Puppy on Mac Pro 1,1 - with windows 7 HDD

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Lotic

Puppy on Mac Pro 1,1 - with windows 7 HDD

#1 Post by Lotic »

Here's my story;
I had an acer netbook from 2012 w/ windows 7 home premium, it finally died a year ago. I took the hdd out and popped it into an old lenovo thinkpad t400. It operates perfectly, but windows says it isn't genuine - not a problem for me.
I wanted to experiment with some different OS's so I downloaded/installed Puppy onto this hdd in the t400. I used the LICK 1.1.0 to install Slacko Puppy 6.3.0 and Lucid Puppy 528.005. Both worked ok in the t400, but slacko worked with all my hardware and it functioned well with no need to change/update anything.

I got bored and took this HDD out of the t400 and just popped it into my Mac Pro 1,1 2006 .... I turned it on, and it offered to run windows 7 or puppy.
I tried windows 7, but it would crash after windows emblem.
I tried Lucid Puppy, no go.

However - Slacko 6.3.0 booted perfectly and worked very well on the Mac Pro 1,1 2006 (3.0 quad, 16gb ram, 256mb stock video) !

Being a complete amateur to Linux and Macs, and seeing no similar results via Google ... I thought this may be useful info for the community.
I really appreciate having a simple and fast ram-based OS, so 1000 thanks to the community that created it.

I was amazed I didn't have to modify any files or anything![/u]