CD RW wont boot after saving first setup on CD.

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

Flash I surely trust your experience and it will be interesting to see
how it turns out in the end. I have no easy to access burner just now
so I only go on poor memory so I should STFU until I have one to test.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ganvir

Facing similar issue

#22 Post by ganvir »

I have done the same thing. Lucid 528 was burnt to a CD RW using CDburnerXP (session at once).
I was able to boot from the CD. Was pretty happy, when the session data was saved on the CD. But after that, CD will not boot.

I can see the data, but no use. The CD will not boot. If a solution was found, please update.

Jasper

#23 Post by Jasper »

Hi ganvir,

Perhaps the save was corrupted. If when you boot you see a splash screen; press F2 and type " puppy pfix=1" (without the quote marks). That should ignore your last save.

My regards

Lookinglass360

#24 Post by Lookinglass360 »

Good Day All
I too have experienced cds and dvds burned “Multi-session

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper »

Hi Lookingglass360 et al,

I have two CD/DVD drives on my desktop. A multi-session CD will only boot in the first drive unless I subsequently close it (so that it is no longer writable) then it will boot from the second drive as well.

If you want to close a multi-session CD (as a test) you could use zigbert's Pburn and if can read the CD add any file(s) (even a tiny file you don't want or need) using the close option.

In my W98SE days I seem to remember reading that a closed CD/DVD should work on any computer.

My regards

PS zigbert commented that it may take a long time to close a DVD.

Lookinglass360

#26 Post by Lookinglass360 »

Hi Jasper
Thanks for your interest.
Used a 50k jpg image file, pburn complained " disk is not blank or writable"
so I hit cancel.
It then said scanning please wait, but I had already hit the button to open
the tray.
It promptly closed, when finished it informed me that "cd closed 14mb added"
Well it still did not boot, looking just now to see what was added?
I can't see where anything was added but the disk dose show an increase of that size.
I'll check it on the computer it would boot from and see if that's still the case. I'll let you know what I find.

Got to get some sleep finish this in about 6hr.

Happy trails

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Lupu 528 CD-RW wont boot after saving first setup on CD.

#27 Post by Flash »

[quote="Lookinglass360"]Good Day All
I too have experienced cds and dvds burned “Multi-session

nooby

#28 Post by nooby »

Is this solved now. I need to learn how to deal with it and fail to get the thread.

Did it get solved?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#29 Post by Flash »

Evidently Lookinglass lost interest about six months ago. So no, whatever his problem was is not solved. :?

Lookinglass360

Post subject:

#30 Post by Lookinglass360 »

Wow I lost track of this post in November!
No I haven’t lost interest just been short on time!

I am no whiz but if I can help to solve this I will certainly
put some effort into it as time allows!

Thanks for the wake up call!

Good Day to all!
Murga forum is down so I’ll try to go from memory.

Jasper: Using pburn to try and close the disk as you suggested dose not seem to have worked and I could not find the jpg file using pfind but 14mb
have been added to the disk. Oh ya it took 5 sec. longer for the cursor to
move. I have no idea if that means anything or not.
Tried the disk in a computer I knew this disk to work
with, and it still booted and functioned as it should.
I added an jpg image to /usr/share/backgrounds and it had been saved
to disk after re boot.

Flash: Yes I did mean that the multi-session disk would not boot at all
after the first save on the same pc. No happy puppy face, no boot menu.
Also taped the f-2 repeatedly after the American Megatrends info
screen, only to see it go strait to a black screen with no message
just flashing cursor.

Another thing I have done is blank this same disk with pburn 3.3.4
then re burn with burniso2cd at speed 4 and then 18 with the same result.
I normally burn at speed 8 without any problems
It is as you said no, “ it is going to require someone with a great deal of
understanding of multi-session code and computer hardware.
Even if some commonality is found it seems likely that such persons
would also need to have a few of these computers in their possession
before they could make any meaningful assessments.
For now it would seem that collecting hardware info from people who
have run into this issue to see if a pattern emerges.
Thanks Guys.......off to work I go

Edit: Thursday 24, Forum still down.
This is cd-info from the hp Pavilion a465c
# cd-info
cd-info version 0.81 i486-pc-linux-gnu
Copyright (c) 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 R. Bernstein
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
CD location : /dev/cdrom
CD driver name: GNU/Linux
access mode: ioctl

Vendor : SONY
Model : DVD RW DRU-840A
Revision : SS01
Hardware : CD-ROM or DVD
Can eject : Yes
Can close tray : Yes
Can disable manual eject : Yes
Can select juke-box disc : No

Can set drive speed : No
Can read multiple sessions (e.g. PhotoCD) : Yes
Can hard reset device : Yes

Reading....
Can read Mode 2 Form 1 : Yes
Can read Mode 2 Form 2 : Yes
Can read (S)VCD (i.e. Mode 2 Form 1/2) : Yes
Can read C2 Errors : Yes
Can read IRSC : Yes
Can read Media Channel Number (or UPC) : Yes
Can play audio : Yes
Can read CD-DA : Yes
Can read CD-R : Yes
Can read CD-RW : Yes
Can read DVD-ROM : Yes

Writing....
Can write CD-RW : Yes
Can write DVD-R : Yes
Can write DVD-RAM : Yes
Can write DVD-RW : No
Can write DVD+RW : No

Disc mode is listed as: CD-DATA (Mode 1)
CD-ROM Track List (1 - 3)
#: MSF LSN Type Green? Copy?
1: 00:02:00 000000 data false no
2: 17:29:57 078582 data false no
3: 27:50:44 125144 data false no
170: 28:19:64 127339 leadout (285 MB raw, 248 MB formatted)
Media Catalog Number (MCN): 0000000000000
Last CD Session LSN: 125144
Application: GENISOIMAGE ISO 9660/HFS FILESYSTEM CREATOR (C) 1993 E.YOUNGDALE (C) 1997-2006 J.PEARSON/J.SCHILLING (C) 2006-2007 CDRKIT TEAM
Preparer :
Publisher :
System : LINUX
Volume : lupu_528
Volume Set :
bootable CD
session #2 starts at track 2, LSN: 78582, ISO 9660 blocks: 39510
ISO 9660: 39510 blocks, label ‘CDROM ‘
session #3 starts at track 3, LSN: 125144, ISO 9660 blocks: 2043
ISO 9660: 2043 blocks, label ‘CDROM ‘
#

If you know of something I can do to help narrow this down just ask!

Thank You!
Lookinglass360: AKA as Bob

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#31 Post by Flash »

I could be completely wrong. I'm the furthest thing from an expert. I think that the sessions of a multisession CD should all be on track #1. You show that each session is on a separate track. I haven't used a CD for so long that I can't remember if that should be right. For general info, the CD specification allows CDs a maximum of 99 tracks. DVDs have no such limit.

It's really strange that cd-info says your Sony DRU-840A can write to a DVD-RAM but no other kind of rewritable DVD. :? Sony's website says a DRU-840A can write to anything.

Is there any chance that you could try burning Puppy to a DVD-R using Burniso2cd?

The only other thing I can think of is to suggest you try to update the firmware of the Sony. If that's even possible, you'd have to do it from Windows.

tallboy

#32 Post by tallboy »

Hi all!
I write this in my dpup-484beta4, running from a live-CD, burnt multisession on my ancient, builtin Sony CD-RW CRX140E, rev. 1n, burn speed 4. I have experimented with burning multisessions and modifying sfs's, and - as discussed in another thread, adding applications to folders stored on the multisession CD/DVD, for easy retrieval and installation of massive programs from the CD/DVD, whitout the need for a net connection, and without compromising boot speed.
I think some interesting text came out of Lookinglass360's cd-info, namely the line:
' Can read multiple sessions (e.g. PhotoCD) : Yes '
Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is a function introduced with the Kodak photo CD, and was invented some time before last stoneage! (try bringing an old Kodak photo cd into a photo-lab and ask them if they can make prints; if they have only Windoze-based software, they'll just scream and run!) You can also read lower down, in the 'CD Analysis Report', the dates in the description of the program used, indicating that multisession is not exactly a recently added function.
I made several multisession CD's that would not boot, because I used the commandline to burn, and obviously did not do it right. In the end, one mistake turned out to be a simple typing error that I repeatedly pasted into the command, but that is another story... :oops:

There is a file named /usr/sbin/remasterpup2, that contains the command used when remastering a cd, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

mkisofs -D -R -o dpup-485.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table puppylivecdbuild

Apart from the file names, you have to use all that code!

The sfs's were made from folders in a folder in /tmp named 'puppylivecdbuild' (as original), with the command:

Code: Select all

mksquashfs puppylivecdbuild/ dpup-485.iso -keep-as-directory
The files were burnt multisession with burniso2cd, located in /usr/sbin/burniso2cd.

There is given an option to verify the burn, have you tried that?

I always took great care to keep any out any modifications made to the original files from the downloaded original .iso, unless they were intended, and made all the mods and burns on a machine not connected to the net. I have several old linux-boxes, and I still got some CD's that will not boot on all, a reason may be because not all graphic drivers are present. It is also very difficult to keep out all of the necessary mods you make to the session you are copying, I don't know if there are any hard links that may screw up some attempts to remove all the modifications
There definitely are some flaws in the puppy scripts for making a remastered CD/DV. I have tried to make my own recipe to remember all steps, but I always end up with new icons not looking as they should, prefs that I wanted included have gone missing and so on, I have never succeded in making a single remastered CD/DVD exactly as I intended it to be! But, the day will come!

Edit: I also remembered another issue, linked to this problem: If you try to use the boot command 'puppy pfix=1' as described in a post earlier, while only having one save on the CD, it will go halfway into the boot process, and end abruptly with: 'kernel panic: attempting to kill init', forcing a physical removal of the power cord to stop the machine! Mmm, great fun every time! :roll:

tallboy

Mitchellray

Multi-session CD-RW does boot w/ use of bootflash stick

#33 Post by Mitchellray »

I haven't found the solution in any of the threads I could find.

While the Multi-session CD-R would not reboot after first save,
it Does boot with the use of a usb bootflash stick.
The usb bootflash stick has had its syslinux.cfg altered to pmedia=cd.
When the boot takes place using the usb bootflash stick,
with the cd inserted as well,
the OS boots and the saved file is loaded.
Also, the process never looks for my other save files on the hard drive.
The usb bootflash stick does otherwise boot and then discover my other save files, when that cd is not used.
I am doing this with racy-5.5.
The CD-R was burned on an usb disc burner. But, this Laptop (I read it) won't boot from the external player.

I am now hoping that this little bit of information about the usb bootflash stick being able to boot the previously saved session on the CD-R will lead to a resolution.
M

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#34 Post by Flash »

How exactly did you make the USB bootflash stick?

Mitchellray

Multi-session CD-RW does boot w/ use of bootflash stick

#35 Post by Mitchellray »

Hi Flash,
It was created a while ago, but I just happened to try this after reading the threads on this subject.
To my recollection, I made it as I have for a few of the puppy(s). I used the Bootflash Install Puppy to USB. I most likely used the default choice which is USB-HDD.
Then, I go into the syslinux.cfg and change pmedia=usbflash(?)(I would have to make a new one to confirm that was the original text), to pmedia=cd.
I usually use that usb flash stick to boot and discover my save files on the hard disk. I guess that is common. Sometimes I use a cd to boot when I want to run in ram without mounting anything. (more info than you asked for)

Also, earlier I created an .iso from that usb flash stick, and then burned that to a cd-r. It was a try my luck attempt at getting a cd-r with save file to boot on it's own.
The disc would not boot at all.

And, my system will say that it is unable to locate the OS when I try to boot a cd-r with a session saved. But it will work with the usb bootflash stick accompanying it. (not that last one that I made from the files on the usb bootflash stick, only ones made from the official racy-5.5.iso)
M

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#36 Post by Flash »

Thank you. :)

Mitchellray

Multi-session CD-RW does boot w/ bootflash stick - But.....

#37 Post by Mitchellray »

Flash,
It looks like that works then.

Do you think someone might be able to use that bit of information to figure out how to adjust the scripts, so as to make the originally intended utility of being able to use those cd(s) on any machine while also maintaining an ongoing update to saved sessions a reality?
M

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#38 Post by Flash »

I don't know enough to say. Let's hope that someone who does know will read this thread.

Mitchellray

Multi-session CD-RW does boot w/ bootflash stick - But.....

#39 Post by Mitchellray »

I was trying to burn to a racy-5.5 cd with saved sessions, the same files that existed on the cd-r prior to first save. I tried to introduce the first four (boot.cat, boot.msg, help2.msg, help.msg), but pburn did not place duplicates onto the disc. It indicated that the burn was successful, but no duplicates are there upon inspection.

Then, I did something that I would think has been done before. I put a racy-5.5 cd with no save file in my laptop drive and powered on. Then I F2(ed) to options screen. Then I ejected the disc and replaced it with one that was unbootable due having had sessions saved to it. Then I typed "puppy" at the prompt and the boot went through. The save sessions were recognized and loaded.
M

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#40 Post by Flash »

Mitchellray, the duplicates probably were burned on the disk. If I remember right, Puppy (or maybe it's Rox) shows what's on the disk by combining everything and showing only the latest version if there are two files or directories with the same name. Look at the date the file or directory was created on the disk.

Thanks for the tip about starting the boot with a pristine Puppy CD, then switching. As far as I can remember, nobody has done that before.