First day hanging out with my new Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
Puppynewbie

First day hanging out with my new Puppy

#1 Post by Puppynewbie »

I rather like Puppy and it will take some time getting use to but I can understand it much better now. I had troubles running from CD as my cdrom drive is problematic.

On the HD it is much better. It blew my mind last night when trying to find files as every time from the CD I would use Rox and before I knew it it was scanning the whole cd and I could not stop it.

Anyways it is running well and I am going to let Windows hang around a while longer so I can retrieve files and drivers for my wifi card etc.

I can not find my cdrom drive now...? It says Puppy thinks it is at /dev/hdb but I try to run it from there and nothing happens.

The biggest thing I want to get going is I have a pcmmia USB card. This is my only viable option to make use of this laptop other than a paperweight.

The USB adapter will allow me to save files have installs and even add a usb wireless to that if I have troubles with the wifi card.

When I use the USBview I get an error asking if I compiled the Kernal, if I have the core modules loaded and the usbdevfs mounted.

I appreciate any help on how to go about getting what I need to work this out.

TIA

MU

#2 Post by MU »

try to enter these commands (select them with the mouse, then click with the middle mouse button in a consolewindow to paste them):

modprobe pcmcia_core
modprobe yenta_socket
modprobe usb-ohci
modprobe ehci-hcd
modprobe usb-uhci
modprobe input
modprobe usbmouse
modprobe hid
modprobe mousedev
modprobe keybdev
modprobe sd_mod
modprobe sr_mod
modprobe sg
modprobe usb-storage

This simply loads most usb- and pcmcia modules.
If you have a harddisk attached (or flashcard or so), it now should become visible in MUT after some seconds.

Mark

Puppynewbie

#3 Post by Puppynewbie »

Thanks MU,

Nice list too bad I have no internet yet on the laptop! IE no copy and paste, I had to type them in.

Most all are not found. modprobe usb-storage did not get a response.
modprobe yenta_socket no response as well

I am guessing these are all on the install CD and do you know where to find them and where to copy them to?