Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 07:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE experiment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 58 [858 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 05:16    Post subject: Re: Interim delta to LxPupSc-17.01.22R  

Marv wrote:
.... DO have to set the permissions on the /etc/init.d/crond to allow execution

Hi @Marv

cron comes from "pschedule" which is a selectable rootfs-package in woof-ce - i.e. a system builder can choose whether to include it or not, so it may not be in some builds....

the daemon crond is not activated by default (not everybody wants to run scheduled tasks) and the switch used to activate / deactivate it is the executable state of /etc/init.d/crond

It is activated (executable permission set) in the BootManager as you say but also in applications like Snap2 which does scheduled backups using cron - I think? crontab (also BusyBox) does this...

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 06:51    Post subject:  

Updated 13-jan-2017

Closely followed by interim delta for LxPupSc-17.01.24

due to kernel 4.9.3 and
big Slackware Current update Fri Jan 13 01:10:05 UTC 2017

Last edited by peebee on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 08:20; edited 1 time in total
Marv

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 10:31    Post subject:  

@peebee
Thanks for the explanation. I don't know why the permissions set in the boot manager weren't sticking but I was doing a LOT of pet install/uninstalls and reboots trying to get the pet with scheduler to simply install and uninstall cleanly in both LxPupSc and several older pups and may not have always been saving. Anyway that part of my crond-ing is sorted and doing what I want now. Now to the Delta.

Thanks again,

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.
belham2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 12:06    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Closely followed by interim delta for LxPupSc-17.01.23

due to big Slackware Current update Thu Jan 12 01:15:52 UTC 2017

Hi Peebee/Marv and others,

So just last week, I had updated my LxPupSc-17.01.1R to LxPupSc-17.01.21R using that delta. The resulting ISO made inside LxPup was thus labeled as LxPupSc-17.01.21R.

So now I just downloaded this latest delta--LxPupSc-17.01.23R, and I go to use this 17.01.21R full ISO that was just built last week, but soon as I click on this latest delta, a message pops up & says: "sorry, cannot find the LxPupSc-17.01.1R ISO?"

Am i to understand that you cannot apply a delta update to a previous ISO that has already been updated using another delta? If not, why not? Embarassed (see below, it does do this, no problems, as long as you are not being a dummy doing it like I was ) Rolling Eyes

[update]

--wait, I just see there was a 17.01.22 delta that was released and I missed yesterday. Is the reason I cannot update is that you cannot skip deltas??? Like I cannot go from an 17.01.1R-updated-to-17.0.21R ISO to a 17.01.23 without first applying the "..022" delta?

[update 2]

ignore this post, it was my stupidity....sorry....corrected the above
Marv

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 12:43    Post subject: interim delta for LxPupSc-17.01.23  

@peebee,
Delta downloaded and applied, md5sum ok, updated 17.01.22 savefile without incident on the workhorse Fujitsu core 2 duo laptop. All settings, scheduled tasks, video and sound seem ok so far. Using as testbed and daily now.

@belham2,
Ya, I got caught by this one too. You have to keep the 17.01.1 around as a 'mother' iso. All of the deltas until 17.02 (as I understand it) need that as a starting iso and create the current one off of it. The delta doesn't delete the starting iso on it's own BUT not too long ago in a fit of housecleaning I deleted that and had indeed to redownload or wait, can't remember which.

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc,LxPupXenial & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running browsers, office etc. solely from SFS.
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 13:02    Post subject: Re: interim delta for LxPupSc-17.01.23  

Marv wrote:
You have to keep the 17.01.1 around as a 'mother' iso.

That is correct.... all interim deltas are to be applied to the last "released" iso.....a released iso is when I upload the devx and kernel sources as well as the iso - also there is a upgrade delta provided to create the new released iso from the previous released iso.

My current "plans" are to upload a released iso + devx + kernel sources + upgrade delta once a month - interim deltas will appear during the month whenever a significant change happens....people can ignore the various deltas based on how keen they are to remain at the cutting edge

belham2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 13:18    Post subject: Re: interim delta for LxPupSc-17.01.23  

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote:
You have to keep the 17.01.1 around as a 'mother' iso.

That is correct.... all interim deltas are to be applied to the last "released" iso.....a released iso is when I upload the devx and kernel sources as well as the iso - also there is a upgrade delta provided to create the new released iso from the previous released iso.

My current "plans" are to upload a released iso + devx + kernel sources + upgrade delta once a month - interim deltas will appear during the month whenever a significant change happens....people can ignore the various deltas based on how keen they are to remain at the cutting edge

Hi Marv,

Thanks....I kind of thought this, but then realized it maybe should be like this. I just re-downloaded. I was mad at myself that I did not keep the original 17.01.1R around when first downloading it.

Hi Peebee,

I gotta hustle to stay up with you...haha. Usually, some of the other pups I use are sometimes a bit of out-of--date, and I know I have to get to moving & searching for .pets to update stuff and/or try to compile if there's no update/.pet for whatever.

But, doggone, with you, the updates are a flying fast and furious. I'm gonna start calling you the "Worcestershire Mr. Softie!". And I mean this in the most complimentary way, because unlike msft & their updates I remember from many years ago, I've never had one of your deltas fail to install & run well.....(lol, hope I'm not jinxing myself here). Thanks for keeping all us users up-to-date Smile
Billtoo

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 08:44    Post subject: LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-14.2, LXDE experiment  

I burned the iso to a DVD and ran the puppy installer to a 64GB usb-3.0 flash
drive:

System: Host: HP-Pavilion Kernel: 4.9.2-lxpup-32-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
Distro: LxPup-Sc 17.01.23
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: p7-1246s serial: MXX232077R
Mobo: Foxconn model: 2ADA v: 1.00 BIOS: AMI v: 7.12 date: 06/07/2012
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-3550 (-MCP-) speed/max: 3176/3700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
tty size: 128x41 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2125.7GB (2.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 27 F (-3 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: January 13, 7:35 AM EST
Info: Processes: 204 Uptime: 1:36 Memory: 286.7/12042.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.7

PPM isn't broken but it's not working well, try installing kpat to see.

No other problems so far, thanks.
I used the puppy installer to a 32GB SDHC card:

System: Host: Macmini Kernel: 4.9.2-lxpup-32-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
Distro: LxPup-Sc 17.01.23
Machine: Device: laptop System: Apple product: Macmini6 1 v: 1.0 serial: C07JV98EDWYL
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-031AEE4D24BFF0B1 v: Macmini6 1 serial: C072496085YF1HCAG
BIOS: Apple v: MM61.88Z.0106.B03.1211161202 date: 11/16/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1200/2501 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
tty size: 109x36 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM57766 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n driver: bcma-pci-bridge
Drives: HDD Total Size: 532.0GB (0.6% used)
Weather: Conditions: 10 F (-12 C) - light showers snow Time: January 14, 10:04 AM EST
Info: Processes: 216 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 145.4/16112.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.7

Apart from the (soon to be corrected by Mavrothal-thanks) PPM problem it's
working well.
I have the pc connected to a 32" TV by HDMI.
Screenshot2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   81.46 KB
 Viewed   295 Time(s)

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   44.96 KB
 Viewed   454 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 11:26; edited 1 time in total
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 09:45    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-14.2, LXDE experiment  

Billtoo wrote:

This is because PPM can handle the PATCHES repo only on some slackware-based puppies.
this commit should fix this.

belham2

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 09:50    Post subject:  

Hi Peebee, Billtoo, Marv and all,

Well, I went to download the link you provided here, Peebee: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109417. The kernel headers downloaded well, and the kernel header file came with an .asc file to check its integrity via terminal gpg commands.

So I opened up LxPupSc's package manager, and tried to install what is needed (plus its dependencies) for GnuPG. But, for some reason, GnuPG cannot install nor run in LxPupSc, despite the PPM trying to install it (message saying it fails every time). This is a first for me. Now I cannot check any GnuPG sigs and/or .asc files on anything downloaded from anywhere. Would anyone know if I am doing something wrong and/or why GnuPG is not install-able in LxPupSc? The PPM brings back everything that is needed for GnuPG to use GPG commands from the termnal (I regularly use, in other distros, GPG commands from the terminal all the time to make sure I verify sig(s) and asc(s) that come with downloadable files).

Here's a pic of a "gpg --verify" terminal command failing (which means it is not installed by default in LxPupSc) and also trying to install what is necessary to be able to run "gpg --verify..." and "gpg --keyserver..." and "gpg --fingerprint...." commands from the terminal. I can't begin trying to compile kernel headers until I am sure the kernel header file I downloaded (from the link above) is verified by the .asc file:
gpgfail.png
 Description   
 Filesize   249.23 KB
 Viewed   442 Time(s)

gpgfail.png

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 15:43    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:

So I opened up LxPupSc's package manager, and tried to install what is needed (plus its dependencies) for GnuPG. But, for some reason, GnuPG cannot install nor run in LxPupSc,

Looks like you unearthed a bug that is in slacko builds for some time (and looks like a slackware bug rather than PPM). Here you can see some more details on this.
In the mean time the simplest solution is to open /root/.packages/Packages-slackware-14.2-official (or -patches) and delete the gnupg entry line.
Start PPM and should install fine.Or install gnupg2 that has no problem.

belham2

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 18:09    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
belham2 wrote:

So I opened up LxPupSc's package manager, and tried to install what is needed (plus its dependencies) for GnuPG. But, for some reason, GnuPG cannot install nor run in LxPupSc,

Looks like you unearthed a bug that is in slacko builds for some time (and looks like a slackware bug rather than PPM). Here you can see some more details on this.
In the mean time the simplest solution is to open /root/.packages/Packages-slackware-14.2-official (or -patches) and delete the gnupg entry line.
Start PPM and should install fine.Or install gnupg2 that has no problem.

Hi Marv,

I unloaded (via PPM) everything related to gnupg except for what LxPupSc-17.01 comes with, which I believe is:

libgpg-error-1.23
gpgme-1.6.0

Again using PPM, I then installed "gnupg2-2.0.30". It doesn't matter, LxPupSC---even with the gnupg2-2 package installed, will not run anything related to doing pgp checks through the terminal or anywhere in the OS. This is the first pup I have ever come across this behavior related to gnupg. Strangely, both Micko's 32-bit and 64-bit Slacko install Gnupg pets & run them with ease and no problems. I checked this afternoon. I don't know what is going on in Peebee's creations, am not gifted enough to know (haha), but this is definitely not a Slacko bug--not when I am getting gnupg to run in other pup Slacko builds and also in Slackware itself. Below is a screenshot showing that "gnupg2-2" installed, with no problems. Then look when I try to run the terminal. I get this no matter if I save and restart LxPupSc or what: it just keeps failing when trying to use the terminal to do pgp-related anything.

I've had to give up on everything with LxPupSc, as I was trying to install headers that Peebee pointed to me in another thread (in compiling section, the other day), and not even the headers will install. I can manually get them in (in "usr/include"), but even that is causing the notorious "usr/include/linux/errno.h:1:23: fatal error: asm/errno.h: No such file or directory" error when "make" is trying to do its thing after "./configure". Far as I know, the only way out of that 'make' error is having to install "liux-libc-dev", and that just doesn't seem possible in LxPupSc--partially because of what is left out of the devx. So, regrettably, it seems no program like Redshift can be complied and/or ran in these LxPupSC versions unless the headers and such are put in when the builds/devx are done.

And as far as the gnupg problem (mentioned in the 1st paragrpah), it is just plain weird... here's the pic showing the exact same problem AFTER gnupg2-2 was installed with no errors given:
gnupg2-2-fails-too.png
 Description   
 Filesize   215.43 KB
 Viewed   357 Time(s)

gnupg2-2-fails-too.png

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2017, 03:21    Post subject:  

Hi @belham2

I've no real idea what you are trying to do I'm afraid as I'm not familiar with any of redshift, gnupg nor gnupg2

What I have done is directly download:
http://slackware.uk/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/n/gnupg-1.4.21-i586-2.txz
http://slackware.uk/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/n/gnupg2-2.0.30-i586-2.txz

From these I can see that the /usr/bin's are gpg in the 1st but gpg2 in the 2nd...so gpg will never run if you install gnupg2....

I then checked the dependencies (on a pristine frugal install of LxPupSc-17.01) - gpg has no missing dependencies and runs fine - gpg2 does have a missing dependency:
Code:
# ldd gpg
   linux-gate.so.1 (0xb77fa000)
   libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb77db000)
   libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb77c2000)
   libbz2.so.1 => /lib/libbz2.so.1 (0xb77b1000)
   libreadline.so.7 => /usr/lib/libreadline.so.7 (0xb776d000)
   libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7768000)
   libusb-0.1.so.4 => /usr/lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0xb7763000)
   libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb75c9000)
   libtinfo.so.6 => /usr/lib/libtinfo.so.6 (0xb75a5000)
   /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x8005f000)
   libusb-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libusb-1.0.so.0 (0xb758d000)
   libudev.so.1 => /lib/libudev.so.1 (0xb7563000)
   libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7544000)
# ./gpg
gpg: directory `/root/.gnupg' created
gpg: can't open `/usr/share/gnupg/options.skel': No such file or directory
gpg: keyring `/root/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/root/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...
xxx
^C
gpg: Interrupt caught ... exiting

================================
# ldd gpg2 | grep found
   libassuan.so.0 => not found
# ./gpg2
./gpg2: error while loading shared libraries: libassuan.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

peebee

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 06:36    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-14.2, LXDE experiment  

Billtoo wrote:
Apart from the (soon to be corrected by Mavrothal-thanks) PPM problem it's
working well.

Interim delta 17.01.24:

kernel 4.9.3
Slackware Current Sat Jan 14 05:34:32 UTC 2017

@Billtoo & @Mavrothal - ppm databases are reconfigured - please check if this corrects the problems you were seeing - thanks.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 08:40    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-14.2, LXDE experiment  

I applied the delta and burned the new iso to a DVD, ran puppy installer to
a 32GB usb-3.0 flash drive:

System: Host: HP-Pavilion Kernel: 4.9.3-lxpup-32-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
Distro: LxPup-Sc 17.01.24
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: p7-1246s serial: MXX232077R
Mobo: Foxconn model: 2ADA v: 1.00 BIOS: AMI v: 7.12 date: 06/07/2012
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-3550 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1602/3700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
tty size: 136x45 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2032.4GB (0.7% used)
Weather: Conditions: 19 F (-7 C) - Clear Time: January 15, 7:25 AM EST
Info: Processes: 200 Uptime: 55 min Memory: 206.2/12042.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

peebee wrote:

@Billtoo & @Mavrothal - ppm databases are reconfigured - please check if this corrects the problems you were seeing - thanks.

hi peebee,

There is no change with ppm, it still downloads all the dependencies twice giving an already installed error for each file on the second download.
Page 34 of 58 [858 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: