Grub4dos Horribly Out Dated!

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Pelo

#21 Post by Pelo »

Robert123, i fully agree. Outdated but effficient. Screenshot : Grub4DOS browse all Puppies from SDA1 to my Pendrive, so i can boot each One (Old ACER XP).
Attachments
Aspire1640.jpg
Multiboot
(51.78 KiB) Downloaded 530 times

Mike Walsh

#22 Post by Mike Walsh »

@s243a:-

You say you're attempting to boot USB 3.0 drives on an older machine, yes?

How are you attempting this, exactly? Directly plugged into a USB 2.0 port.....or are you using a USB 3.0 adapter card?

I ask, because I myself use a USB 3.0 adapter card in my sole PCI-e x 16 slot. It works great for ultra-fast file transfer times to and from a 1TB external USB 3.0 hard drive. I also have a number of SanDisk Ultra 'Fit' USB 3.0 'nano' flash drives; assorted 32 & 64 GB.

However, I've found that I simply cannot boot from a Pup installed to either the external HDD or the USB 3.0 flash drives. There seems to be something in the drive's firmware that actively prevents booting from anything other than a natively built-in USB 3.0 port.

If, however, I unplug the HDD from its USB 3.0 port, and re-plug it into a spare USB 2.0 port, it will happily boot any Puppy installed on there.....

I'm only posting this to make you aware that this may be a hardware-related problem, rather than anything to do with the bootloader itself. As for myself, on an all-Puppy system (8 Pups currently), Grub4DOS does all I ask of it. Works for me!

I used Grub2 when I first started out in Linux 2 1/2 years ago, when I was running the 'buntus.....where it is, of course, the standard built-in bootloader. But I found it horrendously complicated.....and also found it needed regular maintenance, every time Ubuntu downloaded and installed yet another kernel update.....

(*My 2000-th post! Wow; yet another milestone.....)

Mike. :wink:

Pelo

USB 3.0 in France prevents Puppy to run.

#23 Post by Pelo »

Walsh, merci, you will be very useful to our friend Augras. I bet his problem is the same as yours. So the solution should fit to Augras need, i suppose.
Augras usb3 topic

Burn_IT

#24 Post by Burn_IT »

Until relatively recently, USB 3 drives could not be made bootable.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Pelo

I shall not buy USB 3.0 if i cannot boot them.

#25 Post by Pelo »

burn it, ??? !!! I shall not buy USB 3.0 if i cannot boot them.
"(*My 2000-th post! Wow; yet another milestone.....) " bravo Mike. That is what i like for a forum (which is where people meet together to exchange ideas about Puppy ).
Attachments
lexar64.jpeg
Augras USB Lexar
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#26 Post by Burn_IT »

They are still a lot faster in a USB 2.0 slot, and it was only booting from them that was the problem in the USB 3 slot.

bigpup

#27 Post by bigpup »

Burn_IT wrote:They are still a lot faster in a USB 2.0 slot, and it was only booting from them that was the problem in the USB 3 slot.
I have never had a problem booting with a USB3 flash drive.
Are you sure your computer can boot from all USB ports :idea:
Format of USB :idea:
Bootloader on it :idea:
etc.....

I have a very new computer, that has 2 USB ports, that will only supply power. No data.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#28 Post by Burn_IT »

I don't have a problem, myself. I was just explaining what the problem was when USB 3 first came out.

drunkjedi

#29 Post by drunkjedi »

I do not have problem with USB3 drive.

But have problem with USB3 port.

My usb2 and 3 drives boot fine when plugged into usb2 ports.

But when I plugged them in usb3 port they don't get detected for booting.

I thought as my usb3 are on add on card and not built-in motherboard may be the problem.

But I don't know for sure.

Burn_IT

#30 Post by Burn_IT »

I thought as my usb3 are on add on card and not built-in motherboard may be the problem.
Indeed the add on card would need to be specifically bootable. Some are some aren't. (As well as the BIOS supporting USB 3 booting)

Pelo

about exfat for pendrives usb 3.0

#31 Post by Pelo »

i will feed back information in progress at french forum about exfat for pendrives usb 3.0 and 64 bits. Augras is doing test bench at home
He is at the step of mounting it.
exfat (french)
"Ici j'ai compilé sous slaxen/slacko-6.3.2 les sources de exfat-utils-1.2.5 et de fuse-exfat-1.2.5 " told us Médor. You need these libraries in your puppies for mount unmount exfat partitions
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 26 Jan 2017, 09:24, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#32 Post by bigpup »

Booting from an expansion card (whether it be a PCIE SATA card, a PCI network card, or a PCIE USB card) works differently than booting from onboard devices. The card itself must support booting, via its own boot ROM. On some expansion cards, the boot ROM chip is optional and may not be present; other cards are incapable of having a boot ROM.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Pelo

USB ext4

#33 Post by Pelo »