XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#301 Post by backi »

Hi fred !

Could not manage to open and handle conkyconfigs.tar.gz

What`s am i doing wrong ?

Semme

#302 Post by Semme »

You mean they wouldn't extract or you can't *see* them?

Remember they've got a hidden dot extension. :wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

backi

#303 Post by backi »

Thanks semme ....thats right ......those hidden dots.....

Semme

#304 Post by Semme »

:D Fooled me @ first too!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

backi

#305 Post by backi »

Replaced the old .conkys with the new .conkys.........

now Conky looks more the old fashioned way .

(means instead showing 120 Megabyte of Ram or so idle....it only shows 80 Megabyte Ram or so idle .)
Indeed there is some discrepancy to Htop .

But of course this is not a question of Live or Death .

The Flying Cat

#306 Post by The Flying Cat »

Hello, Fred:)

About logging in as puppy in Yakkety - I'm actually having opposite difficultiues on Gnome:D I cannot log in as root by default (with gdm3). But I can log in only as puppy no problem. But it always was like that in gnome. Anyway I will apply your suggestions upon next week update)

And modified conky. I'll leave new conky (the one with new memory calculation methods) - It's very useful with 'ramsize=100%' (or 90%) boot option.
I think there is still some confusion going on about new memory calculation methods. Don't have time so here's short version: new methods calculates actual physical ram usage, that means software loaded by OS and TMPFS. I.e. you download 400mb file, then your ram usage bumps by 400mb, you delete file then ram usage lowers exactly by 400mb, tmpfs bar lags a bit so it will updates few sec later.
Please check attached picture. I'm using micro conky setup - white bar is RAM, blue bar is TMPFS, and XFCE task manager shows only memory used by software (akin top).
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-11-23 13-50-24.png
(158.28 KiB) Downloaded 1276 times
Last edited by The Flying Cat on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#307 Post by backi »

Hi !Flying Cat.
I think there is still some confusion going on about new memory calculation methods. Don't have time so here's short version: new methods calculates actual phisical ram usage, that means software loaded by OS and TMPFS. I.e. you download 400mb file, then your ram usage bumps by 400mb, you delete file then ram usage lowers exactly by 400mb, tmpfs bar lags a bit so it will updates few sec later.
This way new Htop does also work ...........brings some light into this confusing Topic .....

The Flying Cat

#308 Post by The Flying Cat »

Oh, so 'xserver-xorg-legacy' is only for blue (custom kenel) version, I see)
Was in a bit of a confusion - indeed blue as it stands now will not log in as puppy, red works np. Still concerned about blue update, since 'udev error' should pop out. Which is fixable by upgrading kernel, but upgrading kernel might break system boot on some hardware...
Probably lock 'udev' from upgrading:D

fredx181

#309 Post by fredx181 »

The Flying Cat wrote:new methods calculates actual physical ram usage, that means software loaded by OS and TMPFS. I.e. you download 400mb file, then your ram usage bumps by 400mb, you delete file then ram usage lowers exactly by 400mb, tmpfs bar lags a bit so it will updates few sec later
Well... what the... ,why didn't I realize before it's like that (banging my head...%$#) Thanks! :)

From what I just tested this goes only when using the porteus-boot EXIT: option, wihout it there is still a difference between the htop and top/free memory display, but not that crazy much as it can grow when booted with the EXIT: option.(changes in tmpfs)
(installing software, downloading stuff, firefox cache etc. all increase the memory amount displayed!!)
Oh, so 'xserver-xorg-legacy' is only for blue (custom kenel) version, I see)
Yes, I guess so , tried only the blue.
The problem is on newer systems like Yaketty and also Debian Stretch/Sid when trying to login from console and using startx (permission denied), installing a login manager probably will solve it also (slim will let you login as root btw).
The fix I found works, but there might be also other solution I don't know of.

EDIT: a fix for the udev error might be reinstalling initramfs-tools:

Code: Select all

apt-get install initramfs-tools --reinstall
I must admit I can't exactly explain why and what caused the udev problem, it has to do with some conflict between the (older) casper package from custom repository (older one because of compatibility with aufs) and initramfs-tools.
Maybe it needs included in the upgrade-kernel script that it removes the casper package at the end, not sure yet.

Fred

fredx181

#310 Post by fredx181 »

Bugfix for "upgrade-kernel" package: new version 1.0.1 (see also above post)
Changes:
- bugfix 2016-11-25 make backup of /usr/sbin/update-initramfs (and restore later) instead previously create symlink to /usr/share/casper/casper-update-initramfs
- and improved checking for to which kernel version just upgraded

Previous version (1.0.0) can break the dpkg database for Xenialdog or Yakketydog, if that already happened (if you get error when installing or upgrading packages), it can be fixed by:

apt-get install initramfs-tools --reinstall
Install with synaptic or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install upgrade-kernel # installs new v1.0.1
Fred

The Flying Cat

#311 Post by The Flying Cat »

Yakkety updated! click flag on bottom to change language.
https://yadi.sk/d/VrfwGIPozqFfU 301,6MB

Proper changelog:) Previous version here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 369#931369
bugfixes
- imported old /etc/mke2fs.conf # fixes gparted issues http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 680#932680
- rox-pinboard background http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 577#931577
improvements
- 'software & updates' removed
- compton config (blur disabled) - panel blur can be enabled in /root/.config/compton.conf line 124 'blur-background = false;' set to 'true'
- added read/write indicators to conky
- added ".conky-notmpfs.tar.gz" as an alternative
- UI changes/fixes here and there
new
- lxtask
- font symbola - emoji, various symbols (1.5mb)
- dxtn library - kinda sorta required for pretty much everything open gl, mesa related but not listed as dependancy (<0.5m)
- testdisk + launcher - undelete and bootfixer (~1mb)
- scrot swapped with gnome-screenshot (however menus still linked to scrot)
- everything upgraded

All UI changes are not reflected to 'puppy' user/folder this is by design (used as backup) for now, if you want same changes applied to puppy then copy under root content of root folder to /home/puppy folder.

How to disable compton: press blue gear (compton toggle) on the panel, then remove 'comton' script from 'Startup' folder.

Red specific:
- 4.8.0-28 kernel
- 'upgrade kernel' script for frugal installs - installs new kernel if there is any
- xfce4 panel and whiskers menu - 'win' binded to whiskers menu, yes you can press 'win' then type 'syn' and hit enter to open synaptic:) you also can drag-n-drop launchers from whiskers menu to panel. Shutdown buttons hidden on a small panel in bottom right corner - hover mouse to that corner to pop them out)
- gvfs-backends (40mb, 10mb compressed) - gives access to (smart)phones, cameras, tablet devices "This package contains the afc, afp, archive, cdda, dav, dnssd, ftp, gphoto2, http, mtp, network, sftp, smb and smb-browse backends." This package also goes as dependancy for most DE) mate for example

After booting up it uses ~150mb of memory with compton on and ~140 with compton off.
systemd-analyze blame: (top 4 startup slowdowns)
5.786s frisbee.service
3.638s dev-sdb2.device
3.475s dev-loop0.device
2.678s loadcpufreq.service
systemd-analyze time: Startup finished in 6.260s (kernel) + 10.022s (userspace) = 16.283s
Attachments
S1.jpg
(125.58 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Last edited by The Flying Cat on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 13:33, edited 5 times in total.

The Flying Cat

#312 Post by The Flying Cat »

blue https://yadi.sk/d/nnrEpXiSzytqG 286,4MB

changelog identical to red with following blue specific stuff:
- kernel 4.7.0-8.1-liquorix - due to odd bug in 4.8 kernel leading to super slow boot on some hardware, custom 4.7 kernel was used
- installed 'xserver-xorg-legacy' http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 158#933158 - this allows to log in as puppy on a custom kernels

After booting up it uses ~110mb of memory with compton on and ~100 with compton off.
systemd-analyze blame: (top 4 startup slowdowns)
5.584s frisbee.service
2.002s dev-sda2.device
2.001s dev-loop0.device
1.375s alsa-restore.service
systemd-analyze time: Startup finished in 5.422s (kernel) + 8.391s (userspace) = 13.814s
Attachments
S2.jpg
(144.64 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Last edited by The Flying Cat on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 13:27, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#313 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Flying Cat !

The Red version still has for me the extreme long boot time (due to kernel 4.8 and my (old) hardware, of course)
Hopefully they fix that for the LTS 4.9 kernel.

Added Edit on the first post with links to your last posts.

Fred

The Flying Cat

#314 Post by The Flying Cat »

Want to share my GNOME experiences)

This is not absolute minimal GNOME install but it is somewhat smaller than gnome-core. There is a huge command line in the file. I think you can trim it to be even smaller. This pulls about ~400mb.

It does not installs Evolution so you can't sync GNOME with your Google account (supported mail, calendar, contacts and gooogle drive - kinda sorta like Android). You can install it manually if interested:)

Oh, forgot: use "exec gnome-session" to start gnome:) And attaching screenshots. I'm aware that there may be issues with pulseaudio - it's fixable - and custom menu extension (like for wmpoweroff and wmreboot commands) - also no problem. No time to write faq lol

PS. If your hardware pulls off GNOME recommend also try KDE! Very pretty and flexible desktop)

PPS. there are only one "close" button on windows DansGame! Go to Tweak Tool section "Windows" PogChamp
Attachments
FigA.jpg
Press &quot;Win&quot; type &quot;tweak&quot; select Tweak Tool install and manage various extensions)) Recommend &quot;Dash to Dock&quot; and &quot;Top Icons Plus&quot;. There are other stuff on site.
(199.63 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Screen3.jpg
Activities overview: bump mouse cursor to top left corner or press &quot;Win&quot;
(229.69 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Screen2.jpg
App overview: press app button on dash panel or Win+A
(216.34 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
Screen1.jpg
Info panel show off: Google calendar sync and notification field (which is empty at the moment)
(209.48 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
gnome minimal.tar.gz
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

Pelo

photivo for Xenial dog

#315 Post by Pelo »

photivo for Xenial dog. Does any XenialDog user tried photivo yet ? i would need some help because app is all english spoken.
"First you need to install all the needed tools for the build environment and the development packages for the libraries that Photivo uses. Please use reasonably new packages. My tests are always on a current Ubuntu system. The package names below are ubuntu-style but should be the same or very similar for other distributions. You need to install the following tools: " that is for linux experts to compile. Did anybody compile photivo for Puppy or Xenialdog ?
Attachments
photivo.jpg
Screenshot from photivo official site
(20.88 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

dancytron

#316 Post by dancytron »

Pelo,

Try the instructions here. https://www.flickr.com/groups/photivo/d ... 170578959/

Someone has already compiled it and put in it's own repository. Just add to the sources.lst file and install like anything else.

Pelo

wireless is easier with Xenialdog.

#317 Post by Pelo »

Merci. I run my Xenialdog Pendrive to day, jan1, 2017 because my puppies hardly keep connected to Wreless (very weak since Christma) Wicd gets slow but permanent connection. As an user i must feed back when Xenialdog has better Results than Puppy Linux. It's not usual, but wireless is easier with Xenialdog.
I have a lot of christmas pictures to edit and post to diaries. And family, and friends.
Attachments
LesBidasses.jpg
GCstr : no need of devx, chouette
(64.11 KiB) Downloaded 3454 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 08 Feb 2017, 05:34, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

etc/apt does not exist in structure

#318 Post by Pelo »

photivo : ' add to /etc/apt/sources.list
or add with your favorite graphic tool like f.i synaptic'
deb http:slash slashppa.launchpad.net/dhor/myway/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http:slash slashppa.launchpad.net/dhor/myway/ubuntu lucid main

:( etc/apt does not exist in structure
Attachments
Soldat Louis.jpg
Gramps installed sucessfully with Synaptic (ancestries)
(66.6 KiB) Downloaded 4060 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 07:45, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Lazpaint : pet was transformed into SFS by the system.

#319 Post by Pelo »

Lazpaint (Base on Lazarus, for information for linuxians devs) installed without trouble in XenialDog, pet was transformed into SFS by the system.
Lazpaint will easily get 3D without loosing quality.
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#320 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo, try this in terminal for photivo:

echo -e "\ndeb http://ppa.launchpad.net/dhor/myway/ubuntu xenial main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list   # add the ppa to package listing
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 93330B78   # add key to the keyring
apt-get update   # update the package lists
apt-get install photivo
Happy New Year Everyone !!! :)

Fred