Gramps: genealogical research program

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Pelo

Gramps 3.4.1.1 Lucid 5.2.8 perfect !

#41 Post by Pelo »

Gramps 3.4.1.1 Lucid 5.2.8 perfect ! The same for Slacko 5.5.
Very nice product.
Nice too with Puppy : DataCrow collections
click here
Attachments
Monstres.jpg
Slegopen made in Hungaria runs Dracula family (Gramps)
(80.63 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

fplum

Launching Gramps

#42 Post by fplum »

First let me introduce myself. I am Forrest Plumstead. I have used Ubuntu off and on for years. (More off then on.) I have just started using Puppy because it is lighter, and doesn't slow my older computer down.

I have also used Gramps before but not very much. So please treat me as ignorant with both Puppy and Gramps. Speak slowly use one syllable words. Use the Idiots guide and 101 approach. Thank you.

Now my problem. I used Puppy Package Manager to download and install
Gramps. I said yes to all the dependencies, and libraries. I found Gramps under Utilities, but when I click on it nothing happens.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, HELP!?!

fplum

Launching Gramps

#43 Post by fplum »

Today I ran Check Dependencies installed package. I received this message: gnome-mime-data keyutils krb5 libcanberra libgnome-keyring missing dependencies.

slackfan

#44 Post by slackfan »

Hi

Until yet, to use Gramps I did restart my PC and use Ubuntu (actually 13.10) because I didn't know some SFS with Gramps for Puppy.

I did now discover in the last day that there is some one at the depository from RHS for its modulary system available for different Puplets (I am using the LazzYTHD_100 today because it starts on my PC without some Dialog directly in Xorg and works perfectly. it is enough for me!) and I did start gramps:

it works!

but

and it is not a Puppy question

how to make my data on Ubuntu usuable in Puppy in Gramps?

(if it is not possible, It make no sense to try to use gramps in Puppy as my genealogy is about ready in Ubuntu: I can and will not begin again! I will only add some lateral parents if I discover new data on the web).

kind regards

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 273#766273

slackfan

#45 Post by slackfan »

hm

it seems so, that it is perhaps necessary to start gramps in console mode to pass the name of the file. so the manpage of gramps if I do understand correctly.

but how to start a Python application out a LP2_xxx.sfs from console as it is not in the usual file system?

tallboy

#46 Post by tallboy »

slackfan wrote:how to make my data on Ubuntu usuable in Puppy in Gramps?
In puppy, Gramps makes a hidden directory /root/.gramps that contain all settings, preferences and data, upon first run.
If the Gramps in puppy containes no saved files, remove the hidden /root/.gramps directory in your puppy, and replace it with a copy of the .gramps in your /home/, or whatever they use, in Ubuntu. Always make a backup of that directory! If it is the first time you open a .gramps from an earlier version, Gramps will ask if it should convert it to the newer version (which cannot be opened by an older Gramps).

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Pelo

Gramps, lost data

#47 Post by Pelo »

Gramps, lost data. I Enjoy the previous post, tallboy, I lost my previous session. I am a new comer to Gramps.
Attachments
gramps.jpg
Genealogists use Gramps
(65.45 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Gramps, an genealogiy appli, not only !

#48 Post by Pelo »

Runs perfectly on all Puppies;
Oui answers all my questions here
oui
Attachments
Colonel.jpg
Find your glorious ancestries
(67.8 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

This topic should be the one here all topics gramps are link

#49 Post by Pelo »

This topic should be the one here all topics gramps are linked. In My Opinion.
SFS
Database of people Dead ... or Alive

Pelo

XenialDog and Antix provide Gramps using Synaptic

#50 Post by Pelo »

Gramps installed on my XenialDog (USB SmileyWorld) and Antix (USB Flash Voyager). Application downloaded with Synaptic with no trouble.
alternative genealogy appli for Puppy Linux
Beware data between Gramps versions are not fully interchangeable :!:

tallboy

#51 Post by tallboy »

Great work, Pelo!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Sylvander

#52 Post by Sylvander »

Is there a means of copying or transferring a familytree from Rootsmagic [installed in WinXP, and the Windows program run using Puppy->WINE] to a Gramps installed [or run using an SFS] in a Puppy?

Pelo

i would say 'yes, you can'.

#53 Post by Pelo »

I Dont't know, but i would say 'yes, you can'. Create a new tree, then import files.
What i am sure, you can import trees fulfilled with different Puppies or Linux OS. About Windows please feed back success or not.

davids45

Try a gedcom?

#54 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I think Roots Magic can export a text GEDCOM file of your basic genealogical data. Gedcoms can miss some program-particular details but I've found the essentials generally get copied.

So why not try the export from RM (say, to a USB thumb drive) and then import the gedcom file into Gramps from the same thumb drive?

I did this when trying Gramps - I use Legacy as my main genealogy program.

David S.

Pelo

Version Windows installed

#55 Post by Pelo »

Version Windows installed, fully intercheangeable with versions Linux.
Remember howerver ; a newer version will refuse gkpg from older Gramps.
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

tutorial clipboard

#56 Post by hamoudoudou »

tutorial clipboard very useful
"This is a good video for someone who got his hands on the program. I am starting new and honestly, I don't find it user friendly. I am going through documentation but still not that easy."
Attachments
Grampsclipboard2.jpg
training to it
(74.24 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

hamoudoudou

Dpup Stretch and Artfulpup : Gramps refused to run

#57 Post by hamoudoudou »

Dpup Stretch and Artfulpup : Gramps refused to run
Ok With OBPrecise - 15.01
Some applications are very popular, genealogy database is necessary for me.
:) solved with Artfulpup, python 2.6 was needed

mikeslr

Gramps 3.2.0-1.AppImage

#58 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Searching for Gramps applications, I found Gramps 3.2.0-1.AppImage here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/. This appears to be a 32-bit version, circa 2010. But it seems to be functional OOTB on Xenialpup64 with 32-bit libs loaded.

mikesLr

hamoudoudou

LP2_Gramps-3.4.1.sfs: 13 M

#59 Post by hamoudoudou »

LP2_Gramps-3.4.1.sfs: 13 M
provided by Lazy Puppy RSH does enough to spend time searching your origins.. Gramps is only the recording tool, the data base to fulfill. I have the chance to be born in the area where they destroyed all archives about christians.. Its very hard to go before 1789. And docs written with feathers are quite unserviceable for us.
No need to spend your time if nobody ask for new versions. Often new versions need libs that are not available . If RHS version does not work, just install the old Python. The older, not the newer.
I use an SFS done by ASRI Education including french translation. He dit it for students and even teachers when Puppy Precise 5.7.3 was installed in a dozen of schools in France.
Attachments
lettre.jpg
Henri IV letter. OCR would be useless.
(144.68 KiB) Downloaded 266 times