Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 for Raspberry Pi2 and 3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Minnesota

Re: Sound Hdmi ALSA

#421 Post by Minnesota »

BarryK wrote:
Aargh! That's one thing I didn't check. Will take a look at it. I'm going to be p**sed off if sound is broken on my new kernel!
Reloaded the ssd with .2,
Performed set up, speaker barked on HDMI

Ran the two video's.

REBOOTED

No longer any sound.
Alsa wizard the same results. Nothing.

Clicked Speaker to mute and un-mute, message in picture.

Looks like problem not in update, but in base.

Gerrrr :(
Attachments
8.2 msg before updte to .3.png
(69.88 KiB) Downloaded 704 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#422 Post by BarryK »

Minnesota wrote:
BarryK wrote:
Aargh! That's one thing I didn't check. Will take a look at it. I'm going to be p**sed off if sound is broken on my new kernel!
Reloaded the ssd with .2,
Performed set up, speaker barked on HDMI

Ran the two video's.

REBOOTED

No longer any sound.
Alsa wizard the same results. Nothing.

Clicked Speaker to mute and un-mute, message in picture.

Looks like problem not in update, but in base.

Gerrrr :(
I have fixed it.

/etc/init.d/11alsa_raspi gets called at every bootup by /etc/rc.d/rc.services (which gets called by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit).

11alsa_raspi runs this:

amixer cset numid=3 1

...where the last parameter is 0=auto, 1=analog, 2=hdmi

I don't know why, but 11alsa-raspi is running too soon. I changed it's name to "z_alsa_raspi", which will cause it to run last.

Rebooted, viola, hdmi works. Testing on the Pi3.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#423 Post by BarryK »

daturach wrote:Finally managed to boot from a flash drive on Raspi 2.
You have to let the SD card inserted all the time. It just contains the latest bootcode.bin and eventually a "timeout" file.

I am on 8.1.3 and I need to install a package called "build-essential". However, I get a message telling me to first install devx-8.1.3-xerus.pet which I can't find in http://distro.ibiblio.org/

Can you help?
Thanks
Type "devx" in the Puppy Package Manager search box.

Note, I haven't uploaded devx-8.1.3-xerus.pet, you will need to install devx-8.1.2.pet and then the 8.1.2-to-8.1.3 devx Service Pack.

That has raised a good point, I should upload the latest devx, not just require it to be done as above. To avoid confusion.

Minnesota

#424 Post by Minnesota »

BarryK wrote:
I have fixed it.
/etc/init.d/11alsa_raspi gets called at every bootup by /etc/rc.d/rc.services (which gets called by /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit).
11alsa_raspi runs this:
amixer cset numid=3 1
...where the last parameter is 0=auto, 1=analog, 2=hdmi
I don't know why, but 11alsa-raspi is running too soon. I changed it's name to "z_alsa_raspi", which will cause it to run last.
Rebooted, viola, hdmi works. Testing on the Pi3.
THANK YOUR SIR.

Great work and fun to play with :)
Don't forget to take some vacation and have fun!

Sage

#425 Post by Sage »

ALERT
Users of RPi s who experience 'issues' might read the following references to power provision:
http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00464
http://nordicgroup.us/rpi/power/
of which the latter provides a complete exposition of what might occur and how to avoid it/them. Frankly, I would strongly recommend solution 3 (short answers), although this does require precision soldering, to which some correspondents in this Forum strangely seem averse. To them, I suggest they revisit their former skills or to neophytes, they acquire the skill - modern electronics are definitely not going to get bigger!
If you choose solution 10 (long answers) it is better to salvage an old AT PSU which doesn't require the green pin14 (ATX) to be held ON (actually ground ie off). Many of those old AT supplies contain noisy fans, but if one searches deep in the spares box, a few tiny ones with modest OP by old standards/massive by RPi standards may be found without fans. Alternatively, they can be modified internally to throttle their fans. Opening up PSU s is for real experts, (not imagined ones!) - don't be a hero, d.c. kills, it stops your heart and you cannot remove your grasp because your muscles get locked by the one-way flow of current. As always, knowledge is king!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#426 Post by BarryK »

Cheap 1TB USB3 hard drives work on Pi2 and Pi3, powered-hub not required.

Thanks to pakt who informed me about this. the 'config.txt' option "max_usb_current=1" does the trick, though pakt commented that this is the default anyway on the Pi3.

You don't need one of those PiDrives, I am using ordinary 1TB drives:

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00465

Warning, you might need to beef up your power supply. Which I have done, gone overboard perhaps, with a 5V at 6A supply -- they are quite cheap though.

Info on the PiDrive:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/meet-314gb-pidrive/

...as pakt informed me, it is actually a 350GB drive, the "314" is from the value of pi ...very funny :roll:

daturach

#427 Post by daturach »

@BarryK
Thanks for your quick answer.

I have a general question about these puppies based on DEB packages. I should be able to install any apps through the Package Manager, right?
I tried to install apt-get. Well, did not manage to make it work. Here is the message:

If that's something easy to fix, let me know! Thanks
Attachments
capture21237.png
Error message apt-get
(13.05 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

TeX Dog

#428 Post by TeX Dog »

@ Sage & @BK, good reads. Turns out my solution is not recommended, I power BOTH USB-A with a Y cable for my usb harddrive and mini at same time from same power supply ( wall multi tablet charger or dual USB charger with a built in battery ) Haven't had issues. One of the links for polyfuse is a 404 page. But according to links I do not need a mini-usb power if backfeeding via USB-A so I will post this and remove that extra normal connection and see what happens....

TeX Dog

#429 Post by TeX Dog »

Yep Still alive and posting without it, let me see if reboot works.. back in a few minutes

TeX Dog

#430 Post by TeX Dog »

unable to boot without mini-USB plugged in, but once up ok to remove. Weird. Oh well still need both plugged in once at the beginning.

TeX Dog

#431 Post by TeX Dog »

Was able to connect my combo blutooth with raspPi3 using a different tiny media distro, so hopefully figure out how it does it. That will remove two wired usb devices. :lol:

don570

#432 Post by don570 »

I upgraded to 8.1.3.1

Observations:

Sound worked properly.

rtl 8192cu driver worked ---> Samba easy to set up with YASSM

My gimp paint editor package worked

My omx player package didn't work properly since Barry's omxplayer will launch instead. I will try to change the name of app so they won't be confused.

rameshiyer

Raspberry Pi3

#433 Post by rameshiyer »

1. I have installed Quirky Xerus 8.1.2 in 16 GB. After installation, it shows two drive i.e MN0P1 & MNop2. mn0p1 shows 75Mb (vfat) and MN0p2 (Ext4) shows 6.8 GB. What happens to balance disk space. What went wrong?. After format it shows 16GB. Image written through windisk manager.

2. Booting on HDMI TV Monitor (21 inch), goes to VGA display. However, I have choosen HDMI option. After reboot, display is corrected.While booting Ist time, it goes VGA Mode. All buttons/settings are not visible within windows. Only with pressing Alt button, I have managed to access the Ok button. ( After googling, I got the solution for moving the contents in the windows).

3. Not detecting 3/4 G dongle.

watchdog

Re: Raspberry Pi3

#434 Post by watchdog »

rameshiyer wrote:1. I have installed Quirky Xerus 8.1.2 in 16 GB. After installation, it shows two drive i.e MN0P1 & MNop2. mn0p1 shows 75Mb (vfat) and MN0p2 (Ext4) shows 6.8 GB. What happens to balance disk space. What went wrong?. After format it shows 16GB. Image written through windisk manager.
I think you should run a fix-usb.sh script in order to free the not-used space of the sd card micro>8 Gb. Not tried: does the fix-usb.sh script in the slacko release iso work?

Sage

#435 Post by Sage »

New Raspian announced this morning on DW. Nothing exciting.

TeX Dog

#436 Post by TeX Dog »

Encouraged by success with other tiny OS and bluetooth combo keyboard, I stepped neck deeps in code I have no clue, but learned alot so it suprised me on a google search to find this http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00322 I was doing the same mucking about in fatdog and they got same version to work just FYI I do not know where they store the patched source.
Only other difference was the file [etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf] obex related stuff

Code: Select all

<!-- This configuration file specifies the required security policies
     for Bluetooth core daemon to work. -->

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>

<!-- ../system.conf have denied everything, so we just punch some holes -->

<policy user="root">
    <allow own="org.bluez"/>
    <allow send_destination="org.bluez"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.Agent1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.MediaEndpoint1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.MediaPlayer1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.ThermometerWatcher1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.AlertAgent1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.Profile1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.HeartRateWatcher1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.CyclingSpeedWatcher1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.GattCharacteristic1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.GattDescriptor1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties"/>

<allow own="org.bluez.obex"/>
    <allow send_destination="org.bluez.obex"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Agent1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Client1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Session1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Transfer1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.ObjectPush1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.FileTransfer1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.PhonebookAccess1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Synchronization1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.MessageAccess1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Message1"/>
  </policy>

<policy at_console="true">
  </policy>

<!-- allow users of lp group (printing subsystem) to 
       communicate with bluetoothd -->
  <policy group="lp">
  </policy>

<policy context="default">
    <deny send_destination="org.bluez"/>
    <deny send_destination="org.bluez.obex"/>
  </policy>

</busconfig>

Sage

#437 Post by Sage »

We all do it, but we shouldn't. Always RTFM !
"RPi 3 Model B Uncased Version:
This product should be operated in a well ventilated environment and should not be covered."
Of course, there'll always be some joker ready to sell you one of those cute little boxes to put it in. And, doubtless, sell you another board when yours burns out...

Update on cooling. It transpires that mini 5V 40x40 fans are often fitted to laptops. Won't need to look too far for a dead laptop! Otherwise, eBay has them for 99p from HK incl. shipping. Screw one to the edge of the plinth onto which you screw your RPi. No need to throttle a 12V unit. For extra sound suppression, run the 5V fan off pin1 (3.3V) of GPIO.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#438 Post by BarryK »

daturach wrote:@BarryK
Thanks for your quick answer.

I have a general question about these puppies based on DEB packages. I should be able to install any apps through the Package Manager, right?
I tried to install apt-get. Well, did not manage to make it work. Here is the message:

If that's something easy to fix, let me know! Thanks
A couple of thoughts about this...

If you chose to update the package database in the Puppy Package Manager, that might be the cause. There might be an update of that lib that is causing trouble.

Quirky has it's own package manager, Puppy Package Manager. The Debian package management database and infrastructure is not there, apt-get probably won't work properly.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Raspberry Pi3

#439 Post by BarryK »

rameshiyer wrote:1. I have installed Quirky Xerus 8.1.2 in 16 GB. After installation, it shows two drive i.e MN0P1 & MNop2. mn0p1 shows 75Mb (vfat) and MN0p2 (Ext4) shows 6.8 GB. What happens to balance disk space. What went wrong?. After format it shows 16GB. Image written through windisk manager.
The first time you bootup, QuickSetup runs. The window has a checkbox with letters highlighted by a red background for maximum prominence, informing to tick this checkbox for the second partition to be expanded to fill the drive.

So nothing is wrong. You wrote an 8GB image to a 16GB drive, leaving about 8GB empty space. QuickSetup offers to fix this at first bootup.

TeX Dog

#440 Post by TeX Dog »

@rameshiyer After we redo the factory default firmware aware fat to a different unsupported by firmware ext4 we lose much of the corruption support and will be faced with a increase in used blocks at the end of range being re-mapped for dead or near dead overused blocks at the beginning. Keeping unsupported ext4 and other non-vat at first half sized of listed size will keep the corruption level and base speed solid for the normal lifespan of a fully supported full sized in hardware orginal vfat.
So your setup as is is perfect, however would like to only fill first half my 32G which doesn't seem an option. Also would like a roomier first part vfat. Also if we resize the default fat to smaller than full size other than replacing it with a image overlay of fat, we keep the firmware support :wink: and the speed boost. Have two identical sdcard from same lot, one is unchanged ( running fastdogarm, and a media version kodi that do not need unsupported image overlayed ) and still maxes out at 100MB/s where best I can get from this 22MB/s which is still fast to me :)