Download Puppy into hdd and use as a "live cd"?

Booting, installing, newbie
Py

Download Puppy into hdd and use as a "live cd"?

#1 Post by Py »

Hi All.

I am new here, and to linux, and would like to have a go with Puppy.

I do not have a cd burner and am on dialup in New Zealand.

Can I download Puppy straight into the HDD somewhere and start it there as a live "cd" so to speak: and perhaps get into installing it later?

I only have 2 old computers:
466mhz 64mb 4gig hdd
166mhz 24mb 2gig hdd

I would prefer to run Puppy on the 166mhz machine if at all possible.

Advice appreciated.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Download Puppy into hdd and use as a "live cd"

#2 Post by Lobster »

Py wrote:Hi All.

I am new here, and to linux, and would like to have a go with Puppy.

I do not have a cd burner and am on dialup in New Zealand.

Can I download Puppy straight into the HDD somewhere and start it there as a live "cd" so to speak: and perhaps get into installing it later?

I only have 2 old computers:
466mhz 64mb 4gig hdd
166mhz 24mb 2gig hdd

I would prefer to run Puppy on the 166mhz machine if at all possible.

Advice appreciated.
No Puppy is not suitable for 24meg (you will be dissapointed) I think DSL (Damn Small Linux) would be more appropriate. However a NEW console Puppy MAY be on the horizon and so look out for that. Yes you might get it running (perhaps someone who is using such a system can voice their experience)

There is a way of installing straight from dial up. Maybe someone will search (note search button) for you - there may even be a link on the wiki.

:)

If you wish to take the Puppy route then use barebones and the 466mhz 64mb 4gig hdd

Is there a possibility of you burning on another machine or purchasing a CD from Barry or maybe someone in NZ will do it for you and send it?

I would urge you to use the better machine for Puppy - she is worth it
(paws up all those who thought Puppy was only a he?)

good luck
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

I would agree with Lobster about using Puppy on the faster computer. Do you have any other operating systems on those computers? Puppy can be installed without a CD burner or even a CD drive if you have another OS or boot loader to boot from. For instance if you have Windows 98 you could use this. If you have another Linux OS than you could download the Puppy iso, extract the files and copy them to a separate vfat partition like is mentioned here. Then configure Grub or Lilo to boot to it.

raffy

Start from Scratch?

#4 Post by raffy »

Looks like you can start from scratch and repartition the whole hard disk, or just resize the old partition to give way to a puppy partition and swap partition. Check out the link below.

You will need a swap partition so you can use Puppy1.04 standard (or even Chubby Puppy if you won't mind the short wait when loading OpenOffice). GEE, PUPPY USERS ARE SPOILED BY SPEED, so a few seconds of waiting makes them apologetic :)

If your 466 is Pentium II, then that is _not slow_ for Puppy. Just make sure you format your swap file and activate it. Check the MUT utility after you have prepared the swap file. Seeing there "Swap off" means that it is already turned on.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Py

#5 Post by Py »

Thank you All for the great responses and pms. Currently it appears that I am experiencing information overload and am finding it difficult to say anything intelligent :roll:. At this stage just wanted to come here and tell you all that your efforts are appreciated.