Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 09:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Adobe Flash Player Auto Updater
Page 5 of 7 [101 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Kicalaf

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2016, 12:28    Post subject:  

Is there any problem with this new version 22.0.0.209 ? From yesterday, I've opened Auto Uptader several time and waited for an hour minimum, but still isn't available to download.
2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   12.47 KB
 Viewed   1093 Time(s)

2.png

1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   18.5 KB
 Viewed   1105 Time(s)

1.png

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2016, 13:31    Post subject:  

Hi, Kicalaf.

Adobe have been changing things around at their end again, and some of the URLs and other bits & pieces aren't as they should be.

I'll point you back to an earlier post in this thread from sfs; he discovered that the auto-updater script (in /usr/bin) needed a small modification.

Before you do, though, run the following in the terminal:-

Code:
rm -r ~/.flash_update

Then, open /usr/bin/update-flash with Geany, find line 94, and do the following:-

Edit line 94 from:

"wget --no-check-certificate --user-agent="Mozilla Linux" -q -N -P ~/.flash_update get.adobe.com/flashplayer/"

to:

"wget --no-check-certificate --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 Linux" -q -N -P ~/.flash_update get.adobe.com/flashplayer/"

Then save, exit Geany, and run Update Flash from Menu>Internet>Update Flash. It should be back to checking for 11.2.202.632 again.

22.0.0.209 is no good to you; it wouldn't work even if you did download it. That's the Chrome/Chromium-based PepperFlash. Even if you could somehow run the script and download it, it wouldn't run when placed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.....because the Mozilla-based browsers couldn't use it. Unless you've installed the 'freshplayer-plugin wrapper', of course.....

Mike. Wink

Belham

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2016, 15:15    Post subject:  

sfs wrote:
OverDrive wrote:
I edited line 94 from:
wget --no-check-certificate --user-agent="Mozilla Linux" -q -N -P ~/.flash_update get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
to:
wget --no-check-certificate --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 Linux" -q -N -P ~/.flash_update get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

It works. You have not forgotten before starting
rm -r ~/.flash_update ?

Sfs & Mike & Overdive,

Thanks, sfs/overdrive/mike, I can't believe I forgot to look in plain-jane /usr/bin with your sfs's tip to fix the downloader script. Even so, I'd never have figured out the "rm -r ~/.flash_update" terminal tip if sfs wouldn't have told me. Otherwise, lol, I would have been banging my head against the wall. Mucho gracias!! Very Happy

The sooner every site only uses HTML5 (and such) and gets rid of flash, the better. Adobe Flash is a long-dead horse, while good during its time, is nothing but a "trojan horse" (it seems) now.

P.S. Mike, what did you mean in one of your sentences of another post on this thread that [i]32-bit Pepperflash is back & being developed? You mean Google and/or the Chromium gang changed their minds and are going to be releasing a fully updated 32-bit browser, with updated flash no less? I thought they abandon all the architecture of the 32-bit browser, and not just flash? Arrrrrggghhhh, now I am wondering if I could have avoided all these 64-bit headaches over the past 6 months and just stuck with 32-bit puppies??[/i]
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2016, 15:55    Post subject:  

Hi, Belham.

Exactly what I said. 32-bit Linux PepperFlash is being actively developed again, it seems. Plus, it's freely downloadable from the 'Flash Player Download Center', in the same way that 'standard' Linux Flash is.

No, Google have not done an about turn. Chrome is, and very firmly remains, 64-bit only. I suspect this move is just on Adobe's part; I believe they've been released from whatever contract they had with Google for the 32-bit version. Google don't want it any more, but the Chromium Projects, where Chromium (the open-source version) is developed, are still developing 32-bit architecture with gusto. And even though Google sponsor the Chromium Projects (it is, after all, where the source code for their own browser is developed), they don't exactly control them. And there's several browsers based on Chromium.

I think it's one of two things. Either Adobe is trying to make amends to the open-source community in their own, fumbling sort of way.....or it's just a gigantic cock-up. I'm merely making use of it while I can; I've just made another series of 32-bit Pepper .pets, and it's running in all my browsers already.....

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 15:09; edited 1 time in total
Kicalaf

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2016, 18:03    Post subject: Much obliged sir  

Much obliged Mr. Mike Walsh Wink

Now is everything clear. I have understood correctly Wink
much obliged.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   199.76 KB
 Viewed   1160 Time(s)

much obliged.jpg

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2016, 18:49    Post subject:  

Re uploaded pet in first post, it will now install in all pups, my bad Wink

sfs

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 04:42    Post subject:  

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#libpepflashplayer.so autoupdater 160715 sfs
pf="/usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so" #change path 4 your libpepflashplayer.so in OS

wget --no-check-certificate --user-agent="Chromium Linux" -q -N -P ~/.flash_update https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ || exit 1
LATEST_VERSION=`sed -n '/<strong>Version /s/^.*<strong>Version \(.*\)<\/strong>.*$/\1/p' ~/.flash_update/index.html`
echo "LATEST_VERSION=$LATEST_VERSION"

IV() { INSTALLED_VERSION="`awk '/LNX / {gsub(/\,/,".",$0);print substr($2,1,11)}' "$pf"`" ; }
IV ; echo "INSTALLED_VERSION=$INSTALLED_VERSION"

if [ "$LATEST_VERSION" = "$INSTALLED_VERSION" ]; then
    echo "LATEST_VERSION=INSTALLED_VERSION=$INSTALLED_VERSION" ; exit 1
else
    [ "`uname -m`" = "x86_64" ] && i=x86_64 || i=i386
    wget -q -N -P ~/.flash_update https://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/$LATEST_VERSION/flash_player_ppapi_linux.$i.tar
.gz && \
    cd ~/.flash_update/ && \
    tar -zxvf flash_player_ppapi_linux.$i.tar.gz libpepflashplayer.so >/dev/null && \
    cd / && \
    mv "$pf" "$pf".bak && \
    mv ~/.flash_update/libpepflashplayer.so "$pf" && \
    rm -r ~/.flash_update && \
    IV && \
    m="DONE! $pf updated $INSTALLED_VERSION" && \
    echo "$m" && \
    exit 0
fi
echo "$0 Error"
exit 1

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 06:22    Post subject:  

SFS, if this is what I think it is ( I'm no bash expert, at all).....then you're a flippin' marvel, man. This is the snag with me not really understanding scripting; I can think of no end of improvements/alterations I'd like to do, but I simply don't know how to implement them.

This could not have been attempted before, however, since Adobe have never made the Linux version of Pepper publicly available for download like this. Previously, you always got the new release built-in to a new browser update.

Coupla questions, if I may?

1) Could this script install Pepper to more than one location? I ask, because I run both Chrome and SlimJet in most of my Pups. Perhaps this (correct me if I'm wrong, please):-

Change line 3 from:-

pf="/usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"

to...

pf="/usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so" && "/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"

Would that work? I think you can see what I'm trying to do. As I said, my scripting knowledge is minimal; I pick up odd bits here & there, but I have a very long way to go..!

2) Any way this could be inserted into Geoffrey's script so that we have the GUI for it? I haven't run this yet; do I take it this runs in the terminal?

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 18:00; edited 1 time in total
sfs

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 08:35    Post subject:  

1. If two files - one update. Correct path
Code:
pf="/usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"

Second:
Code:
ln -s "/usr/lib/chromium/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"  "/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"

2. no GUI

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2016, 10:36    Post subject:  

@sfs:-

Just had a chance to try your 'Pepper-update-script'. Works nicely for all Chromium-based browsers, by the simple expedient of changing the appropriate path.....despite being 'terminal-only' for now.

Thanks very much! Appreciated. You should make this up into a package and upload it for general use..! Very useful, indeed.

Mike. Very Happy

totolanio

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2016, 12:18    Post subject:  

guys, I installed the lastest version 24 on firefox (from oscartalk), and it still doesn't work on this page https://www.adobe.com/fr/shockwave/welcome/
It's correctly activated/installed in firefox in the plugin panel

I tried to uninstall it and reinstall flash player 11 with "Get flash 1.6" and update flash 1.5 but it still shows "24.0.r" inside firefox plugins and it doesn't display flash. And still shows "libavcodec is not up to date".

Anyone has an idea? It's just annoying that some sites aren't working cause of flash.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2016, 17:17    Post subject:  

@totolanio, this post should help you with the flash not playing problem.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=933759#933759

as for the wrong plugin showing, manually remove the libflashplayer.so located
Quote:
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
then restart the browser, it should not list the flash plugin,
then run the updater, restart the browser once more and it should now displaying the correct version of flash.

totolanio

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2016, 21:45    Post subject:  

Thanks that's the exact solution. Had two issues at the same time.

I'll keep using your script now everything is fixed!

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 18:17    Post subject:  

Flashplayer 11 for Linux is no more, Auto Updater version 1.6 see first post.

I couldn't get youtube to use the new flashplayer version 24.0.0.186 in Firefox, no matter what I tried it continued to use HTML5, seem to work for flash games ok though.
flash.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   11.49 KB
 Viewed   646 Time(s)

flash.jpg

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 22:12    Post subject:  

Thanks Geoffrey.
I believe the YouTube thing is something that YouTube have introduced to force HTML5 unless it is not available.
Slimjet has a "force flash player on youtube" tickbox, but it has stopped working.

Regarding the updater, I know it still works without this step, but do you think it would be a good idea for the script to
Code:
chown root:root libflashplayer.so
at some point?

Page 5 of 7 [101 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: