Dual Monitor Setup (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
LazY Puppy

Dual Monitor Setup (Solved)

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

I have a graphics card with two different connectors for the monitor. I think one is the old so-called VGA and the other one is the new so-called DMI (?) connector (VGA/DMI adapter already existing).

On Monday I'll get a second monitor similar to the one I already got in use. So I'm thinking about either to get rid of the old RCT monitor and using the new one on that machine or using the new monitor as second monitor on my main machine.

Is such graphics card ready for the use of two monitors ?
Will two monitors work without specific drivers for the graphics card ?
Could this being achieved by running PUPMODE=5 generally ?

Thanks
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

Hi lazy,
When I built my PC, I bought Intel DH61BF motherboard.
It has 2 video output sockets, one older VGA and another DVI-D.
I fitted my LCD panel to DVI port.

After few days a friend gave me his old 17" CRT monitor.
I hooked it up to VGA port.

And it just works.

I do not have separate Graphics Card, my Intel i3 gives the onboard graphics.

One thing though, the DVI is shown as HDMI in xrandr command.

But it works without any upgraded graphics driver.

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

Thanks, drunkjedi.

This sounds good, so I'm looking forward to Monday afternoon getting the 2nd monitor. :D
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

I had two monitors going in puppy through nvidia.

The difficult part was setting up the resolution in the "Silo"(china POS) branded flat panel. It was not providing EDID to xorg.

Makes doing two completely seperate windows easy. It did not offer seperate JWM windows, just either one big connected screen or two seperate same screens.

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

So, I got two monitors on the machine now, but the result is two screens with equal content like the JWM menu and the desktop icons plus one mouse pointer per screen.

That's not what I intended to use nor what I want in general.

How to setup to have 'one big connected screen' ?
RSH

smokey01

#6 Post by smokey01 »

perdido

#7 Post by perdido »

I have a Nvidia card and do that using the Nvidia X Server Settings.

Start Nvidia X Server Settings from JWM Menu (mine is in Setup)

Set up the two monitors as
X screen 0
X screen 1

Drag the monitors into position (X screen 0 and X screen 1

Then put a check in the box "Xinerama"
(You will not see the Xinerama until you have two monitors setup as X screen 0 and X screen 1)

Save the configuration to xorg.conf

Restart X or reboot.

Then I have two monitors as one screen.

If you have Nvidia and would like a more detailed explanation just ask.

Billtoo

#8 Post by Billtoo »

LazY Puppy wrote:So, I got two monitors on the machine now, but the result is two screens with equal content like the JWM menu and the desktop icons plus one mouse pointer per screen.

That's not what I intended to use nor what I want in general.

Hi,

Tahrpup has arandr in PPM and it works well.
Attachments
arandr.jpg
(67.47 KiB) Downloaded 2147 times

LazY Puppy

#9 Post by LazY Puppy »

perdido wrote:I have a Nvidia card and do that using the Nvidia X Server Settings.
The graphics card of both my machines is ati radeon. No related menu entry in tahr 6.0.2 found. No save file generally, so reboot would kill everything until I make it persistent by my T.O.P.L.E.S.S. config files.
Tahrpup has arandr in PPM and it works well.
May give this a try some later.
Great!

Thanks!

The little script by gyro (a few posts down starting from the link)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto --output VGA1 --auto --right-of HDMI1
does the job quite perfect.

I just had to modify the output parameters as for my ati graphics card, so it looks like:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --right-of DVI-0
Works from /root/Startup without to have any additional drivers installed or anything else modified. Works also by just clicking the script in rox.

Interesting thing is: I can set the width of the JWM tray to 2560, so it is stretched over both monitors (menu is left-down corner on monitor 1, clock is right-down corner on monitor 2). Screenshot returns from both monitors as one wide image. Pretty cool.

Now marked as 'solved'.

Thanks for all the replies and help offered! :D
RSH

LazY Puppy

#10 Post by LazY Puppy »

Another thing related to the dual monitor setup.

The graphics cards in use have also s-video connector slots.

Does that mean it could be possible to use three monitors as one big screen?

What kind of monitors could be connected to the s-video connector slot?
RSH

LazY Puppy

#11 Post by LazY Puppy »

Found another interesting thing after examining xrandr --help.

After using

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --right-of DVI-0
to have two monitors as one big screen I found it a bit uncomfortable in some actions of computer work.

Let's see:

My desk is a 90 degree workplace. When I'm sitting in front of the corner I got the computer keyboard and the mouse at my right hand. On the left hand there's the Yamaha SY22 Synthesizer.

So when I'm playing the synthesizer it's pretty comfortable to have the main monitor standing in the corner and the second monitor directly in front of the computer keyboard. That way I don't need to turn my head too much to the right direction to look at the main monitor while playing the synthesizer.

Though after recording, when returning to the computer keyboard and mouse to do manually edits and cuts etc.pp. I need to have my head constantly turned to the left to look at the main monitor - which then usually contains e.g. the Rosegarden main window. It's pretty uncomfortable.

So I thought about how to reset both monitors to identical content, that I can look directly to the second monitor in front of the computer keyboard. No need to turn my head then.

After examining xrandr --help option/parameter --same-as seems to be what's needed.

So I just modified again the small script by gyro:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto --output VGA-0 --auto --same-as DVI-0
Resets both monitors to identical content. Works fine so far!
RSH