(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 27 Sep 2020, 03:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 for Raspberry Pi2 and 3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 30 of 46 [680 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 03:42    Post subject:  

Encouraged by success with other tiny OS and bluetooth combo keyboard, I stepped neck deeps in code I have no clue, but learned alot so it suprised me on a google search to find this http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00322 I was doing the same mucking about in fatdog and they got same version to work just FYI I do not know where they store the patched source.
Only other difference was the file [etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf] obex related stuff
Code:
<!-- This configuration file specifies the required security policies
     for Bluetooth core daemon to work. -->

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>

<!-- ../system.conf have denied everything, so we just punch some holes -->

<policy user="root">
    <allow own="org.bluez"/>
    <allow send_destination="org.bluez"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.Agent1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.MediaEndpoint1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.MediaPlayer1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.ThermometerWatcher1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.AlertAgent1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.Profile1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.HeartRateWatcher1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.CyclingSpeedWatcher1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.GattCharacteristic1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.GattDescriptor1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.ObjectManager"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties"/>

<allow own="org.bluez.obex"/>
    <allow send_destination="org.bluez.obex"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Agent1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Client1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Session1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Transfer1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.ObjectPush1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.FileTransfer1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.PhonebookAccess1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Synchronization1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.MessageAccess1"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.bluez.obex.Message1"/>
  </policy>

<policy at_console="true">
  </policy>

<!-- allow users of lp group (printing subsystem) to
       communicate with bluetoothd -->
  <policy group="lp">
  </policy>

<policy context="default">
    <deny send_destination="org.bluez"/>
    <deny send_destination="org.bluez.obex"/>
  </policy>

</busconfig>
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 06:16    Post subject:  

We all do it, but we shouldn't. Always RTFM !
"RPi 3 Model B Uncased Version:
This product should be operated in a well ventilated environment and should not be covered."
Of course, there'll always be some joker ready to sell you one of those cute little boxes to put it in. And, doubtless, sell you another board when yours burns out...

Update on cooling. It transpires that mini 5V 40x40 fans are often fitted to laptops. Won't need to look too far for a dead laptop! Otherwise, eBay has them for 99p from HK incl. shipping. Screw one to the edge of the plinth onto which you screw your RPi. No need to throttle a 12V unit. For extra sound suppression, run the 5V fan off pin1 (3.3V) of GPIO.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 08:38    Post subject:  

daturach wrote:
@BarryK
Thanks for your quick answer.

I have a general question about these puppies based on DEB packages. I should be able to install any apps through the Package Manager, right?
I tried to install apt-get. Well, did not manage to make it work. Here is the message:

If that's something easy to fix, let me know! Thanks

A couple of thoughts about this...

If you chose to update the package database in the Puppy Package Manager, that might be the cause. There might be an update of that lib that is causing trouble.

Quirky has it's own package manager, Puppy Package Manager. The Debian package management database and infrastructure is not there, apt-get probably won't work properly.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 08:45    Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi3
Subject description: Quirky Xerus 8.1.3 - Minor Issues

rameshiyer wrote:
1. I have installed Quirky Xerus 8.1.2 in 16 GB. After installation, it shows two drive i.e MN0P1 & MNop2. mn0p1 shows 75Mb (vfat) and MN0p2 (Ext4) shows 6.8 GB. What happens to balance disk space. What went wrong?. After format it shows 16GB. Image written through windisk manager.

The first time you bootup, QuickSetup runs. The window has a checkbox with letters highlighted by a red background for maximum prominence, informing to tick this checkbox for the second partition to be expanded to fill the drive.

So nothing is wrong. You wrote an 8GB image to a 16GB drive, leaving about 8GB empty space. QuickSetup offers to fix this at first bootup.

TeX Dog

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 11:24    Post subject:  

@rameshiyer After we redo the factory default firmware aware fat to a different unsupported by firmware ext4 we lose much of the corruption support and will be faced with a increase in used blocks at the end of range being re-mapped for dead or near dead overused blocks at the beginning. Keeping unsupported ext4 and other non-vat at first half sized of listed size will keep the corruption level and base speed solid for the normal lifespan of a fully supported full sized in hardware orginal vfat.
So your setup as is is perfect, however would like to only fill first half my 32G which doesn't seem an option. Also would like a roomier first part vfat. Also if we resize the default fat to smaller than full size other than replacing it with a image overlay of fat, we keep the firmware support Wink and the speed boost. Have two identical sdcard from same lot, one is unchanged ( running fastdogarm, and a media version kodi that do not need unsupported image overlayed ) and still maxes out at 100MB/s where best I can get from this 22MB/s which is still fast to me Smile
daturach

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 12:24    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
daturach wrote:
@BarryK
Thanks for your quick answer.

I have a general question about these puppies based on DEB packages. I should be able to install any apps through the Package Manager, right?
I tried to install apt-get. Well, did not manage to make it work. Here is the message:

If that's something easy to fix, let me know! Thanks

A couple of thoughts about this...

If you chose to update the package database in the Puppy Package Manager, that might be the cause. There might be an update of that lib that is causing trouble.

Quirky has it's own package manager, Puppy Package Manager. The Debian package management database and infrastructure is not there, apt-get probably won't work properly.

You are right and I see the problem now...I managed to get rid of this error by installing a newer library (libapt-pkg5.0_1.2.15_armhf.deb) BUT I need now to create a new user (_apt). This is not going to lead me anywhere because adduser command doesn't exist (single user distro! ) Sad
End of game!
don570

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 19:20    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
So nothing is wrong. You wrote an 8GB image to a 16GB drive, leaving about 8GB empty space. QuickSetup offers to fix this at first bootup.

In the start menu there is a menu item to run the first run setup again,
even if you have already setup your system, so you can expand the useable space to be greater than 8 GB.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 21:41    Post subject:  

Need to get me a Pi for the holidays. I'm really missing out, here! Embarassed
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec 2016, 22:28    Post subject:  

lol, right its really coming together with BKs vision, was reviewing stuff in the new kernel and its got so much neat stuff support compiled in and just waiting for use, the software defined radio stuff is there, joysticks, media like cdroms support there. I now can run puppy and download images from overhead satellites, track airplanes nearby etc. all those cool project that once needed a bloated RaspianOS are in sight.
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec 2016, 07:56    Post subject:  

Have powered up RPi3 with Quirky. It works, but:
Using an experimental layout of HW it was necessary to switch off - hard reset - a couple of times. This upset the booting procedure much more than expected, including a complete reset. During this stage, error messages overwrote the screen in several places making the underlying text unreadable. Something got written to the SD card, too which eventually rectified itself (I think). In my opinion, which may not be shared, I would like that an hard reset never writes to the SD card; maybe not possible?
After booting, there were too many options to run in the Quick Setup. In particular, selection of the video output default caused problems and freezing before it could be changed. Suggest the default is recast to always be AUTO.
There were some minor issues running the browser at first (not 'first run' related) but these also seem to have been cleared.
It was good to find Hardinfo retained because this is vital for HW experimenting. Thank you.
I fixed a small HS temporarily on the cpu, but it showed 50C in free air (no fan - yet). This confirms my recommendations above, viz. this system needs an heatsink AND fan combo, the former being affixed with a silver-loaded adhesive paint.
Otherwise, an interesting project all round.
For the record, I used a PSU like the one illustrated by BK on his blog and attached it directly to pins 4 & 6. This is an high quality switched-mode item by Cisco so I'm trusting that bypassing the on-board resettable fuse probably isn't going to be an issue.
There was some 'hash' on some areas of screen, hdmi, which did not go away. My hdmi-vga converter, sold for use on RPi B+ didn't work - it does on B+ and Zero.

Now, I'm away to get my Christmas lights coupled to a motion detector and the door video-phone to activate using the GPIO pins.

Sad!

PS: Please can we have a completely updated image. Some of us aren't too hot fixing SW!
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:33    Post subject:  

@sage I had similar but not as bad experience, check your fstab file in /etc for a malformed mount of root, BK says the upgrade does not touch fstab ( which I did check, he is right OF COURSE, but its been malformed since 8.1.1 ) the new kernel has a issue with that where last versions somehow worked, ( I can't see how /dev//sdb2 never existed for me ) with new kernel all versions back to 8.1.1 freeze unless changed.
Second, it is possible to run without sdcard, with either two methods I posted for you a few pages back, Dons ideas and Patks. My method is easiest, and moves root to a usb spinning harddrive so boot sdcard is removable.
On the heatsink front, The fanless metal case has worked well enough for me and I have run some CPU swamping software and played high bitrate full screen max res videos at same time, even case upside down (wifi issue work-around) it never got hotter than mid 50C
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:46    Post subject:  

Many thanks, TXD. Your first two paras are outside my ambit - I do HW!
As for mid-50C, in my opinion it's too hot bearing in mind the physical size both of package and features inside package. The instructions are clear. Putting it in a case probably violates your warranty! No case to answer, so to speak!
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:10    Post subject:  

@Sage yeah right no one going to believe you do not know your way around a keyboard, text editor and that soft-mushy stuff called software, look at BK blog he is off on a multi-day massive compiling bender so quit pretending you need BK to roll a 8.1.3 clean image. Rolling Eyes
We ain't buying ( OH I AM JUST A HARDWARE GUY, DERP DERP!) Wink
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec 2016, 12:22    Post subject:  

Yup, and I don't believe folks 'round here don't know which end of the soldering iron to hold and things like fitting heatsinks...
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec 2016, 13:24    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Yup, and I don't believe folks 'round here don't know which end of the soldering iron to hold and things like fitting heatsinks...

Ah, yeah your right.. I have more soldering irons than radios Wink But I am horrible about burning and cutting my fingers on sharp metal so not much desire. Heck last night I cut my finger on a plastic fake pineneedle.
Page 30 of 46 [680 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: