    Post subject:  

I installed Yakety Dog Blue to my hard drive, Porteus boot, save on exit only.

I'm not sure what Compton is supposed to do, but it was taking 50% of my CPU per Conky. I figured out how to turn it off and it is running well now.

Installed Firefox, posting from it now.

Will ad to this post if I notice anything earth shattering.

Dan

edit: something messed up with Rox Desktop. Switched to Rox. Got an error that background was missing. Went to set wallpaper and it only appeared as a background to the Conky display, the rest was blank, see attached.
xendog-20161105164229.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   44.17 KB
 Viewed   1618 Time(s)

xendog-20161105164229.jpg

The Flying Cat

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov 2016, 04:01    Post subject:  

Unfortunately I can't look it up in the near future, but here what was going on:

50% load on cpu is because of blur, that is only operation that is doing with cpu help, rest should be done via gpu (strange only that it was constant). Also since there are no visual differences that means that gpu drivers are not working, or it does not support any good open gl (glx backend). Which is also a thing with old radeon gpu (should be used xrandr backend). But that is why there is toggle button) So, yes, again - to disable compton press blue gear and remove compton script from Startup folder. Then you may want to remove launcher (blue gear button) from panel or rewire it to whatever, like firefox.

Completely forgot about rox desktop! Message about missing background is not error) Somewhere in config files written that a specific file should be used as wallpaper, a file that I happen to remove) And grey background - I thought it was something with JWM! This is a transparency issue, originally I thought it was compton issue (since compton uses real transparency). Conky uses it's own (fake) transparency - basically just redraws part of backgroung behing him as it's own - so that is why there is background. No idea what rox is doing, I need to check rox pinboard configs - in case there is a switch to better/different transparency. Or something is missing (upgraded to unsupported version), or overriden during upgrade - in this cases upgrade to newer rox pinboard version will help. But there is also a possibility of obsolence (software is not maintained and Ubuntu is moving away from xorg). So for now I recommend not using rox pinboard and jwm. *here goes tint2 ad*

This release is basically demo of upgrade possibility of XenialDog, also might help to prepare to future releases - new software and stuff) I knew that only a tech release would be boring so I threw in some interface modifications) They however shoud not affect anything, anything strange going on is 16.10 fault:D

Well, at least, thank you for checking it out)
Page 19 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: