puppy Tahrpup 6.0.5 does run netgear WNDA3100 V2 usb wifi.

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mikepuppy

puppy Tahrpup 6.0.5 does run netgear WNDA3100 V2 usb wifi.

#1 Post by mikepuppy »

lubuntu 16.10 did not install, got hung up on 'grub-pc' package.
went to Linux Mint 18.1 MATE, mate did install but would not see the netgear WNDA3100 V2 - With wine or the ndiswrapper.
next up puppy Tahrpup 6.0.5 , Tahrpup does see and operate the WNDA3100 V2 with the ndiswrapper but not using the 'N' standard so it's running the usb at 54mps instead of 280-300mps.

No help needed just providing info - FORUM "Hardware. What works, and doesn't, for you... ".

It seems / appear from what I have read that every time you want a new item/hardware you have to compile the kernel. the org in-charge of the kernel should.... address that. The end user does have to recompile Windows every time said user sticks a new piece of hardware onto Windows. What ever happened to modular programming, oop programming??

New to linux so please don't get worked up, am sure you know alot more than me, no doubt.

Why doesn't the Kernel org just develop a interface standard for hardware, and go shows like CES with said interface specs, or put them online.

Anyway puppy Tahrpup 6.0.5 does run netgear WNDA3100 V2 usb wifi; but not at 300mps.

spiritwild

#2 Post by spiritwild »

That sounds like something I was reading about in a Ubuntu discussion. Can't say it pertains to your particular equipment but something along the lines of FCC regulations and frequency channels.

None the less, I've never run a usb wifi. Chances are, you need to scroll through 1400 web references on google that point to driver linkss that lead to nowhere. .inf files that have to be installed by a another program that doesn't support your eqt at all. In some cases a catholic priest.

Hopefully someone will be of help. It's good to know what works and doesn't for future reference.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

In Tahrpup 6.0.5.
Run Menu->System->Pup-Sysinfo->Devices->USB devices->Complete

Find the info for your netgear WNDA3100.
Need to know what chip set it is using.
It is probably Broadcom, but Netgear uses several different ones.

Example:
Mine uses Atheros
ID = 0846:9030 NetGear, Inc. WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
USB Version = 2.00
Manufacturer =6 NETGEAR WNA
Product =2 WNA1100

For full Linux support you may only need to get the needed firmware loaded into Tahrpup 6.0.5.
Tahrpup has a good amount of firmware, but not all that may be needed.

Ndiswrapper, as you have discovered, is a way to use Windows firmware.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)