Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 03:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Defective 'remasterpup2' script in Barry's latest Quirkys?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb 2017, 09:37    Post subject:  Defective 'remasterpup2' script in Barry's latest Quirkys?  

Hi all,

Are/is there anyone out there who uses Barry's Quirkys 8.0 & above (Xenial and/or Slaq), via 'frugal installs', and has had success doing a remaster using Barry's included 'remasterpup2' script in /usr/sbin????

I've 2 Quirky Xenial (one 8.0, the other 8.1.6) frugal installs (USB & SDcard) + 1 Quirky Slaq (8.1.6) frugal install (diff USB), and I just tried to run (in all of them) the included 'remasterpup2' script. The remasterpup2 script fails to even get going, and immediately pops up the weird message as shown below. Anyone know what could be up and/or the problem? (and, yes, the requisite ISO for each is sitting in an attached, mounted USB waiting for the vmlinuz & init to be read, but the script cannot even get started as it pops up this weird message): [note in the pic: I even installed shino's well-tested remasterX.pet, but as far as I know it won't work with init's that are not ".gz", and all of Barry's inits are "initrd.q"...so....]
defective-remasterpup2-script.png
 Description   
 Filesize   249.23 KB
 Viewed   171 Time(s)

defective-remasterpup2-script.png

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb 2017, 10:23    Post subject:  

Well fix it and get it approved.
Puppy is a community project as I am sure you have been told before.

slavvo67

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2017, 19:28    Post subject:  

I'm not sure it's defective, so much as maybe it was an oversight to include it. I haven't tried it but I think this was made to remaster Puppy linux and not Quirky.

As you may know, Quirky has a Snapshot manager under Menu --> Filesystem. It's basically a restore at a certain point and not a remaster. Still, a useful utility.

I think that you might be looking for Quirky Universal Installer under Menu --> Setup. Not really sure, though and I haven't tested it.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2017, 20:21    Post subject:  

Quirky Werewolf (run from DVD) has a Save icon on the desktop. When clicked, one option it gives is to remaster onto a blank DVD. Of the three times I've tried to use this option, it has worked twice. It didn't work at all in one older Quirky I tried. (I can't remember which one, but I reported it at the time.) When remastering via Save fails, it seems to go through all the steps, but when the DVD pops out, nothing has been written to it.

It did this the last time but one that I tried to remaster (using the Save icon) Quirky Werewolf, however it did burn a good DVD when I tried again.

I have no idea how remastering works, but if i may make a suggestion, I'd rather it simply made a new iso in /tmp and left it up to me burn it onto a DVD (with burniso2cd or Pburn for instance.) The way it seems to work in Quirky right now, if Save fails, it doesn't seem to leave an iso anywhere. I have to Save all over again. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: