Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 10 Dec 2018, 14:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 for Raspberry Pi2 and 3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 45 [664 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 43, 44, 45 Next
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 03:01    Post subject:  

Also consider not using a unheard of in the windows world compression.

In the same idea as Ted Dogs' UEFI no format install , it was packaged in windows so that it could also be fully compatible with it.

Put that Win!0 to good use before you feed it to the sharks!!!
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 05:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
dd command its not called DISK DESTROYER in a humorous way

Love it! Yes, dd is not for the non-SW folk like me. Fortunately I found an SD card reader that actually works (in a USB 2 slot) in our local Poundstore (tipped off by a friend that this is THE one to use). Then you can use, preferably ImageMaker from Mint if the developer is kind enough to provide an .img file(!), or you can extract ditto, or other manipulation operation with impunity.
As for fsck, that's why I treasure my Puppy CD's - boot up in live mode for misbehaving HDs and run fsck from Puppy. Always works for me. Puppy is as good if not better (and faster) than many dedicated 'fix-it' distros.
Quote:
Put that Win!0 to good use before you feed it to the sharks!!!
Can't agree - build your own PCs with blank HDs, or, if laptops, buy used ones with dead HDs and put your own blank units in (but better not buy laptops at all - they'll be sure to bite you in the b*m sooner or later).
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 08:01    Post subject: Re: Why can’t I install Quirky
Subject description: Quirky Xerus-8.1.2.img.xz.

TIW wrote:
Why can’t I install Quirky 8.1.2 to my SD card ( formated with Fat 32 )?
After downloading the file and following Barry’s instruction :

1. Make sure the card is inserted but not mounted.
2. Execute this in a terminal, in this example /dev/sdb is the SD-card:
> unxz --stdout quirky-pi2-sd-8gb-xerus-8.1.2.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
> sync

I wrote in terminal > unxz --stdout quirky-pi2-sd-8gb-xerus-8.0.7alpha.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmOp1 bs=4M

The terminal answers by telling me that the --stdout command is unknown.

2. Try :
I also tried to rename “ mmOp1 “ to “ sdb2 “, which did not work.

3. Try :
placing the Quirky 8.1.2 in root and clicking on it a notice appears telling me that the file will be expanded in root and original Quirky 8.1.2 file will be deleted.
Result : no expansion and original file gets not deleted but two files appear, one named “sync” and one named “unxz”, both empty.

What is it I am doing wrong here ? Thanks to all off you for all your great work.

See new, hopefully "newbie friendly", install notes for Quirky 8.1.4:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/armv7/releases/xerus-8.1.4/install-quirky.htm

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 08:05    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
Also, I know you may not want or like to return to layered filesysytem and sfs files, but consider even in your last statement he will not be loading the sdcard with the 'corrected' name on most other environments.
FatDogArm can and does work in a copy to unmodified vfat sdcard (like they come from the store) without using dd. Some Raspberry Pi OSes, but not all can also boot without any modification.
In FatDogArm thread either me or a guy with oddly similar names Wink posted the command strings to load FatDogARM sfs into memory, like old school PuppyLinux. Since the compressed size is well under half memory it functions well, (like old school 500M leftover RAM is still a bunch )
From that 'evaluation state' you have your 'base archive.sfs' all ready to go as well with a easy to automate full install methodology, its ALL ready in memory. With promises of improved speed for a full install if they like Quirky.
What I am not asking for is a complete return to complex layering like PuppyLinux ended up like.

Yes, technically it is possible to make Quirky available as a file that you download into a vfat partition, similar to FatDogArm.
Quirky could boot into RAM, and if required, partition the sd-card and install itself.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 08:07    Post subject:  

Yes, Quirky 8.1.4 is out:

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00473

TeX Dog

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 11:36    Post subject:  

I am walking back the need to load into RAM, doesn't seem that is occurring with the other RPi OS looks like it does some method like shrinking drive to release space etc. Looks like I made the suggestion a day or two late. Do not forget to edit this main thread title, still 8.1.3.1 for me.
TIW

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 23:32    Post subject: Why can’t I install Quirky 8.1.2 to my SD card
Subject description: Quirky Xerus-8.1.2.img.xz.

Thank you every body for you advice.
@ Barry. I have read the new "newbie friendly" install page and will give it a go tonight.
Will let you know what is going to happen. Thanks again.
TIW

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec 2016, 17:14    Post subject: Quirky Xerus 8.1.4
Subject description: Why can't I install xerus 8.1.4 to my SD Card

Hi Barry. I took your advice reading the “Newbie “ Notes.

To find out the correct SD Card name the Console output was :
# probedisk
/dev/mmcb1k0|card|MMC/SD : SL32G

# probepart
/dev/mmcb1k0p1|vfat|60749824

New try to install quirky 8.1.4 to my SD Card
# unxz –stdout quirky-sd-8gb-xerus-8.1.4.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmcb1k0 bs=4M

The output was
Personal Storage space is getting full
dd: writing dev/mmcb1k0': No space left on device
0+142271 records in
0+142270 records out
1236582400 bytes (1.2 GB) copied, 22.6561 s, 54.6 MB/s

So I increased precicesave-4fs by 512 MB to 3584 M and tried again

Same problem of “No space left on device” comes up even up to 4096 M

Even worst – the message “personal storage space is full” keeps coming up immediately after each new reboot.

Do you have any suggestions ?

I also have a question in regard to the console ( urxvt ) .
Why is it not possible to copy or paste writings in there ?

Thanks again.
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec 2016, 17:28    Post subject:  

space or issues with leading / in:

unxz –stdout quirky-sd-8gb-xerus-8.1.4.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmcb1k0 bs=4M

no spaces from of till before bs=4M

computer thinks you want a file called dev/mm....

not the device /dev
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec 2016, 19:04    Post subject:  

Also a little cut/paste info which you may find helpful. Starting at End of Line of Text Press&Hold Left mouse button and have it highlight text. When at the beginning of selected text release Left button and press right mouse button for menu, select copy or cut - if you want to delete something from the Internet [ just kidding either one will work ]
Open terminal and press center button.. what no center button Wink the scroll wheel between left and right is also a button press it, or if you are good mashing both left and right buttons at exactly same time it acts like a middle button.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2016, 12:36    Post subject: Re: Quirky Xerus 8.1.4

TIW wrote:
Hi Barry. I took your advice reading the “Newbie “ Notes.

To find out the correct SD Card name the Console output was :
# probedisk
/dev/mmcb1k0|card|MMC/SD : SL32G

# probepart
/dev/mmcb1k0p1|vfat|60749824

New try to install quirky 8.1.4 to my SD Card
# unxz –stdout quirky-sd-8gb-xerus-8.1.4.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmcb1k0 bs=4M

The output was
Personal Storage space is getting full
dd: writing dev/mmcb1k0': No space left on device
0+142271 records in
0+142270 records out
1236582400 bytes (1.2 GB) copied, 22.6561 s, 54.6 MB/s

So I increased precicesave-4fs by 512 MB to 3584 M and tried again

Same problem of “No space left on device” comes up even up to 4096 M

Even worst – the message “personal storage space is full” keeps coming up immediately after each new reboot.

You need a 8GB SD card.

You don't have to increase the size of your save-file. What this line is doing is writing the file direct to the SD-card:

unxz –stdout quirky-sd-8gb-xerus-8.1.4.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmcb1k0 bs=4M

If the SD-card size is less than the expanded size of the file, you will get an "out of space" message.

I don't know what the problem is with your "personal storage space". Quirky has left that particular issue behind, as we normally have a full installation, which can use an entire partition.

But, one suggestion, to avoid the "personal space" issue:

Do you have a hard drive partition, with lots of space in it?
Use that instead. Move the quirky*.img.xz file to that hard drive partition. Any partition will do, even a Windows NTFS or VFAT.

Then open a terminal in that partition, and run that command again, to write to the sd-card. And be sure to use a 8GB or greater card.

TeX Dog

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2016, 12:47    Post subject:  

It's a 32G sdcard he should be good once the typos are corrected. @BK looks like I will NOT be asking Santa for one of those baby laptops after reading your Blog... Wink
If you can bring back the seagull and make a water theme for next release series 8.2.0 ( sounds like H.2.O ) if you are going to bump up for the T2 release.
This should be my last post for a while < stop cheering, geesh! > got to clear out computer room for massive family visit.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2016, 13:01    Post subject: Re: Quirky Xerus 8.1.4

TIW wrote:
I also have a question in regard to the console ( urxvt ) .
Why is it not possible to copy or paste writings in there ?

Yes, as Tex Dog posted.

It is easy, once you know how.

Any text that you highlight goes into a special buffer, which can be pasted by clicking the middle button on the mouse.

If your mouse has a scroll-wheel, that usually also is a button, just press it.

Easy to try it. In one window, say in this browser, drag over any text to highlight it. Then, anywhere else, just click the middle button to paste.

...of course, be careful what you paste into a terminal window.

To play with the concept, you could open the text editor, and test pasting into there.

This is a separate mechanism to the clipboard, where you use ctrl-c, ctrl-v. The urxvt doesn't understand ctrl-v, however, if you put something into the clipboard, the middle button click should be able to paste it.

...well, I think so. Sorted this out in Puppy years ago. Just tried it, yes, it does still work. Highlight any word, then ctrl-c to clipboard. Un-highlight the word. Do middle-click in the terminal, yep, the word gets pasted.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2016, 13:18    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
It's a 32G sdcard he should be good once the typos are corrected. @BK looks like I will NOT be asking Santa for one of those baby laptops after reading your Blog... Wink
If you can bring back the seagull and make a water theme for next release series 8.2.0 ( sounds like H.2.O ) if you are going to bump up for the T2 release.
This should be my last post for a while < stop cheering, geesh! > got to clear out computer room for massive family visit.

Oh, I see. TIW put in spaces where they shouldn't be, so "dd" wrote into his save-file instead of to the sd-card!
No wonder he ran out of space, would have needed 8GB free space.

Yeah, the Asus E200HA is a lovely little laptop, and quite cheap.
I did see a post somewhere that the 4.10 kernel might have some compatibility fixes -- I don't know if they were just dreaming.

TIW

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2016, 18:23    Post subject: Quirky xerus 8.1.4.
Subject description: Why can't I install xerus 8.1.4 to SDcard

@ Barry
‎I have succeeded to install quirky xerus 8.1.2 on to my SDCard. The terminal command I used was :
‎# unxz --stdout quirky-‏pi2-sd-8gb-xerus-8.1.2.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M

‎The SDCard will not however boot on my Laptop. Is that normal ? Will xerus 8.1.2. only boot on a Rasberry ?

Having succeeded with xerus 8.1.2. I am very sorry,
but‭ ‬I can not‭ ‬install this‭ ‬quirky-pi2-sd-8gb-xerus-8.1.4.img.xz file to my‭ ‬32‭ ‬GB SDCard.

I have read the install instruction Newbee page an spend a hole evening trying.‭
I have tried every combination of terminal data input‭ – ‬with spaces‭ – ‬without spaces‭ – ‬with pi2‭ – ‬without pi2‭ – ‬re formating the Card‭ ‬from fat32‭ ‬to ext2/3‭ – ‬Not a chance.

The message that come up the most is‭ “‬Warning:‭ ‬Personal storage getting full‭ ‬...‭ “ ‬or‭ ‬“Not enough space on devise‭”‬.‭ ‬My Card has‭ ‬32‭ ‬GB‭ – ‬is that enough space‭ ?

The name of the Card is something special.‭ ‬Here are the various options‭ ‬:
Take your guess.
‎ ‏On the desktop under the SDCard the name is shown as‭ “‬mm0p1‭”
Using the Terminal with‭ ‬#‭ ‬probedisk the name shown is‭ “‬mmcblk0‭”
‎ ‏placing the mouse over the desktop SDCard icon,‭ ‬right click,‭ ‬edit item the drive name is given as‭ “‬mmcblk0p1‭”
Open Gparted‭ ‬and‭ ‬the option given for formating is‭ “‬mmcblk0‭”
‎ ‏To actually format‭ ‬the entire SDCard the name is given as‭ “‬mmcblk0P1‭“

Now if that is not confusing,‭ ‬I don’t know what is.‭

My immediate advise‭ ‬to you‭ ‬is,‭ ‬to create a‭ “ ‬quirky.iso‭ “ ‬file,‭ ‬because they don’t give any trouble and are understood by probably all newbees.

After each try to install xerus 8.1.4. to the SDCard the Warning‭ ‬:‭ “‬Personal storage getting full‭ “ ‬is given.

Once that message‭ ‬appears on the desktop,‭ ‬it’s not going away‭ ‬any more,‭ ‬even after reboot it’s still blinking in the Tray .

One problem I have had is the identification of terminal fonts.‭ ‬I had to ask someone to identify the‭ “‬probedisk‭” ‬output because I find‭ ‬1 ( one )‭ ‬and l ( Lima ) almost indistinguishably in the Terminal.
Is there a way to change the‭ ‬existing fonts to‭ “Times New Roman” ‬because with those fonts there can be no mistake between‭ ‬1‭ ‬or l‭ ‬,‭ ‬as you can see.

I will tonight try and install Xerus 8.1.4 onto a USB HDD.. Should be fun.

Thanks for all
Page 34 of 45 [664 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 43, 44, 45 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: