LxPupSc: Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE build 13-Jun-2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

LxPupSc-17.02.1T

#581 Post by Marv »

Delta downloaded and 17.02.1T iso generated. 17.01.28 Grub4Dos frugal installs updated on both the core 2 duo laptop (4.9.6 kernel) and on the Pentium M laptop (keeping the 4.4.45 kernel). Both machines are running and suspending correctly, with all settings, connections, and glxgears FPS coming through unchanged. The time patch discussed above is now in the init. Great. Daily use now on my core 2 duo. I'm using QTWeb browser 3.8.5 (binary build with static QT) on LxPupSc other than for banking etc. now. Even on the Pentium M it's snappy!

cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#582 Post by Sage »

Yes, all very interesting and useful, all working OOTB - quite brisk, very flexible, but it's still confusing to be met by
Internet: U Light , which doesn't do anything
and
Get browser , which tells to get a browser,
then
PPM has a somewhat limited browser choice, any of which take an age to d/l and install from the (undisclosed) server source (nluug recommended, even for overseas users). Best opening gambit might have e.g. Dillo available at start-up (other minimalist broswers also available).

Not just my preference, but general consensus on a range of Fora is that Claws, although bigger, is a better email client, more comprehensive, more sophisticated, etc.
Notwithstanding, a valuable addition to the armoury, esp. with a refreshed .iso today.
Thanks!

peebee

#583 Post by peebee »

Sage wrote:but it's still confusing to be met by
Internet: U Light , which doesn't do anything
and
Get browser , which tells to get a browser,
I suspect you have not included the adrv in the install??

There are 6 files needed for LxPupSc:
adrv
fdrv
zdrv
puppy
initrd.gz
vmlinuz
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sage

#584 Post by Sage »

Could be. I noticed an whole bunch of *.drv s being loaded by default during initial booting. Afraid my cognisance of the intricacies of SW is vanishingly small without explicit instructions. If there is more I should do, could this be included in a pre-boot options panel?
P.S. The F3 instructions are incomprehensible to dumb folk like me, particularly if you don't have a clear idea of what's coming up and what to expect. Whatever, I checked the boot-up lists again and ther adrv thing was included.

peebee

#585 Post by peebee »

Sage wrote:Could be. I noticed an whole bunch of *.drv s being loaded by default during initial booting. Afraid my cognisance of the intricacies of SW is vanishingly small without explicit instructions. If there is more I should do, could this be included in a pre-boot options panel?
P.S. The F3 instructions are incomprehensible to dumb folk like me, particularly if you don't have a clear idea of what's coming up and what to expect. Whatever, I checked the boot-up lists again and ther adrv thing was included.
I'm assuming that you are booting from CD? Is this correct? Without a savefile or savefolder?

If so, there may be a difference in the adrv loading from CD compared to a frugal install to disk.....

I never ever boot from CD..... :(
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sage

#586 Post by Sage »

Ah ha! Yes, you are correct, booting .iso from CD. It's the way I prefer.

peebee

#587 Post by peebee »

Sage wrote:Ah ha! Yes, you are correct, booting .iso from CD. It's the way I prefer.
Have burnt a CD and booted it....

adrv installs correctly.....

Light-48 browser runs correctly....

So all is OK as far as I can tell....

Are you doing anything different??

Sage

#588 Post by Sage »

Um - no! Just the same as you, except Light doesn't run and installation of other browsers never seems to complete. Got pots of RAM(2.5Gb), XP2400+ cpu and similar overkill on everything else on my bench rig. But everything else runs OK. Tried all the usual settings & adjustments. plenty of bandwidth with >=18Mbs, single user. Can't think of anything else - it works, but it doesn't browse! This is not one of those temperamental systems, either, absolutely reliable for all-comers, except...
Tested it on a 64bit 754, loadsa non-standard stuff, everything worked, including Light, although Alien Bob's option panel didn't show (probably because unusual NIC needed a manual SNS start-up).
Stuck it back in the 32bit test-bed - NO LIGHT and infinite browser d/l attempts from PPM.
What machines have you been using?

jlst

#589 Post by jlst »

Kernel 4.1 is probably the best choice for a wide range of hardware. Of course not so new hardware.

I reckon that slackware 14.2 can be the universal box. But with some tricks.. adding extra xorg servers to be selected on first boot.

The extra xorg server that comes with lxpupsc is 1.11.4 from ubuntu precise hehe..

It's possible to make a Puppy come with more than 1 kernel (to be selected in the bootloader menu), and several xorg versions (to be selected on first boot, option 5).

Both steps can be implemented (hard work), or done manually (at least bootlader menu is easy to customize, there's some work to do for the xorgwizard to support more than 1 alternative xorg version.
Last edited by jlst on Fri 03 Feb 2017, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#590 Post by peebee »

Sage wrote:What machines have you been using?
My desktop AMD & Nvidia:

Motherboard Vendor: ASRock
Product Name: N68C-S UCC

BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: P1.60
Release Date: 09/19/2011

AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor
Max Speed: 3200 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:3200 MHz, 1:3200 MHz

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 3785 MB
Used RAM: 2589 MB
Free RAM: 1196 MB
Buffers: 231 MB
Cached: 1530 MB
Total Swap: 0 MB
Free Swap: 0 MB

Actual Used RAM: 828 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 2957 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

Display Specifications:
• Monitor VertRefresh: 60.00 times/s
• Screen Dimensions: 1368x768 pixels (414x232 millimeters)
• Screen Depth: 24 bits (planes)

Xorg Startup Log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
• Xorg Driver in use: nvidia
• Loaded Modules: dri2 fb glx libinput ramdac wfb
• X.Org version: 1.19.1

OpenGL 2D/3D Rendering:
• Direct Rendering: Yes
• Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
• Renderer: GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!
• Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.134

VGA controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] [10de:03d6] (rev a2)
• Kernel Driver: nvidia
• Memory Used: 10074.77 KB
• Description: N/A

Sage

#591 Post by Sage »

Yes, that's the problem. It seems to run OK on 64bit boards, which it should, but not 32bit for which it's designed. Do you have an old 32bit board to see if you can confirm my observations. (I can send you one, but would need enough of the other stuff, mem, vid, etc to run it up.). Sorry, no idea about SW, so that'll be your dept.

Sailor Enceladus

#592 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sage wrote:Yes, that's the problem. It seems to run OK on 64bit boards, which it should, but not 32bit for which it's designed. Do you have an old 32bit board to see if you can confirm my observations. (I can send you one, but would need enough of the other stuff, mem, vid, etc to run it up.). Sorry, no idea about SW, so that'll be your dept.
What happens if you type light in the terminal. Does it show an error message?

edit: Looks like it's compiled to use SSE2 like Pale Moon (?), which I don't see in the specs for your Athlon XP 2400+.

peebee

#593 Post by peebee »

This is my only operational board/cpu.....

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 6
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor
stepping : 3
microcode : 0x10000b6
cpu MHz : 1900.000
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nonstop_tsc extd_apicid eagerfpu pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt hw_pstate vmmcall npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bugs : tlb_mmatch fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs
bogomips : 6429.11
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

Sage

#594 Post by Sage »

# light
Illegal instruction
#Light
bash: Light: command not found

So, my offer stands. I can send you a working board or if you wish to drive down the M6/5/4 I can sort you out with an old box, possibly with a choice of nV or Radeon card. It would seem that in order to purvey an 32bit distro, we need to have a coder look through the, errr, code on a 32bit board. Sadly that cannot be me as I never could master that art. Of course, another benevolent coder may pop out of the woodwork with the answer?
Over to you...

Marv

#595 Post by Marv »

This is as old as I go. light starts from terminal or desktop. It is my standard Grub4Dos frugal install to a CF card in an IDE/CF card adaptor. The kernel is the alternate 4.4.45 one.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
Socket Designation: Onboard
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Voltage: 1.3 V
External Clock: 400 MHz
Max Speed: 1600 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:1200 MHz

Frequency governor : conservative
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq

▶—— /proc/cpuinfo ——◀

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
stepping : 6
microcode : 0x17
cpu MHz : 1600.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe bts est tm2
bugs :
bogomips : 3199.78
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Fri 3 Feb 2017 on LxPup-Sc 17.02.1 Linux 4.4.45-lxpup-32-pae i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

X Server: Xorg Driver: evdev
X.Org version: 1.19.1
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 852GM/855GM x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 13.0.2

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
Core 0: @800 MHz
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#596 Post by Sage »

It is my standard Grub4Dos frugal install to a CF card in an IDE/CF card adaptor
Don't understand your contribution to the present issue, Marv?
Your machine is old enough, so why didn't you try an .iso liveCD boot???

Billtoo

LxPupSc - Woof-CE, Slackware-14.2, LXDE experiment

#597 Post by Billtoo »

I applied the delta and generated the new iso, md5sum was correct so
burned to a DVD+RW

System: Host: puppypc28121 Kernel: 4.9.6-lxpup-32-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
Distro: LxPup-Sc 17.02.1
Machine: Device: desktop System: Apple product: iMac8 1 v: 1.0 serial: W8811GXLZE2
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F226BEC8 v: PVT serial: 1
BIOS: Apple v: IM81.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091538 date: 02/09/08
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8135 (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV610/M74 [Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 drivers: ati,vesa (unloaded: modesetting,radeon)
tty size: 110x38 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Broadcom Limited BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n driver: b43-pci-bridge
Card-2: Marvell 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Drives: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (1.6% used)
Weather: Conditions: 16 F (-9 C) - Scattered Clouds Time: February 4, 1:41 AM EST
Info: Processes: 171 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 151.4/4023.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

I installed some applications with PPM + compiled a few.

It's working pretty well but suspend doesn't work, seems okay
otherwise.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(135.38 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

Marv

#598 Post by Marv »

Sage wrote:
It is my standard Grub4Dos frugal install to a CF card in an IDE/CF card adaptor
Don't understand your contribution to the present issue, Marv?
Your machine is old enough, so why didn't you try an .iso liveCD boot???
As I read the posts, 32/64 bit was the most likely issue so possibly the Pentium M info might help. It's CD has long ago given up and the other Ms are out working so it wouldn't be possible to test that. I really thought it was relevant, sorry if you didn't. I won't post on that issue again.

Sage

#599 Post by Sage »

Marv: why do you need another machine? Would you like me to send you a CD of the latest .iso? All it needs is for someone to boot up a liveCD on any 32bit machine. This is a 32bit distro, so it has to be made to work on a 32bit machine to validate it. According to my testing it doesn't permit running 'Light' nor installing other browsers from the PPM in timely manner, so we need a second opinion for peebee.

Marv

#600 Post by Marv »

Sage wrote:Marv: why do you need another machine? Would you like me to send you a CD of the latest .iso? All it needs is for someone to boot up a liveCD on any 32bit machine. This is a 32bit distro, so it has to be made to work on a 32bit machine to validate it. According to my testing it doesn't permit running 'Light' nor installing other browsers from the PPM in timely manner, so we need a second opinion for peebee.
As I stated, the CD reader on that machine is broken. Sorry I wasn't more explicit.

Edit: Kevin was coming to town and brought Mary's Pentium M in from the farm. Perfect boot from CD. WPA2 wireless connection using Dougal, light starts and runs, posting from it now. Note the SSE2 flag in my post above, I am pretty sure that's the key. I think Sailor Enceladus noted that in an edit above also. Over and out.
Last edited by Marv on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 15:03, edited 2 times in total.