copied files within puppy ISO to a FAT32 partition now what?

Booting, installing, newbie
sgtmattbaker

copied files within puppy ISO to a FAT32 partition now what?

#1 Post by sgtmattbaker »

So I can't run the CD on my computer I have tried changing a file in the ISO to PMEDIA=none instead of PMEDIA=idecd. I was told that I could copy the files within the puppy ISO to a FAT32 partition and then somehow get Puppy running. I double-clicked on the puppy ISO in Ubuntu and it showed me the following files in a window:

BOOT.CAT;1 BOOT.MSG;1 INITRD.GZ;1 ISOLINUX.BIN;1 ISOLINUX.CFC;1 PUP_201.SFS;1 VMLINUZ.;1

I just simply dragged these files to the FAT32 partition. The FAT32 partition is 12GB and is only my external harddrive. My external harddrive is partitioned into 4 partitions. The first is 15GB that Ubuntu is on, the 2nd is a 270MB swap partition, the 3rd is the FAT32 and the 4th one that is about 250GB is NTFS.

Alright so do I need to hookup my Windows drive to do anything? If not, what do I do now??

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

which boot manager are you using to boot ubuntu? i find grub the easiest to use/configure, in that, once it's installed to mbr, i ust need to alter the menu.lst file to point to any new distro.

also you really only need 3 files to get puppy to boot, viz: vmlinuz, initrd.gz & pup_201.sfs .
(actually just reading a post, by whodo, reminded me that you might need zdrv_2xx.sfs as well for additional driver modules).

for example, with my having a pup located on hda4, this entry in menu.lst boots it:
root (hd0,3)

kernel (hd0,3)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd (hd0,3)/boot/initrd.gz
of course, you have to change the parameters to reflect your actual configuration.

also you mention being unable to boot the cdrom. have you investigated the smart boot manager floppy? i've used this to get recalcitrant cdrom's to boot.

sgtmattbaker

i want to get puppy installed on a USB flash drive

#3 Post by sgtmattbaker »

so all I need is to get the CD running. anything else I should know about installing puppy using the universal installer to install to the USB (my BIOS supports USB booting)

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

my bios doesn't boot usbkeys, but you might do a bit of a forum search, or google, as some bios see usbkeys as superfloppy, some as hdisk, others zipdrive, just to complicate things.

you also might do a forum search for pakt's wakepuppy which i believe is very good at sniffing out puppy on different media.