UK parliament rubberstamps mass surveillance law

For discussions about security.
labbe5

UK parliament rubberstamps mass surveillance law

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/17/uk-pa ... lance-law/

Another chapter to the unending story of loss of privacy in this digital age.

I am making a bet that typewriters will make a comeback to bypass digital mass surveillance, and snail mail will proved to be popular with spies, since even encryption will not be 100% trustworthy, in the event companies are forced by law to provide decryption keys.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

I don't think I have anything to hide, but I am afraid, very, very afraid.

I have personal experience of the misuse of investorary powers by the Department of Health and Social Security who hounded me for three months before the person responsible was investigated and disciplined.
That is an old story for me but I rather suspect it is going to become very common and widespread now that even the checks that were supposed to be in place are no longer there.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

version2013

#3 Post by version2013 »

souleau

#4 Post by souleau »

The future of the Internet, as I see it now, is in wireless mesh networking. Stuff like this:

https://villagetelco.org/

Low cost solutions where local communities decide for themselves how 'wide' or 'open' or 'free' their network is.

I don't think Internet as such will dissappear, but maybe it will have to play second fiddle to locally sourced networks.

belham2

#5 Post by belham2 »

We humans are a curious bunch: I cannot think of one thing in the history of humanity where we did not rush headfirst and headlong into an invention/development/technology/etc/etc, only to a relatively short time later to stop ourselves and go: "oh, sh#t, wait, exactly what are we attempting to do here..??" Even studying prehistoric societies, we see numerous examples of this.

When the Internet got up & off the floor in the early 70s, there wasn't a one of us who was thinking in terms of 'user privacy" and/or 'security'. None of us could see where it was heading, and what one day people would be doing with it and/or what would be placed online. I'm still agog that we waited nearly a decade after Ray sent that first email before a few of the original gang stood up and went "oh, sh#t, hold on, what exactly did we unleash here...?"

Also reminds me of reading the history of automobiles & when they really first got going (Benz's 3 wheeled vehicle in 1885, marrying the internal combustion engine with a carriage) and they all laughed (Germany,Italy, France, UK and America) for nearly a decade about "chassis integrity" and "driver safety". Then, suddenly, someone went "Oh sh#t.." and well, it was too late, Henry Ford started rolling so many off the lines and his famous quote with the gist of 'don't wreck if you don't want to get hurt.....oh boy, good heavens :roll:

Lol, we humans are a curious bunch indeed :P :lol:

P.S. I do believe our grandchildren and their children will lick the 'security' problem. Looking at what is coming on the horizon, it will be achievable. But I am not sure we can ever turn, for this generation, the clock back in terms of 'privacy'. The genie has been let out of the bag, and there's no real way to put it back in, short of developing a whole new method by humanity to identify individuals not using the data points we always have (gov't issued numbers, names, birth dates, gender, email, phone numbers, etc, etc...). This is going to be a tougher nut to crack, and solving it will cause nothing less than humanity to completely change how we think in terms of how we identify ourselves