Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 29 Jun 2017, 12:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE experiment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 39 of 51 [753 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 49, 50, 51 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan 2017, 07:59    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Interim delta to: LxPupSc-17.01.28T

Kernel 4.9.6
openssl-1.0.2k

@Sailor - no have only built 4.4.45 with my LxPup configs..... when I say "my" they're not due to me at all....plagiarised from somewhere else....& @Marv pleased that the 4.4.45 tests seem to prove that the configs aren't the problem

Hi Peebee/Marv & Sailor,

Peebee, can confirm what Marv saw...I dropped in the kernel from smokey's link you provided for the troublesome old amd systems (that struggled with the newer kernels), and sure enough, all is right with the world, from dual monitors to redshift to all. Thanks! Also, thanks for the new 4.9.6 & openssl update! What I mean is, not only is it the best route for all LxPupSc users, but plowing forward gives me legit reason to proclaim to the wifey: "but honey, I need new at least one new rig, 'cause I can't even run LxPupSc with da old crap I have... haha! Laughing
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan 2017, 18:46    Post subject: Interim delta to: LxPupSc-17.01.28T  

md5sum checked, installed to the core 2 duo and Pentium M laptops. Both pristine and 17.01.27 savefile updates tested.

The core 2 duo install seems absolutely perfect. glxgears FPS around 1675, did my taxes on it, installed (as an SFS) SMplayer 17.1.0 which worked well. Just played with the equalizer and a DVD or two.

The Pentium M boots correctly with the 4.9.6 kernel but has the same suspend lockup issues as seen in 17.01.26-27 and the glxgears FPS is at 205 as it was in them. Substituted the 4.4.45 kernel (made a z-drv so it's quick and I can test pristine boots) and as in 17.01.27 both the suspend and the glxgears FPS are good.

In both .27 and .28 I am patching the init as discussed here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=941162#941162 . I've seen no side effects other than the desired change.. fsck as a boot parameter no longer reports 'mount in the future'.

Edited: To correct SMplayer version number

cheers,

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan 2017, 03:33    Post subject:  

Pentium M: I keep only one machine with this chip just to check the shortcomings reported by others like Marv! Otherwise, I try to avoid Intel altogether (even gifts) - they have decades of design failures and shortcomings all the way back to the notorious i386/33 and earlier. They are half of the hated Wintel cartel, of course. It may be possible to replace those 'M' cpu s, even in laptops. Only seen a few soldered in (smc didn't appear till later), most are socketed. Can get a used replacement for peanuts on eBay. Clean out the airways, lube the fan and make sure you don't rest it on your crown jewels. With Puppies, the load is a lot less than the devil's OS, so could use a lower rated cpu if worried about heat loading, but I've not found it an issue on modest updates/swaps.
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan 2017, 14:11    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Pentium M: I keep only one machine with this chip just to check the shortcomings reported by others like Marv! Otherwise, I try to avoid Intel altogether (even gifts) - they have decades of design failures and shortcomings all the way back to the notorious i386/33 and earlier. They are half of the hated Wintel cartel, of course. It may be possible to replace those 'M' cpu s, even in laptops. Only seen a few soldered in (smc didn't appear till later), most are socketed. Can get a used replacement for peanuts on eBay. Clean out the airways, lube the fan and make sure you don't rest it on your crown jewels. With Puppies, the load is a lot less than the devil's OS, so could use a lower rated cpu if worried about heat loading, but I've not found it an issue on modest updates/swaps.

I buy Pentium M business laptops to run Puppy because I'm cheap and the CPU works and laptops themselves are pretty solid. I think I've used 5 of them now. All hail 2004-2005. Laughing I was actually waiting for Atom to catch up to Pentium M speeds in single-thread workloads, I think Intel finally did it with Goldmont / Apollo Lake this year (Celeron N3350, N3450, Pentium N4200) but their "base/turbo" marketing idea is weird, base 1.1GHz turbo 2.4GHz? Thought they already had speedstep to clock down when it gets too hot, wonder how long "burst" can last in these new cheap laptops. At least I know Youtube runs ok on Atom.
Volhout

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan 2017, 16:39    Post subject: Pentium M
Subject description: Atom

Hi Sailor,

You may want to keep at your Pentium M professional laptops. The current Atoms do match the speed you are looking for, but fact is, they are low cost solutions. And low cost designs do not (default) follow the intel design platforms. There is always something incompatible .....

I am currently typing from an N2600 netbook, with it's incompatible video HW accelerators. (no linux driver for any kernell newer than 3.2.4Cool and it's Bluetooth module that is hidden "behind" the WLAN chip (no linux driver).
So no buetooth support. But it has ethernet, and VGA, and SD card and HDMI.. however no audio in. But it was cheap....Wink
I run slacko 5.7 PAE (kernel 3.10) on it as the most stable of puppies. And currently Lubuntu 16.04. There is not much maintenance on this slacko, except 8Geee's 2017 version (non-PAE). Not like Lucid 5.28 that is at it's 7'th reincarnation.

Then I bought a Chromebook (C720) with it's potent N2955U processor (nice single thread performance). That one happens to have a I2C touchpad, that requires a specifc driver (Fatdog 631-chromebook edition is the ony puppy that supports it AFAIK), has different key layout. And no VGA, only HDMI. And no Ethernet, only WLAN.

I may have been unlucky in my choices (not well informed, buying on impulse ?) but ran into some incompatibilities that hurt puppy deployment.
Maybe stay with the professional type of "older" machines that are well supported by Linux kernels, and have a lot of practical connectors ? Maybe even a printer port....

Regards,

Volhout
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2017, 03:55    Post subject:  

Can't see the wood for the trees? The Wintel cartel will crucify you. This is not a new phenomenon, it dates all the way back to W3.0, even DOS5.0, even i386. These guys are incompetent and corrupt - they just want your $$$. 'doze is a money making machine, Linux is the threat. You can read all about it in legal papers, annuls of the USDoJ, Euro Law Reports, not to mention legions of Fora just like this one...
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2017, 05:03    Post subject:  

Off-Topic declared - end of this discussion on this thread please!

Discussion of whether the new kernels in LxPupSc have problems on older hardware is of course OK.

peebee

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2017, 12:16    Post subject: LxPupSc-17.02.1T  

LxPupSc-17.02.1T is a 32-bit pae woof-ce 'testing' branch build

LxPupSc-17.02.1T.iso {devx} {kernel 4.9.6-lxpup sources}
iso md5 = 41b08a2ca9d0ca6bbc309cfb770b89b7

Delta is available

- kernel 4.9.6 (alternative kernel 4.4.45 also available)
- Made from Slackware-14.2/current as of Thu Jan 26 21:33:41 UTC 2017
- BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;f4e45ee;2017-01-31 19:45:44 +0800'
- web browser in adrv is light-48.0
- firmware is in fdrv
- alternative fall-back xorg is in ydrv (no need to install unless needed)

Woof-CE build repository is: http://smokey01.com/peebee/slackocurrent/

Chromium, Firefox, Opera, Palemoon and Seamonkey are in the repository and installable via Internet -> Get Web Browser

Last edited by peebee on Thu 02 Mar 2017, 04:47; edited 2 times in total
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2017, 15:15    Post subject: Re: LxPupSc-17.02.1T  

peebee wrote:
LxPupSc-17.02.1T is a 32-bit pae woof-ce 'testing' branch build

LxPupSc-17.02.1T.iso {devx} {kernel 4.9.6-lxpup sources}
iso md5 = 038d66d9027460166352956cdf7efbef

Delta is available

- kernel 4.9.6 (alternative kernel 4.4.45 also available)
- Made from Slackware-14.2/current as of Thu Jan 26 21:33:41 UTC 2017
- BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;f4e45ee;2017-01-31 19:45:44 +0800'
- web browser in adrv is light-48.0
- firmware is in fdrv
- alternative fall-back xorg is in ydrv (no need to install unless needed)

Woof-CE build repository is: http://smokey01.com/peebee/slackocurrent/

Chromium, Firefox, Opera, Palemoon and Seamonkey are in the repository and installable via Internet -> Get Web Browser

Gracias, Peebee, for the 'alternative kernel' Wink
ally

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2017, 15:35    Post subject:  

posting from LxPupSc-17.02.1T now on lenovo x201

not a mozzila fan so have loaded chromium sfs, so far everything working smoothly

will run as a daily driver for a few days but so far so good

cheers

Smile
Marv

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb 2017, 22:15    Post subject: LxPupSc-17.02.1T  

Delta downloaded and 17.02.1T iso generated. 17.01.28 Grub4Dos frugal installs updated on both the core 2 duo laptop (4.9.6 kernel) and on the Pentium M laptop (keeping the 4.4.45 kernel). Both machines are running and suspending correctly, with all settings, connections, and glxgears FPS coming through unchanged. The time patch discussed above is now in the init. Great. Daily use now on my core 2 duo. I'm using QTWeb browser 3.8.5 (binary build with static QT) on LxPupSc other than for banking etc. now. Even on the Pentium M it's snappy!

cheers,

Sage

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb 2017, 05:19    Post subject:  

Yes, all very interesting and useful, all working OOTB - quite brisk, very flexible, but it's still confusing to be met by
Internet: U Light , which doesn't do anything
and
Get browser , which tells to get a browser,
then
PPM has a somewhat limited browser choice, any of which take an age to d/l and install from the (undisclosed) server source (nluug recommended, even for overseas users). Best opening gambit might have e.g. Dillo available at start-up (other minimalist broswers also available).

Not just my preference, but general consensus on a range of Fora is that Claws, although bigger, is a better email client, more comprehensive, more sophisticated, etc.
Notwithstanding, a valuable addition to the armoury, esp. with a refreshed .iso today.
Thanks!
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb 2017, 05:54    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
but it's still confusing to be met by
Internet: U Light , which doesn't do anything
and
Get browser , which tells to get a browser,

I suspect you have not included the adrv in the install??

There are 6 files needed for LxPupSc:
adrv
fdrv
zdrv
puppy
initrd.gz
vmlinuz

Sage

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb 2017, 05:59    Post subject:  

Could be. I noticed an whole bunch of *.drv s being loaded by default during initial booting. Afraid my cognisance of the intricacies of SW is vanishingly small without explicit instructions. If there is more I should do, could this be included in a pre-boot options panel?
P.S. The F3 instructions are incomprehensible to dumb folk like me, particularly if you don't have a clear idea of what's coming up and what to expect. Whatever, I checked the boot-up lists again and ther adrv thing was included.
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:49    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Could be. I noticed an whole bunch of *.drv s being loaded by default during initial booting. Afraid my cognisance of the intricacies of SW is vanishingly small without explicit instructions. If there is more I should do, could this be included in a pre-boot options panel?
P.S. The F3 instructions are incomprehensible to dumb folk like me, particularly if you don't have a clear idea of what's coming up and what to expect. Whatever, I checked the boot-up lists again and ther adrv thing was included.

I'm assuming that you are booting from CD? Is this correct? Without a savefile or savefolder?

If so, there may be a difference in the adrv loading from CD compared to a frugal install to disk.....

I never ever boot from CD..... Sad

Page 39 of 51 [753 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 49, 50, 51 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: