#puppylinux IRC Channel Operator bans Tahr developer

News, happenings
tlchost

#puppylinux IRC Channel Operator bans Tahr developer

#1 Post by tlchost »

One of the current Operators in the #puppylinux IRC channel, who apparently doesn't even use Puppy, has banned the Developer of TAHR from the channel.

ChanServ

#2 Post by ChanServ »

*bans tlchost* just kidding :lol:

dejan555

#3 Post by dejan555 »

Always some drama in that channel. Didn't you have op status there too tlc?
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

tlchost

#4 Post by tlchost »

ChanServ wrote:*bans tlchost* just kidding :lol:
yea, right

tlchost

#5 Post by tlchost »

dejan555 wrote:Always some drama in that channel. Didn't you have op status there too tlc?
yes...i did...but it was removed because of my cavalier attitude and poking fun at lurkers...before that, there was a small group of folks that tried to help others, but now, with a "proper" atmosphere many helpers are gone.

Current "ownership" of the channel reminds me of slum lqndlords, never there actively, never helping users.

jlst

#6 Post by jlst »

That channel seems to be dead. the few times i've been there.. it all seemed so 'calm'..

tlchost

#7 Post by tlchost »

jlst wrote:That channel seems to be dead. the few times i've been there.. it all seemed so 'calm'..
At one time "lurking" was discouraged...as many folks, like yourself would come into the channel and see no activitry. Even worse, they would ask questions and get no answers.

There were a few active members who actually tried to help, or at the very least acknowledge that someone had joined the channel. After a non-puppy user and confirmed lurker was named ChanOp many opf the active folks disappeared.

A new support/chat for Puppy is in the works...It will be announced in the forum and users who have the desire to help others will be solicited for participation. Hopefully some of the previous helpers and devs will log in.

jlst

#8 Post by jlst »

And who could be that ominous creature? I always thought IRC was to have fun. Back in 2006-2009 i used to hang out in some irc channels and it was fun having some people to chat with. I still remember those days with sadness..

jlst

#9 Post by jlst »

I actually joined yesterday and asked who banned the "developer of tahr" and no one replied.

I'd certainly join that channel. I think IRC might be the way to have some informal chat about puppy development and try to come to an agreement with some other devs (informally - the puppy way)..

and of course with some people helping newbies...

drunkjedi

#10 Post by drunkjedi »

I know nothing about IRC.

I built my PC 3 years back and that's when I started using Puppy. I wasn't computer literate before that. Not that I am much now...

Anyway reading this thread, I read up some about IRC, I will surely join when I get hang of it.

I downloaded IRCcloud app on my android.
made a login.
At first I selected irc.irccloud.com in hostname, didn't see anyone in #puppylinux.

Then selected freenode in hostname, saw few in #puppylinux, ChanServ as OP.

Am I at right place?

Sorry for this noob question.

tlchost

#11 Post by tlchost »

drunkjedi wrote:I know nothing about IRC.
neither did I when I first used it

I built my PC 3 years back and that's when I started using Puppy. I wasn't computer literate before that. Not that I am much now...

Anyway reading this thread, I read up some about IRC, I will surely join when I get hang of it.

I downloaded IRCcloud app on my android.
made a login.
At first I selected irc.irccloud.com in hostname, didn't see anyone in #puppylinux.

Then selected freenode in hostname, saw few in #puppylinux, ChanServ as OP.

Am I at right place?

Sorry for this noob question.
Yep....there will be a new place soon.
You might want to try this too in your browser
https://webchat.freenode.net/

Enter #puppylinux as the channel and whatever nick you want.

slavvo67

#12 Post by slavvo67 »

I remember people being real nasty to me on the IRC Channel. Tried to pop in and start a chat another time and nobody wrote.... Sadly, it looks like this platform is dead to puppy.

dejan555

#13 Post by dejan555 »

I was quite active in that channel for some time, back when I was more active on forums too and more familiar with current puppy projects. After I stuck using specific puplet and when puppy split into a lot of different branches it was harder for me to help users but it was a good way of communication because it gives user a real-time support. Even I learned a lot there when I was first starting with puppy. Then there were lots of times when regulars where just having off-topic chatter. There were always malevolent trolls that would come in the channel though and sometimes it was hard to manage channel. I liked it though a lot back then.
Tahr developer is 666philb right? If he sends me his username/ip info I can see if I still have my op priviledges there and unban him. (Edit: It seems that I don't have them anymore either.)

EDIT: Also, come join the channel, if noone answers immediatly just leave your chat client on and check from times to times. Everyone can help if he/she knows something about puppy, even if you're just ordinary user.

EDIT 2: I see some bans from kloeri and ikonia
If I remember correctly kloeri is one of freenode ops in general. So he doesn't need to be given op status in specific channel but he can still ban. ikonia might be too. They lurk in channels just for moderation purposes and they usually keep logs from them.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

tlchost

#14 Post by tlchost »

dejan555 wrote: Tahr developer is 666philb right? If he sends me his username/ip info I can see if I still have my op priviledges there and unban him. (Edit: It seems that I don't have them anymore either.)
tep...you were and op....guess they took that away from you.

EDIT 2: I see some bans from kloeri and ikonia
If I remember correctly kloeri is one of freenode ops in general. So he doesn't need to be given op status in specific channel but he can still ban. ikonia might be too. They lurk in channels just for moderation purposes and they usually keep logs from them.
you are correct about kloeri...freenode staff, The other nick is the new, non-puppy user Chanop...i don't think he's a freenode staff member...but threatens users as if he was one.

There is a new IRC channel for Puppy Users....it's work in progress
#puppyos on freenode...it's brand new, and I welcome folks to come there, stay for a bit, say Hi to other users.

Oh, and by the way, you were one of the Raffle winners.

jlst

#15 Post by jlst »

Nice