XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

i hope 2017 will be happy for everybody kindly working here

#321 Post by Pelo »

fredx181 thanks and i hope 2017 will be happy for everybody kindly working in the forum to get our computers efficient and fun.
Photivo seems to be a QT application not compiled. That gets my curiosity much less strong.. A new address must be add to those existing, photivo is not in debian software.. Wait and see.
I make some tries immediatly; if some difficulty, i give up..
:?:
gpg: requesting key 93330B78 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
?: keyserver.ubuntu.com: Network is unreachable
gpgkeys: HTTP fetch error 7: couldn't connect: Network is unreachable

Post scriptum : since Christmas network is very bad (SFR). However Wicd succeds to-day to connect wireless. :) Merci XenialDog. Really nothing to blame about XenialDog.
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 18:55, edited 3 times in total.

fredx181

#322 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:gpg: requesting key 93330B78 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
?: keyserver.ubuntu.com: Network is unreachable

Hmm... strange, works ok for me:

Code: Select all

root@xenial:~# apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 93330B78 
Executing: /tmp/tmp.TzXGw36JYz/gpg.1.sh --keyserver
keyserver.ubuntu.com
--recv-keys
93330B78
gpg: requesting key 93330B78 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 93330B78: public key "Launchpad PPA for Dariusz Duma" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
root@xenial:~# 
Maybe try again?

(BTW, you can do without this trusted key, but then you always get warning/prompt y/n when installing packages from this repository)

Fred

Pelo

WICD succeeds even with really weak wireless

#323 Post by Pelo »

When wireless is weak, i have to inform that Frisbee fails, and WICD succeeds. That is true for Other OS, especially DebianDog64. With my computer and in my zone.
WICD added in DebianDog64, removes automatically Frisbee

fredx181

#324 Post by fredx181 »

*** 2017-01-18 XenialDog ISO upgrade ***
First post has been updated

Edit: Updated to version 2017-01-22 now, see also here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 488#940488

Changes, fixes:

1. The script "snap" (for save on exit from console) in /usr/local/bin conflicts with binary with the same name from the "snapd" package.
Should be fixed in next ISO; a workaround for now: see here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 938#908938
2. Included gnome-player doesn't play CD's
It was because of mplayer not compiled with cdda support, fixed now by recompiling (with CD and DVD support)
3. Wbar replaced by cairo-dock (minimal version)
4. Kernel upgrade to latest version 4.4.0-59-generic, and all packages upgraded
5. Some other small fixes
6. Added: Quick-Remaster and Upgrade-kernel tools

Edit: Another change: Conky display of RAM usage is according to 'free', not to Htop as it was on previous version

Download: Edit: Updated to version 2017-01-22 now
Iso: XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso Size: 304MB
Md5sum: XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.md5

DEVX: 61-DEVX-XenialDog32-2017-01-18.squashfs
Locales: 99-locales-XenialDog32-2017-01-18.squashfs

Also 64-bit version coming up:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109476 :)

Fred

Screenshot:

Openbox with cairo-dock:
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#325 Post by backi »

Hi fred !

Just started fooling around with your upgraded Doggie .

I put this new Xenial Dog on a Usb .

My boot menue:

title Xenial Dog - porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder
find --set-root /DEBIANSID/live/vmlinuz1
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz from=/XENIALDOG noauto changes=EXIT:/XENIALDOG/casper/ ramsize=100%
initrd /XENIALDOG/casper/initrd1.x

My Machine :
old Toshiba Satellite 3000 1 Gig Ram

Prefere JWM over Openbox

First observation :

Frisbee Networks /Wlan works OOB (in contrast to the older Version )

Very low on Ram .......52 MegBites idle (showed in Conky ) .

Like that Doggie.
In case there is something wrong ...will report .

Thanks once again for your hard work and your kind attitude .
That`s all for the moment .

See you later and greetings fredX aka "Lord of the Dogs " :D
Last edited by backi on Fri 20 Jan 2017, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#326 Post by backi »

removed

fredx181

#327 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks backi !!

Great that wireless works now for you, to be honest I can't really explain why (what exactly fixed it), but doesn't matter.

Same mistake I made as on XenialDog64: Pcmanfm "Open with..." doesn't show any applications to choose from.
(see also EDIT2 here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 972#939972 )
This can be easily fixed, in terminal:

mv /etc/xdg/lxde-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu
Edit: Another thing I am not happy with is the vertical display of the desktop drive icons.
If you have more than 5-6 partitions it will overlap the other icons.
Fortunately you can play with the settings of desktop_drive_icons to display where you want, or e.g. set to horizontal placement (which is better anyway IMO because it takes less space on the screen then).

Fred

zagreb999

wifi

#328 Post by zagreb999 »

regards to all

I can confirm

frisbee and wifi-connect
work perfectly in xenialdog 32 bit
and 64 bit on
hp pavilion 64 bit 8 gb ram

thanks

fredx181

#329 Post by fredx181 »

Package desktop-drive-icons can be upgraded from version 0.0.1 (which is very old) to version 0.0.6 (latest from akash_rawal : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 792#632792 )
To upgrade from terminal:

apt-get install desktop-drive-icons
Or install via Synaptic

Improvements:
- Will display a second row if first is full (with version 0.0.1 some icons were not visible anymore if you have many partitions)
- More configurable (right-click > Settings)

EDIT: restart X to apply (probably the placement (X: and Y: ) needs to reconfigured in Settings)

Fred

fredx181

#330 Post by fredx181 »

*** New XenialDog ISO 2017-01-22 ***

Again a new ISO after a few days ?
Well, to be honest, that's mostly for personal reasons.
Me being a perfectionist, couldn't stand that it was still not how I'd prefer.

Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..
Really need to pay more attention to "real life" e.g. my health (sitting so much at the computer is killing me)

I will still be around here, but nothing new from me in the near future (probably in spring or summer I will work again on a new DebianDog, when Stretch has arrived as the 'stable' branch)

Changes, fixes: (nothing much really)

1. Pcmanfm "open with..." shows applications to choose from now
2. Package "desktop-drive-icons" upgraded to newer version (and drive icons placed horizontally on the desktop now)
3. Added one more option to choose from in "Desktop Manager": Pcmanfm providing the desktop and Lxpanel bottom panel (for those who don't like tint2 or cairo-dock, it's a little heavier, but still very light)

Download: (ISO from 2017-01-18 will be removed)

Fred

belham2

#331 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:*** New XenialDog ISO 2017-01-22 ***

Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..
Really need to pay more attention to "real life" e.g. my health (sitting so much at the computer is killing me)

I will still be around here, but nothing new from me in the near future (probably in spring or summer I will work again on a new DebianDog, when Stretch has arrived as the 'stable' branch)

Fred
Hi Fred,

Truer words could not have been spoken.....the bad I am doing to my body sitting at this computer for so many hours during the week is just unreal. I know I shouldn't be doing it, but I still do, despite back and hip bones grinding against one another, blood pooling in my legs, my posture very bad, and even my feet going numb. Yet I still will sit here. How dumb am I?? :roll: And I cannot imagine what it is like for those of you who develop and code these builds. We all are just killing ourselves. Even with one of those fancy rising desks, it doesn't do anything, as I still end up sitting back down after awhile.

Anyhow, take a good long break, get some exercising in, go see some friends face to face, and no more computer. Your creations and ddogs and their users will still be here, haha, that is if the sitting-police and/or grim-reaper haven't come to take us away first :shock:

Enjoy your break, and stay away from the computer until the flowers come out in full bloom this summer. Got a feeling we're going to get no Nordic cool breezes this summer and it is going to get brutally hot, just like it got brutally cold this winter.

Be good, my friend, and take care of yourself! :wink:

fredx181

#332 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:Enjoy your break, and stay away from the computer until the flowers come out in full bloom this summer. Got a feeling we're going to get no Nordic cool breezes this summer and it is going to get brutally hot, just like it got brutally cold this winter.

Be good, my friend, and take care of yourself! Wink
Thanks Belham, and you also change things to the better, that's an order!! :)

Moat

#333 Post by Moat »

Just a quick spin of your latest 32 bit on my old dual-core Optiplex 380 desktop, Fred, but running and looking fantastic... congrats! I really need to work on wrapping my head around getting this set up w/savefile on a USB stick (as I am so used to with standard Puppies) - just too many great things about these Dogs (extra tools, quick remastering, Synaptic!) not to do so.

Two tiny things spotted so far on LxPanel - the funky slash in the date while hovering over the panel's clock (vaguely recall seeing something earlier 'bout this... will have a look/seek) and the panel weather widget won't find a location (an LxPanel/Yahoo regression thing, I'm sure).

Otherwise - beautiful, so flexible and fast! 8) Fonts look especially good, too. Thanks,

Bob
Attachments
xenialdog-32-1-22-2017.jpg
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 1062 times

backi

#334 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
Good idea fred ......in my humble opinion .
Be good to yourself .......hanging a lot on the web like i do, can give some distorted relation to "real " life .
Your decision sounds like a sign of sanity .

Wish you all the best........and see you later :D :D :D

Robert123

#335 Post by Robert123 »

fredx181 wrote:*** New XenialDog ISO 2017-01-22 ***

Again a new ISO after a few days ?
Well, to be honest, that's mostly for personal reasons.
Me being a perfectionist, couldn't stand that it was still not how I'd prefer.

Changes, fixes: (nothing much really)

1. Pcmanfm "open with..." shows applications to choose from now
2. Package "desktop-drive-icons" upgraded to newer version (and drive icons placed horizontally on the desktop now)
3. Added one more option to choose from in "Desktop Manager": Pcmanfm providing the desktop and Lxpanel bottom panel (for those who don't like tint2 or cairo-dock, it's a little heavier, but still very light)

Download: (ISO from 2017-01-18 will be removed)

Fred
Have a good break Fred you've earned it.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

rufwoof

#336 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:Also, most important for me, I need to close a chapter, must take a break in creating stuff, always searching for new solutions, improvements etc..

Hi Fred.

The fix for me was to simplify down to using core Debian, with a single script added in (equivalent of (similar to) save2flash) and accepting running as a user rather than root (su into root whenever need to do admin type tweaks). Mostly boot 'puppy style' where changes are lost at shutdown, unless I specifically run the save script which I tend to do pretty rarely now. The way I have it set up the root partition is also the save partition, with empty filesytem.squashfs (everything in the 'savefile'), which means I can boot as though a fully installed system also (that I do to perform updates).

Everythings taken care of by Debian (assuming you're content to stick to just their repositories/versions).

I'm somewhat hoping that upon migration to Stretch it will be just a natural progression (simple apt-get dist-upgrade from Jessie), but suspect perhaps not and that the single 'save2flash' script might have to be changed.

Stability, functionality and updates wise, works really well for me. More time for physical back and hip workouts (walks, bike rides etc.).

mcewanw

Using xhippo in XenialDog

#337 Post by mcewanw »

Just a quick drop by. I was missing my modified compilation of xhippo simple playlist control program not being in my older XenialDog32 install, so I used the pet from below and converted it to a deb in XenialDog32:

xhippo-3.5mod008-gtk2-i486.pet from

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86753

Note that there is also a version of xhippo deb for 64bit systems in that post.

Had a problem with it not playing mp4 videos, however. Turned out to be something to do with XenialDog32 actually using some gnome-mplayer start-up script: /usr/local/apps/gnome-mplayer-1.0.6/start-mplayer. Not sure what that does, so made an easy fix for xhippo to work by just using XenialDog supplied mpv player instead. It's actually my commandline player script /usr/local/bin/xhplay which does the underneath donkey-work for xhippo GUI, so the 'fix/workaround' is to replace line 102 of /usr/local/bin/xhplay from:

exec mplayer -really-quiet -geometry -32-64 "$filename" # npg - xhplay
to

exec mpv -really-quiet -geometry -32-64 "$filename" # npg - xhplay
Of course there may be a way of modifying the ...gnome-mplayer..../start-mplayer script to get mplayer working straight from commandline (e.g. mplayer filename.mp4 doesn't seem to find the file whilst mpv filename.mp4 does) but probably not worth the bother since mpv fine. Also, I haven't checked the newer XenialDog32 (or XenialDog64) iso yet to see if any changes relevant to this matter.

Final note: in older XenialDog32 converting pet2deb had problem with fix provided by fredx181 in post below (maybe fixed in new iso?):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 251#914251

Have a good rest Fred, and many thanks.

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

backi

#338 Post by backi »

Hi !
Installed it to a Usb Stick in Porteus Boot mode with save on Exit/Demand.

Menu.lst :

title Xenial Dog - porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder
find --set-root /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz from=/XENIALDOG noauto changes=EXIT:/XENIALDOG/casper/ ramsize=100%
initrd /XENIALDOG/casper/initrd1.xz

Seems to work fine so far .

Only thing i changed ......removed Firefox-portable ......with :

apt-get --purge remove firefox-portable
then made a Quick Remaster .

Replaced Firefox with newest Pale Moon from here :

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

This is what i usually do .
Downloaded palemoon tar.bz2 ......extracted it (outside the Savefile ) ....made a symlink to Folder palemoon/palemoon and save .
So i keep Pale moon outside the save Folder . The (hidden) .moonchild productions folder i keep in save Folder .

Xenial Dog is cool .

Thank you fredx and all you unnamed Supporters

Pelo

take advantage of XenialDog to run applications

#339 Post by Pelo »

Once XenialDog installed (without trouble), users take advantage of it to run applications not available under Puppy Linux if you are somebody unable to compile. Or who does not want t waste leasure time learning how to do (first learn English, then learn Linux).
GCstar Main Topic
LTS, But no feed back from people, Training OS for Linux students ?
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 08 Feb 2017, 05:37, edited 3 times in total.

mcewanw

Setting system clock to display correctly using timedatectl

#340 Post by mcewanw »

Fixed timezone system clock display on dual-boot with Windows system perfectly for both pristine (clean frugal installed) XenialDog32 and XenialDog64 systems without any mucking about with any files in /etc hierarchy:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 544#941544
github mcewanw