How to use Brother MFC-L2680W in Tahr? SOLVED

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
perdido

#21 Post by perdido »

J_D_ wrote:Booted from the flah drive and the install went pretty easy. No error messages. Went to CUPS and did the set up.
CUPS sees the printer when It scans for printers but when I tell it to print a test page it is unable to communicate with the printer.
I did print from Windows to be sure that still worked.
The printer is now working. :)

To document what you have done then with Brother MFC-L2680W printer to get it to work.

1. Fresh install of puppy tahr 6.05 booting from USB
2. Connected printer to wireless
3. Connected computer to wireless.
4. Followed Brother install instructions from rscn51
5. Sucessfully installed the debbi 1.2pet from the link listed in step 4 above, the debbi pet is available from the bottom of the first post in the link listed above, it is not already in puppy.
5. Installed mfcl2680wcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb with debbi
6. Installed mfcl2680wlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb with debbi ,
J_D_ wrote:You my be able to ignore the following error message after entering the downloaded packages in Terminal.

Code: Select all

n: failed to create symbolic link ‘/usr/share/cups/model/brother-MFCL2680-cups-en.ppd’: File exists
Post- install script completed!
Done	
7.CUPS is now seeing the wireless printer
J_D_ wrote:
When trying to print test page received the following error

Code: Select all

Unable to locate	
This was due to puppy not knowing the IP of the wireless printer.
CUPS had entered, BRW441CA84A019E as the http address of the printer.
I went to my Belkin router control page searching. On the LAN-DHCP client list I found the IP address AND the printer was listed correctly. This finally got it going.
I entered the correct IP address in CUPS under manage printers, rebooted the printer and the Dell laptop and the printed the CUPS test page.

To sum it up for someone else, if you follow the instructions from rscn51 and receive the "Unable to find" error when trying to print,
and you have the Brother printer installed as a wireless printer (Something like Connection:lpd://BRW70188BEF51A3/BINARY_P1 )
then you need to supply the printer IP to CUPS so puppy can find the printer.

J_D_

#22 Post by J_D_ »

Finally printing. What perdido failed to post was how many PMs he sent helping me with this for the last 5 days.
Big THANKS to him.

J_D_

#23 Post by J_D_ »

Just an update. Did no printing the last 3 or 4 days, today it would not print even though Windows would. After a few tries, I rebooted the router and it printed fine. I totally do not understand this as the same router was getting internet, no problem.

perdido

#24 Post by perdido »

Did you get "Unable to Locate" as the error or different?

The router may have changed the IP of the printer.

Check out the last part of earl's post where he ran into that and the following discussion with rscn51.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 3&start=76

J_D_

#25 Post by J_D_ »

CUPS kept trying to connect with the printer. I tried going to management and going through the settings. Ip was not changed. I rebooted the laptop and the printer to no avail. I finally just rebooted the router. Not even a problem to me. Easy fix. Odd that it printed fine for a few days and then stopped. Anyway, if someone else has this problem they may just try the router reboot, first.

J_D_

#26 Post by J_D_ »

New event. Just installed 64 bit tahrpup on my new Acer. When I did the printer install in terminal it could not find the files I downloaded. On the Brother site I learned that 64 bit linux requires another file. I downloaded this, ia32-libs_0.4.tar.gz and completed the install in terminal. Cups did not see the printer but I manually typed in the install there and all is well. Anyway just adding this post so maybe it will help someone else with a 64 bit pup.