A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

XenialDog with Deepin DE [CLOSED]

#1 Post by fredx181 »

*** XenialDog with Deepin DE ***

Thread Closed, see also here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 814#937814

===============================================
Edit 2016-12-22 There's a bug in the deepin session daemon (memory leak) resulting in very high RAM usage, sorry
See here and further:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 575#936575

Edit 2016-12-23 New ISO uploaded, fixed high memory usage caused by dde-session-daemon, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 761#936761
===============================================

Remastered from XenialDog Openbox version (see thread here)

Deepin Website

Deepin packages installed from PPA here

Kernel upgraded to 4.4.0-53-generic
All packages upgraded (apt-get upgrade)

Default WM - Deepin (only)
Default File Manager - pcmanfm with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox.

Added:
- Quick-remaster (works with porteus-boot only)
- Slim Login Manager

Minimum System requirement: 1GB of RAM, recommended 2GB or more.
Main "01-filesystem.squashfs" is compressed XZ
Tip: when installed frugally, use "Convert-SFS" to convert "01-filesystem.squashfs" to GZIP or LZ4, booting and running will be faster then, although filesize will be increased.
And:To disable composite (window effects), press Super+Tab (toggle composite on/off)

Login details:

puppy
with password puppy (default automatic login)
root with password root

Big Note: Automatic login as root doesn't work, problems are e.g. very high CPU usage, resulting in freeze of the system. Couldn't find a solution for that problem.
Logging in as root after automatic logged in as user puppy (at first) works fine though.
So when logged in as puppy (or any other regular user, can be created) you have to use sudo, e.g. sudo apt-get install .... for admin tasks.
There are some launchers for 'Filemanager SuperUser' and 'Terminal SuperUser' on the the Desktop and the bottom bar.
Use password puppy when prompted to get admin permissions
To change the password, in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo passwd puppy
And enter new password twice.

Many thanks to forum member belham2, for his inspiring post Here that made me curious in the first place about the Deepin DE.
The Deepin DE included here is a bit more simple (and taking less disk space) than the one from Sparky, I think.
And of course, thanks very much to all who were involved with creating DebianDog.

Edit 2016-12-23 New ISO uploaded, fixed high memory usage caused by dde-session-daemon, see also here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 761#936761
Previous ISO removed from Github
Download:
ISO:
XenialDog-Deepin-DE-2016-12-23-firmware-all.iso Size: 431 MB
Md5sum:
XenialDog-Deepin-DE-2016-12-23-firmware-all.md5

Fred

Screenshots:

Desktop

Move mouse pointer to upper right corner for control-center

Move mouse pointer to upper left corner for applications
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:30, edited 18 times in total.

fredx181

#2 Post by fredx181 »

reserved

ally

#3 Post by ally »

fredx181

#4 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks very much ally, WOW, you are fast!! :D

Fred

The Flying Cat

#5 Post by The Flying Cat »

I assume this is 32 bit)

Actually I was doing some research for Yakkety Red possible DE's (well XFCE panel + gvfs won) Deepin also was on the list, but Budgie DE - also budget GNOME 3 version - performed better for me. Budgie is new and availiable only on Yakkety but there is ppa for Xerus. Downside is you can't turn off composite... and Gnome's composite manager "mutter" is heavier than compton) So you actually need decent GPU. Although comparing back to back Budgie was much lighter/faster than actual Gnome3. Not sure what composite manager Deepin uses, might also be mutter. But Budgie claimed last week that they can reduce memory consumption to 200mb.
Here's article about Budgie http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/09/inst ... -on-ubuntu

For those who interested: you can install that fancy bottom panel, like on Deepin screenshots, from your distro via synaptic - search for "plank" or command "apt-get install plank". Launcher should be in the Accessories section of the menu. Preferences can be opened via Ctrl+RMB on the Plank. Uses like 20-30m of memory and ~5mb on install.

Anyway, maybe it's time to hop to 64 bit?) (and chrome)

Some time later: looks like Deepin uses both Gnome window managers "metacity" and "mutter". By default it installs metacity. Which is good - composite is still turned on by default (maybe), but it can be turned off via "dconf" gui or some config files somewhere) No idea how deepin-metacity functions but maybe turning off composite will help with cpu usage. But it also installs bits of mutter...
Default login as puppy without ability to autologin as root is also a Gnome thing, gdm3 functions similarly) On Gnome you remove gdm3 and install ldm and it will work as regular Dog) I'm having difficulties identifying what they used as display manager. But then again it's better to not log in as root:D
Overally, Deepin is pretty good nice DE which is based on Gnome, but made to be lighter. Gnome, and I believe Deepin also, has funny automatic wallpapers which changes during the day) Unfortunately local nautilus fork not yet supports google drive. As an alternative there is a Budgie DE, also based on Gnome3, also designed to minimal resource usage. But I still encourage to give Deepin a try) I really like Gnome, be it Deepin, Budgie or Pantheon)

fredx181

#6 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Flying Cat,

Thanks for the info!!

I haven't tried much such 'heavy' DE's, but this Deepin DE, I couldn't resist, tried also Budgie, but for me Deepin is more special.
Not sure what composite manager Deepin uses, might also be mutter.
Not sure what this says (looks like it's probably not metacity)

puppy@xenial:~$ wmctrl -m
Name: Mutter(DeepinGala)
Default login as puppy without ability to autologin as root is also a Gnome thing, gdm3 functions similarly) On Gnome you remove gdm3 and install ldm and it will work as regular Dog) I'm having difficulties identifying what they used as display manager.
There is ability on Deepin to autologin as root, but it's unusable like that (constant high CPU)

Btw, after more testing (logged in as puppy) there are also other problems for me, after 5-10 minutes the 'dde-session-daemon' process starts increasing memory usage to very high amount.
Not sure if it's the same bug as already reported before (memory leak):
https://github.com/martyr-deepin/arch-deepin/issues/162

Fred

Terry H

#7 Post by Terry H »

fredx181 wrote: Btw, after more testing (logged in as puppy) there are also other problems for me, after 5-10 minutes the 'dde-session-daemon' process starts increasing memory usage to very high amount.
Not sure if it's the same bug as already reported before (memory leak):
https://github.com/martyr-deepin/arch-deepin/issues/162

Fred
Hi Fred, frugal install on laptop, the memory without anything running kept increasing, after 17 minutes it was ~820 MB( of 4 GB).

I was interested in trying also after belham2's post in 'other distros'. It looks really nice and seems very snappy. If the memory issue can be sorted out it would make an excellent addition to the dog kennel.

The Flying Cat

#8 Post by The Flying Cat »

Yes, it is indeed memory leaking. And it does looks like connected to mentioned issue. I'm afraid only option here is to make report about it.

Well... It uses same winow manager as GNOME, not sure why they forked Pantheon version of mutter. But only thing I'm sure - you can't turn off composite:D Why they install metacity then? And Budgie uses same mutter as GNOME but overrides settings so it actually runs faster... Deepin could do the same. To be honest even GNOME's mutter is not very heavy (it even faster than KDE's window manager). By the way Pantheon also uses plank. Looks like Deepin is more like Pantheon clone than GNOME.

Attaching screenshot of GNOME I'm using. If you replace dash with plank and use extension to hide upper panel it will look same:)
Attachments
Screen.jpg
(243.71 KiB) Downloaded 607 times

fredx181

#9 Post by fredx181 »

Terry H wrote:Hi Fred, frugal install on laptop, the memory without anything running kept increasing, after 17 minutes it was ~820 MB( of 4 GB).
Yes, sorry, I should have discovered that earlier, it's a pity, such a nice desktop...

Not a real solution, but I've found a workaround to limit the RAM usage of dde-session-daemon, can you (or anyone) test?

Attached: reset-dde-session.tar.gz
In terminal from where extracted run:

./reset-dde-session
(do not run as root, just as puppy, there's sudo lines in script, so will be prompt for password)

It's possible to make this automatic start at boot but it requires some more tweaking, e.g. by adding a NOPASWD entry in /etc/sudoers, it works for me, but before I share let's first test how it goes manually (requires to run manually at every boot/login)

EDIT:
Whoops.. the script reset-dde-session works only for some amount of time, the pid of dde-session-daemon changes everytime, so... will try to find other solution by checking for the pid (all the time), attachment removed.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 23:53, edited 2 times in total.

dancytron

#10 Post by dancytron »

Kind of offtopic, (Okay totally offtopic, but I didn't know where else to put it where I knew Fred would see it).

The Raspberry Pi folks just released a beta of the Desktop OS for x86. I downloaded it and it is a Jessie Live ISO. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac/ I took their filesystem.squashfs and swapped it into a DD 32 install folder and it booted right up. Of course the persistence didn't work, but I assume it easily could.

It is LXDE based. It is very simple and child like (which figures since that is the target audience). I could see it being good for kids or computer first timers.

It is beyond my ability, but I bet it would be pretty popular if you Debian Dogified it.

backi

#11 Post by backi »

Hi !
Gave Deb-Dog-Deepin a try .
Can not make it (Deepin Desktop ) work on my old Toshiba 3000 Satellite ( 1 gig ram ).
Openbox-session does ......Deepin desktop does not ......no chance .

fredx181

#12 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, Flying Cat,
Openbox-session does ......Deepin desktop does not ......no chance .
@backi
Thanks, that's a pity, -just curious- ... what exactly didn't work?
Didn't it boot to the desktop at all or system freeze or what?
I have 2GB of RAM and works nicely (apart from the memory leak bug of dde-session-daemon, that should be fixed, found a workaround for that already that I'll share very soon)

@Flying Cat
But only thing I'm sure - you can't turn off composite:D Why they install metacity then?
You can disable composite (just found out) with keyboard shortcut: Super+Tab (toggle on/off) , then it uses metacity and this choice will be remembered at reboot.

puppy@xenial:~$ wmctrl -m 
Name: Metacity
Class: N/A
PID: N/A
Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: OFF
Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#13 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:The Raspberry Pi folks just released a beta of the Desktop OS for x86. I downloaded it and it is a Jessie Live ISO. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac/
Thanks, at the moment I'm busy to solve problems for Deepin, will try later.
it would be pretty popular if you Debian Dogified it.
I noticed that the size of the ISO is 1.3G, what do you mean with "Debian Dogified" ?, make it smaller ? or add DD special boot options maybe ?

Fred

backi

#14 Post by backi »

Does not freeze ....just boots into Openbox-Session not into Deepin .
Fred .....what i want to ask ......does Deb-Dog-Deepin boot into Deepin DE by default or into Openbox-session ?
Tried ...... startx dde-session .......but no result .....just jumped back to Openbox.

Maybe had a bad Download ?? Should try again ....

fredx181

#15 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi,
Does not freeze ....just boots into Openbox-Session not into Deepin
That's strange because openbox is not included in XD Deepin, and yes, it should boot by default to Deepin.
Are you using savefile or savefolder from other Xenialdog maybe? there must be some interference ,maybe try to just start clean, without any existing save storage.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

Re; High memory usage - memory leak - dde-session-daemon

#16 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Everyone,

For those who were disappointed about the extreme high memory usage (increased shortly after boot) , caused by the "dde-session-daemon" process, here's a fix:
Or call it a workaround, the best fix would be of course a recompile with patches for the dde-daemon binaries, but that's beyond my capability.

Upgrade the dde-daemon package by using Synaptic (click "Reload" first) or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install dde-daemon     # installs higher version 1:3.0.16-1 from custom XD repo
Included in the new package: initscript (in/etc/init.d) which calls the script /usr/local/bin/ddesessd-limitmem that controls memory usage of the "dde-session-daemon" process.

I tested on a machine with 2GB of RAM and works fine, not sure how it works with higher or lower amount of RAM, please anyone test ?? and let me know.

Edit 2016-12-23, After a lot more testing I'm pretty confident that this fix is solid
New ISO uploaded, fixed high memory usage caused by dde-session-daemon

Previous ISO removed from Github
Download:
ISO:
XenialDog-Deepin-DE-2016-12-23-firmware-all.iso Size: 431 MB
Md5sum:
XenialDog-Deepin-DE-2016-12-23-firmware-all.md5

Fred

backi

#17 Post by backi »

You are right fred ........got it working .

Has a bit slow responsiveness .... or depend this behavior on compiz effects ........ if ...how to disable ?
Will play with it a bit.

Cheers !

fredx181

#18 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:You are right fred ........got it working .

Okay! what went wrong earlier then?
Has a bit slow responsiveness .... or depend this behavior on compiz effects ........ if ...how to disable ?
Yes it's rather heavy, certainly compared to other dogs :wink:
And 1GB of RAM is not much, make sure to have swap enabled.
To toggle on/off compiz, press Super+Tab

Fred

backi

#19 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
What went wrong ?...........
I added one line in Boot Menu.lst ............
"find --set-root /DEEPIN/casper/vmlinuz
kernel /DEEPIN/casper/vmlinuz from=/DEEPIN noauto changes=EXIT:/DEEPIN/casper/"
Before it was
" kernel /DEEPIN/casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto changes=EXIT:/DEEPIN/casper/"

I think that "from=/DEEPIN" did the job .

:idea: Merry Christmas :idea:

Me .....not so happy/merry with Terror Attack in Berlin :cry: :cry: :cry:

fredx181

#20 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Me .....not so happy/merry with Terror Attack in Berlin Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Terrible... anyway best wishes to you backi !!! :)