Wine installed by quickpet, now how do I use it?

Booting, installing, newbie
jeffneedle

Wine installed by quickpet, now how do I use it?

#1 Post by jeffneedle »

Jeffrey Needle here again. I seem to have a brain fart. I've used quickpet to install Wine. It seems to be installed. I put a CD into my drive and try to run setup.exe to install a Windows app. Clicking on the setup does nothing. How do I get this to open? Perhaps the right-click then Open With prompt. Do I enter something here? I tried typing "Wine" but nothing happens. Thanks.

mikeslr

Maybe

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jeffneedle,

As I use portable-wine --see here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 255#882255-- I'm not certain what you have to do to get the "regular" version of wine, installed via quick pet, to begin to function. But my guess is that you first have to configure it. One of wine's builtin commands is winecfg. Code to enter into a terminal would be:

wine winecfg

However, if memory serves, when I did use the "regular" wine, trying to run any other "builtin" wine application automatically triggered winecfg. So, for that reason -- or just to make it more convenient to manage programs under wine-- you might want to install one of the menu pets mentioned and linked to on the thread I mentioned. The attached screenshot shows the included desktop files in version2013's pet. Puppies --all Linuxes of which I'm aware-- use desktop files to create menu entries.

The above thread also provides instructions on how to create your own menu entries of just the wine builtin programs you want; or, using version2013's pet, remove the menu entries you don't want (which is easier to do).

mikesLr
Attachments
Wine desktop files.png
Desktop files included in Version2013's pet
(9.63 KiB) Downloaded 430 times

jeffneedle

#3 Post by jeffneedle »

Many thanks! I'll give it a go.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Jeff.

Mike is indeed right. You must configure WINE first, by clicking on 'winecfg' (either in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin; it can be in either of these).....because until you do, the 'hidden' WINE directory in /root, from where WINE functions, won't even exist.

So; until /root/.wine does exist, WINE has nowhere to install Windoze programs & apps to......

Hope that clarifies things a wee bit..! Just out of curiosity, which Pup are you running here? It'll help to know, since some Pups use an alternative method of starting WINE installation of Windows apps than others, due to the different DEs (Desktop Environments) and file managers in use.

You may also find it helps to look through the WINE program database. WINE execution of M$ software is somewhat hit & miss; not all apps will run under a given version of WINE.....and something that ran fine under one version may refuse to do so under the next...

https://appdb.winehq.org/

It can save a lot of wasted time and frustration to check through the database first, in order to see what other people's experiences of specific applications have yielded.

Mike. :wink:

jeffneedle

#5 Post by jeffneedle »

Hi. Thanks so much for the response. I'm using Tahr 6.0.5. I think that's the latest. I'll give the whole thing a go. Thanks again!

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Jeff.

Let us know how you get on, please. The other Mike and I both have considerable experience at running Windoze stuff under WINE, and will do our best to help out with queries if we can.

Good luck with it, anyway..!

jeffneedle

#7 Post by jeffneedle »

Of course I'll report back. Thanks again!

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Jeff.

Well, if you're on Tahrpup, you should find configuring WINE is very straight-forward. You'll have to install 'Mono' (the WINE version of the .NET Framework thingy), and also 'Gecko' (which enables HTML response.It's essentially the 'Gecko' engine from the FireFox browser, that's all) during WINE setup, but apart from that, once configured, you'll be able to install any Windoze prog/app simply by clicking on its .exe file.

You may find WineTricks to be of some use. It enables you to install many dlls and various other things that certain Windows apps may need in order to run (same as missing libs, etc., in Puppy). I'll link you to my MediaFire a/c, where I have copies of the necessary stuff for WineTricks to run:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4p8q0s ... icks_stuff

It comprises three things, which need to be installed in the right order. Zenity (which enables the WineTricks GUI); followed by CabExtract (which allows WineTricks to extract data from Window 'cabinet' files).....and finally, the WineTricks tool itself.

These must be installed in that order. I tracked down the necessary components for it ages ago, and have used it, quite successfully, for over 2 years now.

Hope that's of some use.

jeffneedle

#9 Post by jeffneedle »

All is well, I'm up and going. Thanks to all.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Jeff.

Glad to hear it. Nice one! Any other problems.....just ask.

Have fun.

jeffneedle

#11 Post by jeffneedle »

Shall do. Thanks again!