canon ip4200 printer

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
msumner

canon ip4200 printer

#1 Post by msumner »

I am struggling to sort out a driver for my canon pixma ip4200. The recommended methods seem to take me round in circles. I have cups installed but could not find a suitable driver. I went to the canon website where there was a linux driver to download. I have this (ip4200_Linux_260.tar.gz) in the root directory but extracting it produced what appeared to be 4 more files which need to be extracted. If I click on these I get the msg telling me to install the unrpm.pup package. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find it. :( Don't know if I am on the right track. Hope someone can give me some guidance. Thanks.
EDIT. Forgot to say, I'm running puppy 2.13.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

did you try this cups?:
It is a wizard with many many drivers:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/
Mark

msumner

#3 Post by msumner »

Hi Mark, It tells me I already have V0.2r1.pup. I Downloaded v0.3.pup but cannot find the file. Thought it downloaded to /root.? Not there. Do I need to install it or will it have installed automatically? Mike.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

v03 is 20 MB in size, so be shure to have enough space available.
You must click on it in rox (the home-icon on your desktop) to install it.
Mark

msumner

#5 Post by msumner »

I Could not find ip4200, so used ip4300 instead. I seem to have it working now but everything is too large to fit the A4 paper so I need to re-configure. Thanks for your help, I am off to bed now! Will try and sort out settings in morning. Will post results. :D Cheers, Mike.

msumner

#6 Post by msumner »

I still have a problem with getting the driver installed for my Canon pixma IP4200. I tried one that looked close, but it (predictably) didnt work properly.
My printer is not listed when I try to use the available cups wizards but I found a linux driver on canons website which I downloaded and expanded with MU's help. It is sitting in the new directory he suggested I make, but I cannot figure a way to actually use it if it isn't included in the wizard list. There seems to be dozens of folders and files here. How are these incorporated into the wizard so that it will give me an option to make use of them. Will the wizard manage to find the plethora of files that seem to have arisen from expanding the original, which contained "filters" also? I have found the canonip4200.ppd file. According to the canon manual it should be in /usr/share/cups/model/canonip4200.ppd . I have moved it here but do not know how to proceed without a wizard that recognises it. Does cups only need the .ppd file to work properly? I am very confused by fumatic and gutenprint. :? cheers, Mike

msumner

#7 Post by msumner »

After finding another set of different instructions, I copied the .ppd file to /root, where the cups installation validated it. I went on to install it apparently successfully, but the printer does not work! :(
I tried printing a test page and.... nothing. The status of the printer is "idle and accepting jobs".
It is now 2 weeks since I started to try and get my printer working, and although I feel that progress has been made, I still do not have a working printer. I have spent most of today trying to get this working and have read numerous insructions, guides, wikis etc, but I am well and truly Stuck! :? There seems to be so many different ways of doing this. How do I tell if the .ppd file contains everything needed? Expanding the original driver download has produced dozens of files which appear not to be being used. Will CUPS work with just the .ppd file? Cheers, Mike.

gamfa

#8 Post by gamfa »

msumner...
I went through this a few weeks back to get the Canon drivers for my i560 printer working. They were released in Japan only. After pulling what little hair I have left out, I was able to get them working on Vector thanks to some help fron a friend. I was sucessful getting them to run on Puppy also but it took a little more effort. Give me a few hours to look over the driver packages and maybe I can help. They will be worth the effort. The ones for my i560 have all the functionality of their M$ counterparts.

Thought I had better add, everything I did was on a type 2(hard disk) install...
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

gamfa

#9 Post by gamfa »

First you need to install cups if you haven't already done so.
I used the cups-install-v0.2r1.pup to install cups but I didn't install it in normal way. The only packages you need
for these drivers are espgs and cups out of this pup file. I used MC to extract the files from the .pup and modified the
install script to eliminate hpijs and gimp-print.. I left everything else as is.

Next, go to this link

http://mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirror/f ... 9/os/i386/

and download

libglade-0.17-11.i386.rpm
libpng10-1.0.13-8.i386.rpm
libxml-1.8.17-8.i386.rpm

The only files you need from the driver package are-

cnijfilter-common-2.60-1.i366.rpm
cnijfilter-ip4200-2.60-1.rpm

Install those 5 rpm's with rpm -i <name of the rpm>

Now, the problem with puppy is when the cnijfilter-ip4200 package is installed, it is supposed to create 6 symlinks.
Puppy doesn't seem to be capable of this so you will have to do it manually.

cd to /usr/lib and do ls -l libcnb* <ret>

you should see the following 6 libs...

libcnbpcmcm260.so.6.31.1
libcnbpcnclapi260.so.3.2.0
libcnbpcnclbjcmd260.so.3.2.0
libcnbpcnclui260.so.3.2.0
libcnbpess260.so.2.2.2
libcnbpo260.so.1.01.1

if you see all of them, then key in each of the following commands...
(if you know how to copy and paste to a terminal that will save you a lot of typing)

ln -sf libcnbpcmcm260.so.6.31.1 libcnbpcmcm260.so
ln -sf libcnbpcnclapi260.so.3.2.0 libcnbpcnclapi260.so
ln -sf libcnbpcnclbjcmd260.so.3.2.0 libcnbpcnclbjcmd260.so
ln -sf libcnbpcnclui260.so.3.2.0 libcnbpcnclui260.so
ln -sf libcnbpess260.so.2.2.2 libcnbpess260.so
ln -sf libcnbpo260.so.1.01.1 libcnbpo260.so

Now do the same ls command and you should see 12 entries.

Now cd back to root

key in "cngpijmon &" (without the quotes of course) and a return key

You should have a graphic pop up titled "Canon Status Monitor" and it will say "Unknown Printer" in the window.
This is the graphic that will give you error messages and ink levels.

Then key in "printuiip4200" and another graphic should pop up titled "Canon iP4200"
This is the graphic where you can access all the capibilites and settings for the printer.
None will work till you configure cups though. Go ahead and look around in the ui and you will see all the
things that will be available to you.

Next, open your browser and in the location bar key in..
(you probably know the drill from here)

"http://localhost:631" <ret>

When you get to "Device" you should see something like this...
"USB printer #1 with status feedback for Canon IJ"
That should be the one you want.

When you get to "Driver", select Canon and if you did a full install of the cups.pup file
then scroll through the Canon drivers till you find "Canon iP4200 Ver. 2.60(en)". That's the one you want..
If you install the cups package the way I did that's probably the only driver you will see.

After that go into "Configure Printer". If you feel you need to change anything, do so and exit.
Then set the iP4200 as the "Default Printer"

Now at this point I always like to reboot. After reboot run "top" to be sure cups is running.
Go into the cups config with your browser and submit a "Test Page" and see if everything works.

If so I'll be back and explain some other stuff about the drivers.

Since our high temps are only going to be in the low teens for the next few days I'll be staying close to the fire I will be checking back regularlly.
Gamfa
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

duh

#10 Post by duh »

canon-bjc-s800 work A4 full page in draft c b/w
canon-bjc-s4500 works like A3 on A4
bjc-30-xxxxxx work only A6

duh