Firefox takes almost identical time to launch (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
puppy_king

Firefox takes almost identical time to launch (Solved)

#1 Post by puppy_king »

Hi,
I am using both Puppy and Debian. I have saved Puppy's configuration file including the .sfs file in Debian's root partition. Puppy now boots very fast but Firefox takes about 6-7 seconds to launch in both Puppy and Debian. Is this normal ?

I was expecting FF to launch a bit faster under Puppy.

My specs :
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Ram: 4GB
Samsung SSD 120GB

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Yes.

You are still loading a program that is very large in size.
Only thing you are changing is what operating system runs it.

It may start a little faster if you remastered Firefox into the main Puppy SFS file.
If Firefox is in the Puppy save, or loaded as a Firefox SFS package, it still has to be loaded into memory when you start it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

puppy_king

#3 Post by puppy_king »

I want to move to a lightweight browser but frankly none of them are good enough for daily use.

mikeslr

Try using two web-browsers

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Maybe consider using two webbrowsers, firefox for when you need it, and a light one for when you don't.

Qtweb and the old Opera 12.16 are slightly faster than firefox, depending on your viewpoint and system, perhaps significantly faster. You can download opera from here: http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=linux-i386. It probably doesn't matter, but I used the tar,xz package. Qtweb is available here: http://www.qtweb.net/download.html. It downloads as a zipped package. Whichever you choose, UExtract the package and move the resulting folder --renamed if you want-- to where ever you want. They require nothing else. You can run them from anywhere, just left-click QtWeb's executable or Opera's wrapper-script. For convenience you can drag those to your desktop. I've posted instructions somewhere on how to create menu entries for "External Programs".

Both downloads are less than 13 Mbs --figure about 40 Mbs of RAM when in use. However, neither will play flash videos, some websites would let you connect, and opera --even if it connects to some sites-- may screws up the display. But Opera's speed dial and bookmarking functions are, IMHO, still better than those of newer browser. So, I still use it regularly.

Edit: QtWeb plays Youtube under Carolina-Vanguard. Not sure why it didn't on other system. Too new flash?

When a website poses a problem, I highlight its URL, select copy, open a different browser and paste the url into its address box.

mikesLr

If you're running a 64-bit Puppy, there's also a 64-bit Opera 12.16. But I've never used it.
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#5 Post by Geoffrey »

puppy_king wrote:I want to move to a lightweight browser but frankly none of them are good enough for daily use.
Maybe http://lightfirefox.sourceforge.net/ will work for you, this is used in X-Tahr and works ok, seems fast.

[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mikeslr

Thumbs Up for Light

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Geoffrey,

Nice find. :D Downloaded the latest (current 47) 64 Bit version's rpm, unpacked using UExtract. Started right up. Even plays Youtube. Seems much faster than Palemoon. Maybe a heart-beat slower than Opera64-12.16 (which I also just tried). That opera doesn't do Youtube OOTB. Maybe with some fiddling. :roll: :?: At this time I have no reason to, especially as --being older-- it is probably less secure.

mikesLr

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Running Quirky Werewolf 7.4 64-bit entirely from RAM (booting from a remastered DVD, no Save file). Firefox 41.0.2 build 2 installed from one of the repos in the package manager (I can't remember which one). Firefox takes between 3 and 4 seconds to appear, waiting for me to enter a URL, after clicking the Firefox icon in Menu -> Internet.

puppy_king

#8 Post by puppy_king »

I removed some unwanted addons and now FF launches in 2 secs.
No need for any other browser.

Now I am using only 2 addons, Noscript and Ublock.

Thanks for your replies.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Which add-ons did you remove? Did you do anything besides remove the add-ons?

puppy_king

#10 Post by puppy_king »

I removed Ghostery, NetVideoHunter, Bluhell, Adblock Plus. That's all I have done. Ublock takes care of the ads, Adblock Plus is not needed.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Notice nothing in that first post said anything about add ons. :shock:

So now Firefox starts fast in both operating systems?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

puppy_king

#12 Post by puppy_king »

bigpup wrote:Notice nothing in that first post said anything about add ons. :shock:

So now Firefox starts fast in both operating systems?
Yes, FF is launching pretty fast in both Puppy & Debian.

TeX Dog

#13 Post by TeX Dog »

There is a way to load faster, BK figured that large blob of code/libs/etc was gzipped and the decompression as loaded, then of the layer of decompression in sfs caused slow loading. He unzipped that file so that sfs decompression was like normal. However running in RAM with neither compressed, sfs in pack mode only or copied files, its sub second load time.
Its up to the users of WoofQ to build the package for this speedup. Looks like it was forgot, dropped, or only applies to seamonkey. :lol:

TeX Dog

#14 Post by TeX Dog »

Also a better and doesn't require any addons is the Pup-Advert-Blocker script that download long text list of domains to ignore and adds those to your host file, it tells every Internet program to send traffic for the INTERNET to a NULL type IP address within your computer.
Works with all browsers without change. Also it allows you to get around DNS attacks to favorite hosts.

musher0

#15 Post by musher0 »

Geoffrey wrote:
puppy_king wrote:I want to move to a lightweight browser but frankly none of them are good enough for daily use.
Maybe http://lightfirefox.sourceforge.net/ will work for you, this is used in X-Tahr and works ok, seems fast.

Hello all.

Many thanks to Geoffrey for sharing his find.

I've just created an sfs for the 32-bit linux version of light-49.0. Available
from its own thread, here.

Please report any bugs or positive comments, etc. about this "light firefox"
browser on that thread please, not here. TIA.

Enjoy!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

#16 Post by kiramm »

u firefox light in xthar 2.0

asks alltime for confirm secure contection

so goes more time lost than with heaviest

beside cant open gmail correctly

no google photos probably no fb probably

i liked firefox 10 for beeing light with handicaped email...

i must say that i don t see any sense for light browsers generally

because they cant mosty open even email

min must be mail plus fb today...also the aeroplane tickets page...

one can not just browse puppy forum only...
there is also world outside

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

Its not the fact you can't read e-mails, it is where you go.

In the USA, FaceBook, Twitter, and Google have come under public scrutiny, and criticism of how the three behave towards the end-user. Crafting what you see as news based upon your usage and destinations on the web, is but one form of censorship all three have in common.

Consider it a blessing.

JMHO
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."