Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 25 Sep 2017, 16:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Raspberry Pi 3: audio troubleshooting tip
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
prehistoric

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan 2017, 14:33    Post subject:  Raspberry Pi 3: audio troubleshooting tip
Subject description: when not to blame Puppy

Just yesterday my new Raspberry Pi 3 model B arrived, and I was eager to show this to others, as soon as I confirmed that it would boot Qirky Xerus 8.1.4 from a microSD card previously prepared for this.

People have reported audio problems, but this isn't always the fault of the R PI or software.

First tip: the HP 25vx monitor has no internal speakers, so don't expect it to produce sound via HDMI.

Second tip: even if a monitor has speakers, and you are using HDMI, if it goes through an HDMI to DVI adapter there may be no audio signal. When someone hands you one end of an HDMI cable to connect to your demonstration machine, check what is on the other end.

Third tip: the Raspberry Pi 3 has a combined audio/composite video output with a 4-pole connector, but you don't always need an expensive cable. If you only need analogue audio, an ordinary 3.5 mm. stereo cable will work. It will short the composite video output to ground but this will not cause your R Pi to smoke.

General advice: never try to demo anything you have not tested in the configuration available for the demo.
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2017, 23:20    Post subject:  

The cable for Microsofts poor attempt at a ipod called Zune, is correct for all outputs with that plug. Why short out video? Have one from Amazon and hooked it up to pico projector with composite video input and stereo jacks. Nice to have a cheap backup for hdmi and the video playback is like old school video games ( I.E. not great)
I think I still have an old Amiga Commodore composite CRT in storage, had a great picture back in the days of old.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: