Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 22:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Required Foxit reader
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
newlink

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2016, 08:06    Post subject:  Required Foxit reader
Subject description: pdf reader

Hi,
I need foxit reader latest possible for my simplicity os, which has can open files in many tabs. I had installed one which could open one file at a time time and could not open some pdf file.
Thanks
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2016, 11:28    Post subject:  

Do you mean a PDF reader?
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2016, 12:29    Post subject:  

Hi, newlink.

Mm. I don't know much about Simplicity, but I can tell you that the Windows version of Foxit runs well under WINE. I haven't tried the Linux version yet; I run WINE for quite a few Windoze apps, and just tried Foxit for the hell of it. To my surprise, it runs fine.

I'm currently using version 7.34, which was released maybe three months ago. It's since been superseded by 8.1, but since the version I have works fine for me I won't bother upgrading.

However, using WINE is not to everyone's liking.....and not everybody has sufficient RAM to do so, so without knowing more about your hardware, I can't really advise further.

---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- Have just given the Linux version a try. Seems to run OK. It has the same, multi-tab functionality of the Windoze version.....but it's nowhere near as pretty to look at!

All depends on whether you're more interested in eye-candy than how well it does the job, I suppose.

If you want to try the current Linux version, you can get it from the link on this page, here:-

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/company/press.php?id=408

If you follow the install instructions, you'll end up with a binary executable installer. Click on it to install, and it will install Foxit to /opt. Once installed, go into /opt, and you'll find a desktop shortcut file. Drag (or send) this to the desktop, and there's your launcher.

It also has a MenuEntry, under 'Documents'.

Hope that helps.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec 2016, 12:36    Post subject: foxit reader for recent Ubuntu-based Pups/Dogs  

Hi newlink,

I don't recall which Puppy was remastered as Simplicity. If Slacko or Fatdog was its base, I don't know if this will work. But its worth a trial. Worst case, you'll have to uninstall. This link will take you to the Ubuntu installer link and discussion. http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2015/09/install-foxit-reader-in-ubuntu/. The installer, itself, is actually on a Foxit webpage:
https://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/. The download link is on the right side. It toggles between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Both the following and the attached pet should work if you select the 32-bit foxitreader installer,

I chose the 64-bit version as I was interested in fleshing out Xenialpup64. However, as I may want to use it under Tahrpup64 or some other 64-bit Puppy, i didn't "actually install it". Rather, what I did was direct the installation program to install its foxitsoftware folder (which contains everything) to /mnt/home. [Actually, a folder on /mnt/home named Pup-Apps in which I keep all applications which can be run from anywhere].

You might tell Foxit reader to install itself to /opt --that's where Libreoffice and Chrome&Clones place their files-- or even /usr/local/bin or /root/my-applications/bin. Both the latter are "on the path" which means your system will look there for executables. Neither /opt nor /mnt/home are on the path. So if such locations are chosen you have to either browse to an application's executable and Left-click it, or create a symbolic link or bash-script on the path to the executable and a desktop file in /usr/share/applications so that you'll have a menu entry. [Linux expects to find executables in bin folders. I'm not sure it is smart enough to find desktop files --which it uses to display menu entries-- if they are not located at /usr/share/applications. So you may have to juggle to create menu entries where ever you locate the foxitsoftware folder]. Or you can just drag the executable to your desktop which creates a symlink to it.

But for your convenience, I've attached the pet which will give you a menu entry.

The bash-script in /root/my-applications/bin --which actually starts the application-- currently reads:

#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/home/Pup-Apps/foxitsoftware/foxitreader/FoxitReader "$@"

You'll have to open that file in a text editor and change the part in red to exactly state the path to the foxitsoftware folder. Linux is case sensative and spelling, of course, matters. Computer programs are fast, but have no common sense.

After installing first foxit reader and then the menu pet, remember to Save to your SaveFile/Folder and restart-x. You should be able to then run foxitreader from your menu. If not, double-check spellings and punctuation, make corrections, Save to SaveFile/folder and reboot.

Disregard the mention of 64 in the pet's name. Neither the desktop file nor the bash-script refer to a 64-bit application. It's just my way of distinguishing between 64 and 32 bit applications. And I haven't yet have had the need to "install" a 32-bit FoxitReader.

Edit: The above may not be necessary. I just installed foxitreader to a different computer on which my external applications are in a slightly differently named folder. Couldn't remember if I had placed the script in /root/my-applications/bin or /usr/local/bin. So I ran pfind. It appears that Foxitreaders installation program places the desktop file in /usr/share/applications and creates a symlink "on the path" to the executable regardless of where you've directed foxitreader to locate its files. See if it works before installing the attached pet.

P.S. If you are running wine, foxitreader's portable for XP works fine, although --expecting to be on an XP-- looks first to wine's drive_c, and you have to browse to the location of your files. Alternatively, you may be able to use an older version available on the forum: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FoxitReader?show_comments=3

Edit: Small annoyance. Menu>Setup>Default Application Chooser's PDF drop-down menu did not offer Foxitreader as a choice. So I typed in the name --Foxit-- I had given to the symlink to Forxit Reader's executable. If you don't use the attached pet, you still may want to create a symlink to the executable for that reason. Alternatively, less convenient, you may want to try adding FoxitReader to the Right-Click Send-to Menu.

Hope this helps.

mikesLr
Foxit64_external.pet
Description  Creates Menu listing for FoxitReader
pet

Download 
Filename  Foxit64_external.pet 
Filesize  6.51 KB 
Downloaded  59 Time(s) 
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: