Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 Mar 2017, 07:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog 64-bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2017, 17:50    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
The default Chrome install off the Google website will have apt download all the dependencies and automatically add the chrome repository to the sources file so that it does update automatically with apt-get upgrade.

Ah, yes, you are right, didn't notice before, I see now in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d" directory, that will upgrade chrome using apt-get indeed, thanks!

Fred

zagreb999

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2017, 04:08    Post subject: mx-antix deluxe  

from debian world
screen4.jpeg
Description  antix-mx deluxe
jpeg

Download 
Filename  screen4.jpeg 
Filesize  139.32 KB 
Downloaded  75 Time(s) 
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2017, 09:19    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:
Is there a small firewall script (like in other pups) that we can use?

Can you test this firewall-puppy program ? (I have very little knowledge about firewall stuff, so can't test properly)
No idea if it works ok in this setup, Toni has put it together long time ago for DebianDog.
Includes only shell scrips, so should be platform independent.
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/Packages64/Testing/firewall-puppy_1.0.0-1_all.deb
Run after install from Menu > System > Firewall Puppy

Hey backi !! Greetings ! Smile

Fred

Hi Fred,

Just installed the above firewall this morning, I think it is running ok....well, I mean it seems to be from doing simple tests on using websites to penetrate/test it and the firewall blocking stuff I've tried. But, ugh, I wished I was more gifted in grasping Toni's writing of scripts of iptable rules and loops. I have a general idea on some of it, but am lost on others. Haha....am blundering through the forest with a helmet over my eyes Razz .

Anyhow, thanks again
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2017, 10:30    Post subject: How to set WEP in Wifi  

Hi Fred,

XD64 booted right to desktop and looks nice. But among the first things I always do is set up Wifi. By either clicking the icon on the "Taskbar" or starting it via the Menu, I get the same GUI? --I assume that the window which appears is a GUI. It sees my wireless network. But then I'm not sure what I have to do to enter the WEP password: Fios Router, no choice to use WPA,

Is there a quick link to instructions? If not, what steps do I take.

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:54    Post subject:  

Hi Belham

Quote:
I think it is running ok....well, I mean it seems to be from doing simple tests on using websites to penetrate/test it and the firewall blocking stuff I've tried. But, ugh, I wished I was more gifted in grasping Toni's writing of scripts of iptable rules and loops.

You did use the automatic setup? (not advanced, or how it's named)
Btw, I wasn't clear enough when I said that Toni had put it together, I meant that he took the files from Puppy (I think) and made a .deb package.
Probably it's just the same as the default firewall included in many puppies, but I might be wrong.

Fred

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:59    Post subject:  

Hi mikeslr,

I'm not sure I understand well what you mean with the GUI.
Is it the one the below screenshot shows?
If so you can double click your network and enter password.
Or does it not work with WEP possibly?

Fred
wifi-gui.png
 Description   WiFi GUI
 Filesize   56.34 KB
 Viewed   968 Time(s)

wifi-gui.png

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2017, 16:14    Post subject:  

*** Upgrade XenialDog 64-bit ISO 2017-01-22 ***
First post has been updated

Upgraded ISO a few days later ?
Well, to be honest, that's mostly for personal reasons.
Me being a perfectionist, couldn't stand that it was still not how I'd prefer.

Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..
Really need to pay more attention to "real life" e.g. my health (sitting so much at the computer is killing me)

I will still be around here, but nothing new (or upgraded) from me in the near future (probably in spring or summer I will work again on a new DebianDog, when Stretch has arrived as the new 'stable' branch)

Changes, fixes: (nothing much really)

1. Pcmanfm "open with..." shows applications to choose from now
2. Added one more option to choose from in "Desktop Manager": Pcmanfm providing the desktop and Lxpanel bottom panel (for those who don't like tint2 or cairo-dock, it's a little heavier, but still very light)

Download:
Iso: XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso Size: 310MB
Md5sum: XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.md5

Fred

backi

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017, 04:01    Post subject:  

Hi fred !

Quote:
Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..
Really need to pay more attention to "real life" e.g. my health (sitting so much at the computer is killing me)

Good idea fred ......in my humble opinion .
Be good to yourself .......hanging a lot on the web like i do, can give some distorted relation to "real " life .
Your decision sounds like a sign of sanity .

Wish you all the best........and see you later Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
zagreb999

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017, 17:22    Post subject: ubuntu installer on hard disk  

regards...

does anybody know about ubuntu installer
on hdd , and the same could be used in xenialdog64...
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017, 21:50    Post subject: XenialDog 64 Wifi: WEP Password doesn't take  

Hi fredx181 & anyone,

My apologies if this creates a moment of anxiety spoiling your well earned break. XenialDog 32-bit works so well I was hoping 64-bit would do like-wise. But as I have other options for an operating system, there's no urgency.

My computer is only connected to the internet by wifi. Left-Clicking Menu>Network>Wifi Configuration or Left-Clicking the icon on the Tint2 (?) panel, opens a window which instructs to "Double click to Connect". My wireless network is among the list of wireless networks found. Double Clicking it, however, fails with the message:

"ip address failed on etho"

Right-Clicking the icon on Tint2, opens a window Titled "IP Infb- Network Information". Clicking the Wireless Tab, reveals that "No wireless extensions detected. Clicking the Interfaces Tab reveals that wlan0 is, in fact, recognized -- as suggested by the fact that wifi networks were, in fact, seen.

[Perhaps helpful: To strengthen connectivity, there's a Wifi Extender between my computer and my router. It appears as a "network" distinct from my network. However, it uses the same password. When that password is entered, it is accepted and the icon on Tint2 changes, now showing that the computer is connected. So, whatever the name of the "wifi connection application" maybe, it does accept WEP passwords. The extender, however, is only that. When firefox is opened, it reports "Server not found"].

If Edit Preferences is selected from The Wifi configuration window, what opens appears to be a text file. Under #Set default interface this appears: INTERFACE="eth0". Editing that to read INTERFACE="wlan0" and clicking OK doesn't stick. Trying to select my network again repors "ip address failed on etho". And checking preferences again reports INTERFACE="eth0".

There’s a section on the above file regarding WEP passwords. IIRC – I’m obviously not posting from XenialDog64-- the password which appears is “”. If I edit either that file or the (I think) file in /etc mentioned at the top of the document and save the changes, the manually imput changes are ignored: Attempting to access internet reports "ip address failed on etho" and examining the two files still shows defaul INTERFACE=etho and Wifi password=””.

Of course, XenialDog32 works fine. But it uses frisbee.

Anyone have a frisbee deb or pet --or a Wicd-- which will work under XenialDog64?

mikesLr
newsted44

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017, 22:39    Post subject: Best of the best.
Subject description: xenialdog 64bit

Wow. XenialDog 64bit was put together by some very talented people. This operating system is an instant contender for best of the best.

Thanks a million!

Mike
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017, 04:44    Post subject: Re: XenialDog 64 Wifi: WEP Password doesn't take  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi fredx181 & anyone,

My apologies if this creates a moment of anxiety spoiling your well earned break. XenialDog 32-bit works so well I was hoping 64-bit would do like-wise. But as I have other options for an operating system, there's no urgency.

Hello mikeslr,

if no really no urgency I'll try and help since I'm keen to install and try out XenialDog64 but I'm too busy for the coming week. Hopefully, from what you write, it will not be too difficult to sort out without needing frisbee or WiCD. Of course someone may have a solution or can help sooner.

Cheers, William

zagreb999

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017, 05:03    Post subject: frisbee on xenial64  

hi mikeslr

take frisbee from synaptic

for me it works perfectly
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017, 10:30    Post subject: frisbee @ github  

Thanks zagreb999,

Laughing Now why didn't I think of that? Embarassed

Via a different OS, downloaded the deb and will try it ASAP.

Just to put things in prospective, it took me 30-odd years to figure out why, when you're searching for something, it's always in the last place you look. Because, then you stop looking. Laughing

mikesLr
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017, 12:54    Post subject:  

Hi mikeslr,

It appears that the program 'wifibox' hasn't been tested well enough (probably only with WPA).
It's taken from Slitaz, and William and I have been working on it to adapt it for XenialDog.
One of the changes I made was key encryption, this means that in the wpa config file (/etc/wpa/wpa.conf) an encrypted key is shown rather than the "real" one.

I made new package (wifibox_1.0.5_amd64.deb) with some changes that will reverse back to original (no key encryption) and other change which has to do with required quotes for WEP ( psk="key" )
There's a good chance it will work now for you.

Can you do me a favor and test this new version? (I can't test WEP)

Download (from other OS):
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/Packages64/Extra/wifibox_1.0.5_amd64.deb

Then in XenialDog64
In terminal first remove old wifibox and traces of old config files:

Code:
apt-get purge wifibox
# remove old config files
rm -f /etc/network.conf*
rm -rf /etc/wpa

Install, open terminal in directory where wifibox_1.0.5_amd64.deb is located

Code:
dpkg -i wifibox_1.0.5_amd64.deb

Quote:
If Edit Preferences is selected from The Wifi configuration window, what opens appears to be a text file. Under #Set default interface this appears: INTERFACE="eth0". Editing that to read INTERFACE="wlan0" and clicking OK doesn't stick. Trying to select my network again repors "ip address failed on etho". And checking preferences again reports INTERFACE="eth0".

The important entries (to be set for working WiFi) in /etc/network.conf are:
WIFI="yes"
WIFI_INTERFACE="wlan0" (or whatever)
WIFI_ESSID="......"
WIFI_KEY='.......'

But it should be done all automatically, no need to edit (only for e.g. set to static IP maybe).
If all is well of course, sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote:
Laughing Now why didn't I think of that? Embarassed

Via a different OS, downloaded the deb and will try it ASAP.

Frisbee package (64bit) is here, (synaptic won't work from other OS, e,g, XenialDog 32bit, it will download 32bit frisbee)
https://debiandog.github.io/xenialdog/Packages64/Included/

But again, please test first if new wifibox works, thanks!.

Fred

Page 3 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: