Puppy Newsletter

Promote Puppy !
kerl

Puppy Newsletter

#1 Post by kerl »

Hi all,

This is an active forum with many news, tutorials, ideas, projects (ISOs,PETs, SFSs) scattered around many threads. Many of these projects and their context are not present on repositories.

I thought that it would be great to have a few newsletters per year to give a picture of what's going on this community.
Maybe something like that already exists? like a magazine in the form of newsletter with everything interesting that may arise in this forums: articles, tutorials, hyperlinks, tags for every article, etc

EDIT :

Join today to get your irresistible FREE newsletter. Subscribe to Puppy Linux Newsletters
Last edited by kerl on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 22:57, edited 2 times in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

nice idea

:)

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Excellent idea, kerl.

Something like the monthly e-magazine PCLinuxOS has.

Ours wouldn't have to be monthly, but a project like that needs
manpower. If you have the time, kerl, go for it! :) Or set up a small team?

It would also be great for exposure, as a Puppy showcase.

We haven't had a major project like this since bigpup put together, way
back when, a rationalized list of threads on this forum, for which we are still
grateful.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

anewuser

#4 Post by anewuser »

Very insteresting.

How or from where would one start? I guess the Wiki, and the HowTo's, and then applying the source of knowledge in contextual cases (doacracy) Also the forum and particular threads of interest to the community with executive summaries in case people don't visit the board often or at all.

That would need editors, writers, proofreaders, and others correctors (very technical checkers willing to work with n00bs and not so technical people).

Algo guidelines, principles, and objectives. A timeline. Categories which we'll publish regularly, like compiling, contributing, succint changelogs, tests, I'm baffled (for bugs or things that did not work and were posted on the board and need particular diffusion/attention).

Most importantly willingness to contribute anyway anyone can to a regular publication.

It's within my possibilities to contribuite to this project if 3 to 6 publications are made per year.

How can I help?

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

I might try to throw a dead cat into the party.

This idea is a stillbirth.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

LazY Puppy wrote:I might try to throw a dead cat into the party.

This idea is a stillbirth.
Meow! :twisted:

It's a bit early to tell, don't you think?
If it works for the PCLinuxOS, why not for us?

~~~~~~~~

Source of the picture:
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-stati ... 706-25.jpg
Attachments
enhanced-16354-1396642706-25.jpg
How dare you? :-) I'm far from dead!!!
(48.75 KiB) Downloaded 1334 times
Last edited by musher0 on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

dancytron

#7 Post by dancytron »

I'm not sure how it supposed to serve a different purpose than the Blog on puppylinux.com.
http://blog.puppylinux.com/

Maybe getting more material for the blog would be a better or a regular monthly "what happened this month" blog entry would be a more efficient use of time.

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

@anewuser

You said:
> "Where do we start?" (...)

While using the wikka and other existing material is a good idea, I was
thinking of perhaps presenting this newsletter in two sections:
-- the 1st with current news since last edition
-- the 2nd on a particular theme, like optional file managers in Puppy, or
bash, or wi-fi connections, or sfs building, or whatever.

As well, we could also have in every edition an editorial article from one of
the gurus, say, 01micko, or jlst, or Flash, etc. Even Barry K., why not?! :)

Just a thought. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

kerl

#9 Post by kerl »

What about something simple like this?
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/inde ... opic=43026
clearly visible on top the forum and also to be sent by email as classic newsletter.
Notice this is quite simple, just a collection of links though briefly introduced to give context to what has been happening, what is important, which handy tools has been uploaded by whom and where,etc

Something easy to manage is bookmarks.google.com
You can tag bookmarks and add descriptions. Then it can be exported as html. From time to time one could export this html and give it the form of newsletter.

As for making sites, I use for a personal site a free addon called awesome-table.com, which can be embedded in any site. See templates 'Faq' and 'files cabinet' which I think may come in handy for a newsletter (my site uses the arvel cardvtemplate). I think they could be helpful and easy to manage.
Behind this addon there is just a google spreadsheet to maintain
Last edited by kerl on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

@kerl:
Interesting format, this "donationcoder" newsletter.

Whatever works, man! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Euh... anybody working to prove Lazy_Puppy wrong? :)

I'll volunteer for such a project, but not alone: as part of a team.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, musher0.

Ah, there's always somebody who poo-poos anything new (even when it's a re-hash of something else).

I think this is a good idea, personally. I'm more than happy to contribute, in any way I can.

Sign me up!

Without being in any way racist, it's a well-known fact that the Germans don't have a sense of humour. :lol:

(LazYPuppY, please don't take this personally; it's definitely not meant that way..! After all, I have the greatest respect for German engineering...)

I can't help thinking of another of your compatriots who states in his signature that anybody who runs a frugal Puppy is asking for trouble..??! :?

Anyway, this is the sort of thing that appeals to eccentrics like us Brits!! :lol: :lol:
Something easy to manage is bookmarks.google.com
You can tag bookmarks and add descriptions. Then it can be exported as html. From time to time one could export this html and give it the form of newsletter.
Easy enough to host, too.....wouldn't consume very much bandwidth.

Mike. :D
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 21:44, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

Hi Mike_Walsh

Great that you're interested too! I'd be more than happy to work with you!

But here's another "Euh..." :) -=> Who do we register with???!!! :lol:

kerl?

Where is kerl, BTW? Maybe the lucky man took a few days off? :lol:

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, musher0.
musher0 wrote:Who do we register with? kerl?
Dunno, mate. I guess so!

Notice I said 'contribute'....not 'co-ordinate'. That's not my bag, I'm afraid. I have enough trouble organising my day, never mind owt else..!

See if we get a response. You gotta remember, people often throw an idea like this into the ring, hoping that somebody else will take it on.

????? (*shrug*)

Mike. :wink:

jlst

#15 Post by jlst »

This is what I know about Puppy.

Major Puppy development happens in 4 different projects:
1) Barry's Quirky
2) Woof-CE - the official 'brand'
3) fatdog
4) DebianDog and alll the Dogs

puppy development happens between remasters as well.. the derivatives.

Now let's talk about WoofCE. There are about 700 commits since the last major change that was used for xenial 7.0.4.

However micko released slacko beta 1 and 2 which are about 300-400 commits behind.

the current codebase fixes several issues at woof level but also introduces a few bugs.

1) multisession dvd currently not working with the new initrd init.. to be fixed asap...
2) some fixes are needed in the ubuntu configs
3) other possible issues

phil -- we all know he's there but at the same time he isn't..
micko -- i heard he has a job consuming all his time

all the other known collaborators and experts are currently inactive. or working in their own projects.

A new developer has joined... woodenshoe-wi for raspbian jessie.

The puppy scripts are way too complex for simple mortals to handle them, so i've been trying to simplify and fix some of them while building a Debian Stretch puppy - a work in progress.. which will lead to the creation of Devuan Ascii. So in january 2017 a basic build of both will be possible. it will be missing apps, as i'll try to make it as simple as possible... and use as many debian pkgs as possible to easily create a x86_64 version of them.

As usual the main problem with Puppy and within woofce is communication.. it rarely happens or works, so decisions tend to happen directly by comitting changes...

That's my report being as sincere as possible.

kerl

#16 Post by kerl »

I'm here lurking in the dark :lol:
Look, I'm still struggling to know what Linux or Puppy is all about. Even if I was to visit the forums more regularly, I am not a coder nor a power user.. yet!

Probably the simplest way is a social bookmarking service which allows exporting to html.
Google's bookmarks is free and simple but AFAIK does not support inviting others to collaborate.
I've been looking for an alternative and the free version of bookmarkos.com seems to me more than sufficient to undertake this monumental task :)
Last edited by kerl on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

LazY Puppy

#17 Post by LazY Puppy »

Without being in any way racist, it's a well-known fact that the Germans don't have a sense of humour. :lol:
No, I don't take this personal or offended, though:

- for appr. eleven (11) years, my Girlfriend has several laughs a day, seven (7) days a week, 52 weeks a year! :wink:

Though, -of course- I'm not a usual/average German - as you all may already know? :lol:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

tlchost

#18 Post by tlchost »

love it....my post was deleted....censorship rulz, or was it a glitch in the forum?

kerl

#19 Post by kerl »

dancytron wrote:I'm not sure how it supposed to serve a different purpose than the Blog on puppylinux.com.
http://blog.puppylinux.com/

Maybe getting more material for the blog would be a better or a regular monthly "what happened this month" blog entry would be a more efficient use of time.
Thanks. I added the rss of this blog to mty feedly news reader along with a few more sites: barryk's rss and puppy linux news

I may start bookmarking and eventually sharing it on my forum signature

LazY Puppy

#20 Post by LazY Puppy »

tlchost wrote:love it....my post was deleted....censorship rulz, or was it a glitch in the forum?
I don't think it was censorship. Just do it again?
RSH