XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lassar

#261 Post by Lassar »

Funny thing is Frisbee works very good in tahrpup 64 6.05.

I edited the file /etc/network/interfaces

Replace xx.xxx.xx.xxx with your static ip connections
address is your ip address

#-----------------------------------------------
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address xx.xxx.xx.xxx
netmask xx.xxx.xx.xxx
gateway xx.xxx.xx.xxx
dns-nameservers xx.xxx.xx.xxx xx.xxx.xx.xxx
#------------------------------------------------

edit resolv.conf

replace the nameserver dns ip's with your dns server ip's

--------------------------------------
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
--------------------------------------

in your terminal type

sudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf
sudo ifdown -a
sudo ifup -a

Pelo

Debian package management

#262 Post by Pelo »

dancytron wrote:While quirky and puppy use Ubuntu and/or slackware files, they don't use the Ubuntu/Debian package management system. They use Puppy's own package management, which sorry to say, is not as good.
Debian package management was the reason why i tried DebianDOG. And it Works really well.
Due lack of devs both at Ubuntu and at Puppy, Debian packages are no longer compiled or should be compiled by users. As most users are not Linux experts, as me, DebianDog offers an escape.
XenialDog had my preference compared to DebianDOG and MintPUP... Only because i was successful in installing everything (that i need).
If wireless would have been not active, i would have given up. For me it's a no-go item.

The Flying Cat

#263 Post by The Flying Cat »

Tried to change boot kernels (kernel upgrade) with shiny new scripts for DD.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 740#929740

First roadblock is that "--force-yes" is deprecated and "--allow" is to be used. Used "--allow-change-held-packages". Seems like worked. Second roadblock is that kernel is unupgradable, always "already newest". Looks like kernel upgrade packages is different) Changed "install linux-image-$(uname -r)" to "install linux-image-generic" just to see what will happen. Upgrade happened) Script actually finished but there is some missing files for script and outputted initrd and vmlinuz just dummies (few bytes each).

Posting this in case possibility of such script for XD.

fredx181

#264 Post by fredx181 »

The Flying Cat wrote:Tried to change boot kernels (kernel upgrade) with shiny new scripts for DD.

First roadblock is that "--force-yes" is deprecated and "--allow" is to be used. Used "--allow-change-held-packages". Seems like worked. Second roadblock is that kernel is unupgradable, always "already newest". Looks like kernel upgrade packages is different) Changed "install linux-image-$(uname -r)" to "install linux-image-generic" just to see what will happen. Upgrade happened) Script actually finished but there is some missing files for script and outputted initrd and vmlinuz just dummies (few bytes each).

Posting this in case possibility of such script for XD.
Hi Flying Cat,

Yes, here you can clearly see how different Ubuntu is from Debian.
The upgrade-kernel script needs almost a complete rewrite to make it work in XenialDog.
I'm planning to work on similar script for XD soon.

Fred

The Flying Cat

#265 Post by The Flying Cat »

Thank you))

fredx181

#266 Post by fredx181 »

Here's attached 'upgrade-kernel' script specially for XenialDog.
Following up from here (for DebianDog) :

Probably I'll make some improvements later, e.g. more error checking, but it works OK from what I tested.

EDIT: removed the attachment, made into a package now, install:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install upgrade-kernel
Or install from Synaptic

See here for the improvements made:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 244#930244

Fred
Attachments
xendog-20161025173338_679x322.jpg
Upgraded to latest Ubuntu kernel version
(24.11 KiB) Downloaded 758 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.

roadkill13

Unable to download ISO

#267 Post by roadkill13 »

Download not happening this evening. Multiple attempts fail with "Network Error" after initially downloading a 60 to 130 mb. :?

The Flying Cat

#268 Post by The Flying Cat »

Just tested 'upgrade-kernel' script. Work as intended and on 16.10 also (4.8 kernel yay)). But I have a few notes ^_^'

It actually required to have both 'initrd.lz' and 'initrd.xz' (I had only '.xz' on testing flashdrive) or there will be mistakes and 'initrd.lz' and 'initrd.xz' will be outputted as dummies, only new 'vmlinuz' would be ok.

While it unpins old kernel, script doesn't pins new kernel packages. I manually pinned them in synaptic just in case.

Working directory for kernel repacking is created on a storage where 'initrd' and 'vmlinuz' resides. Which is understandable but in case of using flash drive it is somewhat slow and destructive. I guess option to use '/tmp' would be appreciated)

And I suggest including this script in the iso on the next iso update:)

fredx181

#269 Post by fredx181 »

The Flying Cat wrote:Just tested 'upgrade-kernel' script. Work as intended and on 16.10 also (4.8 kernel yay)). But I have a few notes ^_^'

It actually required to have both 'initrd.lz' and 'initrd.xz' (I had only '.xz' on testing flashdrive) or there will be mistakes and 'initrd.lz' and 'initrd.xz' will be outputted as dummies, only new 'vmlinuz' would be ok.

While it unpins old kernel, script doesn't pins new kernel packages. I manually pinned them in synaptic just in case.

Working directory for kernel repacking is created on a storage where 'initrd' and 'vmlinuz' resides. Which is understandable but in case of using flash drive it is somewhat slow and destructive. I guess option to use '/tmp' would be appreciated)

And I suggest including this script in the iso on the next iso update:)
Thanks, good suggestions, modified the script using /tmp/init-work and fixed the case if only one of the initrd's is located.

The pinning at the end should be ok now, pinned "linux-image-generic"
And added a lot more error checking (and e.g. restore from backups created if something went wrong).
Made it into a package now, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install upgrade-kernel
Run from Menu > System > Upgrade Kernel

Upgrading to the latest kernel will fix the Dirty COW bug, see also rufwoof's topic about it here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108674

Fred

The Flying Cat

#270 Post by The Flying Cat »

Wow! Thank you for heads up about vulnerability!
And thank you for amazing kernel upgrader:D It's almost perfect! Well, I mean somebody someday could request GUI or something like that. But! Now it's great! It is simple, fast and very easy to use, even for a casual like myself)

Pelo

But cannot play CDs ?

#271 Post by Pelo »

Problems for reading CDs with Gnome-Mplayer.
XenialDog for rescue, USB 4GB , wireless still perfect and easy with frisbee.
But cannot play CDs ?
French team trying to repair Gnome-mplayer
Attachments
Synaptic.jpg
Sucessfull with Audacious (dowloaded using synaptic)
(53.2 KiB) Downloaded 2317 times

fredx181

Re: But cannot play CDs ?

#272 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:Problems for reading CDs with Gnome-Mplayer.
XenialDog for rescue, USB 4GB , wireless still perfect and easy with frisbee.
But cannot play CDs ?
Yes, thanks for reporting, Pelo.
It's because of mplayer not compiled with cdda support, fixed now by recompiling (with CD and DVD support), to upgrade gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 :

apt-get update
apt-get install gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 # will upgrade to newer version 1:1.0.6.2
Or upgrade with synaptic (click the reload button top-left first)

Added to Changes and Fixes List

Fred

The Flying Cat

#273 Post by The Flying Cat »

Alright here's the recipe how to destroy/upgrade your XD to YD (16.10). But I recommend doing this on a fresh install. This is official method via GUI and involves pulling some bloatware (120mb), but software it pulls actually useful (for me it was super useful). There is unofficial command line method which is presumably less wasteful, but you'll have to google it on your own.

Go to synaptic and press 'reload' then [bugfix by Fred! lock 'yad'] install 'update-manager' and 'software-properties-gtk' alternatively open terminal and enter following

apt-get update
apt-get install software-properties-gtk update-manager
And now you have a nifty piece of software called 'Software & Updates'. There are also new menu entries 'Software Updater' - it'll automatically updates packages info and fetches updates (e.g. security, recomended etc) with offer to install them. And 'Additional Drivers' - I'm not sure if it even working:D as it only offers me proprietary driver for CPU)) Maybe if you have decent hardware it will offer something decent.

Go to 'Software & Updates', 'Ubuntu Software' tab and 'Download from:' pick closest server - I actually found mirror on a resource to which I have unlimited speed access. That also might be doable via config files.
Next. Go to 'Updates' tab and set 'Notify me of a new updates' to 'For any new version'.
Next. Launch 'Software Updater' install everything (you will be asked about config files to keep them or replace - pick whatever, I picked keep), save, reboot.
After reboot launch 'Software Updater' again you will be prompted to upgrate to 16.10)) And again during upgrade I picked 'keep' but I don't think it matters. After upgrade you will be noted that some obsolete software requires removal, I selected to keep it (basically it's just rox terminal and some bits and bobs and I was lazy to installing something instead of roxterm).
Last step - upgrade kernel)
Addendum: forgot! XenDog repository will be disabled after upgrade, you can enable it by going to 'Software & Updates', tab 'Other Software' check 'https...dropbox...XenialDog...'
And one more step as pointed out by Fred: type in terminal 'dpkg-reconfigure dash' then select 'No'!
Update! One more thingie I invented, type this humongous command when you want to completely dispose of 'Software & Updates', 'Additional Drivers' and 'Software Updater'

apt-get purge aptdaemon-data aspell aspell-en dh-python dictionaries-common distro-info-data emacsen-common gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0 gir1.2-packagekitglib-1.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-vte-2.91 gir1.2-webkit2-4.0 iso-codes libappindicator3-1 libaspell15 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4 libenchant1c2a libgeoclue0 libgirepository-1.0-1 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libgudev-1.0-0 libharfbuzz-icu0 libhyphen0 libindicator3-7 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 libmpdec2 liborc-0.4-0 libpam-systemd libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libpython3-stdlib libpython3.5-minimal libpython3.5-stdlib libsecret-1-0 libsecret-common libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libxslt1.1 lsb-release notification-daemon patch policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome python-apt-common python3 python3-apt python3-aptdaemon python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets python3-chardet python3-dbus python3-debian python3-defer python3-distupgrade python3-gi python3-minimal python3-pkg-resources python3-pycurl python3-six python3-software-properties python3-update-manager python3-xkit python3.5 python3.5-minimal software-properties-common software-properties-gtk ubuntu-drivers-common ubuntu-release-upgrader-core ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk update-manager update-manager-core update-notifier update-notifier-common
this will dispose of all 120 megs of bloatware, BUT if you are using remastering this will regain only 20-30 meg. After that (or before that via 'Software & Updates' - 'Other Software') remove commented line after Xenial Dog repository '# Disabled during upgrade...' or you won't be able to enter 'Repository' settings in 'Synaptic'.

Note that remastering to 16.10 will require minimum 3 GB of RAM (3.5 to be honest). And adding kernel upgrade to that step will bump it, by my calculations, to 3.8 GB which is impossible on a 32 bit OS) So I recommend using HDD for both system upgrade remasters.

Here is link to already upgraded 'XenialDog' (presumably 'YakketyDog'?) [here was link] (347mb) click flag on the bottom to change language.
It is based on a 'Firmware-all' version. It is absolutely same with following changes:
- Firefox removed! Yes, no browser at all by default.
- Bleachbit installed (system cleaner)
- Software & Updates/Software Updater/Additional Drivers installed. Software Updater switched to 'Autoupdates - Never' but I added launcher to tint panel.
- Compton installed - smallest and lightest compositor (Mint also uses compton), shadows disabled to cause less impact (but you can google whatever compton config). It's convenient for vsync and overall user experience. Added compton toggle button (blue gear) to tint panel so you can switch it on/off on the fly. Disabling - go to /root/Startup remove 'compton' script. Recommend disabling it for JWM (it works ok there but has some issues with wallpapers).
- Interface updated While I'm at editing added Numix Red and Blue themes, to correspond them added modified tint red, blue and green themes (go to tint themes and 'default/gaia/crunchbang' will actually be same theme with diferent colors), also added modified nightmare theme to openbox gui 'N1ghtmare' to match red, green and blue colors; new Plataro-Numix (huge icon set, 12mb and 2mb compressed) icon theme https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1137261/ modified to less eyepopping orange folders theme, hence 'Doge', and Adwaita icon theme replaced Ubuntu Human (just weights less), also new cursor DMZ-White and DMZ-Black
- Kernel 4.8.0-26
- Everything updated)

After booting up it uses ~110mb of memory with compton on and ~100 with compton off.

*Oibaf opensource video drivers are now support 16.10! https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... cs-drivers (might help with hd video, games, composite de)
**It looks better than on a screenshot:D
Attachments
xendog-20161101094553.jpg
Yakkety Dog :D
(106.18 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Last edited by The Flying Cat on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 18:02, edited 3 times in total.

fredx181

#274 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Flying Cat!

I will try your yakketydog within the next days.

Fred

fredx181

#275 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Flying cat,

OK, tried yakkety.
First time booted to a blank screen, but tried another time and it got to the desktop but took very long.
Noticed an error message "flip_done timed out" and a google search tells me I'm not the only one with this problem. (boots only half of the times to the desktop and takes very long).
But maybe my hardware is too old for this new kernel.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218581

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1637347

Nice job, btw, how it looks :)

One very important thing for programs using gtkdialog, e.g. frisbee, pburn, debdog-installer, is that the symlink /bin/sh needs to point to bash (not /bin/sh > /bin/dash as probably the upgrade to 16.10 forced)
Otherwise these programs don't work properly at all.
The official way to do is:

dpkg-reconfigure dash
And choose 'No' to become sh > bash

For the rest it worked fine for me once booted to the desktop (except roxterm, which seems kinda broken, size preference can't be saved somehow).

EDIT: oh, and the latest yad version doesn't display some programs well, better to downgrade yad (gtk2 version).

Fred

The Flying Cat

#276 Post by The Flying Cat »

Hello, Fred)

Can confirm - rox doesn't look good at all and spawns many gtk3 errors/warnings in .xsession-errors. I don't think it even in repos anymore)) Looks like it's abandonware now. Otherwise why would Ubuntu wanted to delete it.

Actually I had some small yet annoing problems with 16.04 and most times when I googled them solution was "Fixed in 16.10":D

As for the kernel - will do more testing and compare 4.8 with 4.4 boot. Will apply your suggestions and post updated version.

Thank you for trying it out)

Pelo

XenialDog now can play CDs (songs)

#277 Post by Pelo »

Gnome-mplayer 1.0.7 check for updated version.
I started XenialDog without loading saved sessions. It's quite half an hour to set everything, keyboard and update packages. I feed back soon
In fact version 1.0.9 is the one provided.
XenialDog now can play CDs, for its passengers.
Attachments
CD.jpg
Some details to check, shall see later
(64.49 KiB) Downloaded 2094 times

Pelo

Wireless

#278 Post by Pelo »

Wireless : WICD installed to check if more stable than with Frisbee. Feed back soon. Ip found quickly, but for how long time....
I feel a little bit guilty to take te OS by the other end. From a passenger using it.
But many things are working very well. Confirmed on Puppy Facebook by other people.
Linux forums are like repair stations. So newbies wonder is they could use Linux OS, technicians look so experienced, and active to repair all these problems.
:wink: WICD did not loose wireless connection the whole last session.

fredx181

#279 Post by fredx181 »

*** Experimental ***

Script 'new-kernel' attached, to install new kernel from (downloaded) deb.
It's modified 'upgrade-kernel' script, I used it to experiment with different kernels on yakkety. Same as 'upgrade-kernel' it will generate new initrd and copy vmlinuz (in frugal installed directory), no new "pinning" will be done
Because XenialDog depends on aufs module included in the kernel, there's not much choice. (most newer kernels found on the web are compiled without aufs)
The liquorix kernel from here works for me (also on Yakkety):
https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/past/l/linux-liquorix/
Direct link to PAE version:
https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/past/l ... 9_i386.deb
There's also a liquorix 4.8 version but it gave me problems (extreme slow boot).

Fred
Attachments
new-kernel.tar.gz
Install new kernel from (downloaded) deb
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
xendog-20161104101904.jpg
Liquorix kernel on XenialDog
(7.75 KiB) Downloaded 1926 times

Illutorium

#280 Post by Illutorium »

fredx181 wrote:*** Experimental ***

Script 'new-kernel' attached, to install new kernel from (downloaded) deb.
It's modified 'upgrade-kernel' script, I used it to experiment with different kernels on yakkety. Same as 'upgrade-kernel' it will generate new initrd and copy vmlinuz (in frugal installed directory), no new "pinning" will be done
Because XenialDog depends on aufs module included in the kernel, there's not much choice. (most newer kernels found on the web are compiled without aufs)
The liquorix kernel from here works for me (also on Yakkety):
https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/past/l/linux-liquorix/
Direct link to PAE version:
https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/past/l ... 9_i386.deb
There's also a liquorix 4.8 version but it gave me problems (extreme slow boot).

Fred
AUFS will be depends for RAMdisk,when that's doesn't be mean that's are be "useless" anyway.
Beside I boughted at Lightweight in a woof-CE testing at 4.2.8 for My Own build' (Trusty Tahr Lite)
When in a some kernels (only for Modern as PAE and x64 after of 3.17 - with outline firmware from 2014 package') can't be place at Newest firmware of AMD Radeon as I bought at My build anyway'
Maybe that's OS are be pretty good for 64GB+ only because a hardly who anybody are be have a 64GB RAM anyway... [If be want to migrate without a less broke functions of High than 4GB+: Let's try to PAE from My Own build' - Very lightweight,and with some Modern drivers']