What version of Puppy Linux is most stable?

Booting, installing, newbie
mmand1c

What version of Puppy Linux is most stable?

#1 Post by mmand1c »

What version of Puppy Linux is most stable?And what version of Puppy Linux has least bugs?I really like the speed of Puppy,but Slacko64 6.3.2 has a lot a bugs.I would like to know if there is any version which is stable and beginner-friendly(I used Ubuntu).

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Either 605, 32 or 64 should be fine >> http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... -tahr/iso/

I say either because I doubt you'd notice the difference >> tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso << 32b
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

You should define "bugs" a little. Most versions of Puppy and Quirky are reasonably stable. Of course, there could be little bugs in any of them. There can also be issues due to things such as certain hardware you are using or the amount of ram available on your computer.

I think the quality control in Puppy has drastically improved over the years, though, as the team working on Woof-CE have taken the best from the past and updated it for the future.

Are you on a 32 bit computer or 64 bit? Do you have concerns with older distros? I would consider 666philb's Tahrpup or other offerings he may have as a reasonable starter of recent distributions. Limited ram on an older machine, 3 headed dog and UpUp Precise have been my favorites for quite sometime.

I'm sure quite a few people with chime in after me. Everyone has a favorite or two that are reasonably stable.

Good luck and remember, no software is perfect....

Slavvo67

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

How about telling us what the computer is.
Make and model?

You could be trying to use a version of Puppy that is not designed for the hardware.

What you are calling a bug may be a feature of Puppy.
If you expect Puppy to work exactly like Ubuntu, it does not! :shock:

Like any operating system, Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

but Slacko64 6.3.2 has a lot a bugs
That's -at least partially- true.

I didn't like Slacko Puppy from the first day I tried one (around the beginning of 2012).

Meanwhile I'd removed all of them from my drives.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Sailor Enceladus

#6 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Slacko 5.7 was pretty stable I think. T̶a̶h̶r̶p̶u̶p̶ ̶6̶.̶0̶.̶6̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶. I usually use Slacko 6.9.6.4 mainly because it uses Slackware 14.2 as a base, BUT I think some things in it are a bit wonky. I've learned to live with it's quirks.
Last edited by Sailor Enceladus on Thu 23 Feb 2017, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#7 Post by Moat »

One of my all-time favorites was Barry's last official "regular" Puppy - Precise 5.7.1 Retro. In years of quite regular use, I cannot recall it having ever frozen up on me. Remarkably stable, IMHO - no matter what I threw at it. Libs are still fairly recent (enough, usually), and I believe it's official Ubuntu repos are still being supported for another few months (mid-2017?).

Older libs, but my other all-time favorite, stable and 'everything just works' Pup is Carolina. Geoffrey's/Carolina's application repo is chock full of a fantastic range of great programs, too - with some sweet Carolina extras from forum member Battleshooter as well. Such a great pup, but showing it's age a bit with it's older libs/glibc. And I love the features Xfce offers!

Just my humble opinion.

Bob

mmand1c

#8 Post by mmand1c »

My CPU is AMD Sempron 140 , motherboard ASRock N68-S and 2GB of RAM.

I don't think that feature of operating system are crashing of Firefox and many missing libraries.

Maybe I am using version of Puppy that is not designed for my hardware.

Again I will ask my question , what is most stable version of Puppy?

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

mmand1c,

You have a lot of nerve asking that question, which, IMO, is a hair away
from being an outright insult to the main and even the serious amateur
devs in this community.

All devs here that I know do the utmost to publish "ex-factory" Puppies
with all bugs squished. Should an oversight be found, the users are quick
to report it, so the Puppies become better and better with the feedback of
the users.

Hey man, if you believe Puppy is buggy, get out of here on the double and
go find yourself another, absolutely bugless, distro. (Good luck with that!)

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mmand1c

#10 Post by mmand1c »

I don't want to insult anyone.This community is really good and I don't think that question like this should be insulting(especially when it isn't rude).I just think that some bugs in Slacko64 6.3.2 could be fixed and I think that community is doing everything they can.That is why I asked if there is any version of Puppy that is more stable.

P.S Many thanks to user Semme,who helped me with some bugs.

LazY Puppy

#11 Post by LazY Puppy »

mmand1c wrote:I don't want to insult anyone.This community is really good and I don't think that question like this should be insulting(especially when it isn't rude).I just think that some bugs in Slacko64 6.3.2 could be fixed and I think that community is doing everything they can.That is why I asked if there is any version of Puppy that is more stable.

Don't care for musher0.

This guy is a hoax in complete. After a very short time you'll get that clue by yourself. :wink:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

LazY Puppy wrote:
mmand1c wrote:I don't want to insult anyone.This community is really good and I don't think that question like this should be insulting(especially when it isn't rude).I just think that some bugs in Slacko64 6.3.2 could be fixed and I think that community is doing everything they can.That is why I asked if there is any version of Puppy that is more stable.

Don't care for musher0.

This guy is a hoax in complete. After a very short time you'll get that clue by yourself. :wink:
Lazy_Puppy?

Me, a complete hoax? :lol:

I meet you in the dark alley next to the forum in an hour for a duel to the
death. Your choice of weapons. Bring a witness. :twisted:

Best regards while you're still alive! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mostly_lurking

#13 Post by mostly_lurking »

mmand1c wrote:I don't think that feature of operating system are crashing of Firefox and many missing libraries.
I don't know about the Firefox crashes, but the missing libraries are indeed a "feature". Puppy is designed to be small, lightweight and fast; therefore many things that can be found in bigger distros like Ubuntu have been removed. Puppy does not include many of the libraries that Ubuntu has, because they are not needed to run the system. So when you install a new program, especially from a package that was not designed for your Puppy version, you may have to download a few extra libraries.

Ubuntu's approach of including lots of things by default is surely more convenient for the user, but it results in a much heavier system.

Sailor Enceladus

#14 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mmand1c wrote:Again I will ask my question , what is most stable version of Puppy?
You've gotten some answers already. Why not try them and report back? :) I can see what Lazy_Puppy is saying here.

oui

Re: What version of Puppy Linux is most stable?

#15 Post by oui »

mmand1c wrote:What version of Puppy Linux is most stable?And what version of Puppy Linux has least bugs?I really like the speed of Puppy,but Slacko64 6.3.2 has a lot a bugs.I would like to know if there is any version which is stable and beginner-friendly(I used Ubuntu).
if you used Ubuntu, you will meet about the same experiences and habits selecting one of those derivated from Ubuntu but possibly it will be more reactive depending of the power of your PC (for ex.: my laptop has 8 GB RAM, he can actually run each Puppy completely out the RAM! But it can run no Ubuntu out the RAM and running original Ubuntu, it have to load each program modul from Harddisk / stick. If I run Quirky all in the kernel, a derivate from Ubuntu Unicorn, no part of it is somewhere different as in the kernel :idea: ... That kernel is adequate big: 232 MB, and include the complete distribution! No part can be in or come from a different medium. Warning: That Quirky all in the kernel needs really a big PC with a lot of RAM but it is a good example to understand what is the difference between a distribution full installed in thousand separate modules on the HD, and a distro able to run entirely in RAM and developping itself out a compact kernel in the RAM! In the RAM it is after that also in thousand modules like original Ubuntu but the connections with memory of the RAM is a lot more fast than on the HD!).

artsown

#16 Post by artsown »

Among the more recent versions, FATDOG64 710 is a very solid pup. It
has its own unusual design, and seems "different" from other puppies.
IMO, it's worth it to spend time getting accustomed to it.

Art

rufwoof

#17 Post by rufwoof »

If you want stability go with Debian old-stable. In effect been through testing ... released generally - which was in effect a further period of testing by millions of people, billions of hours ... to then fall into long term support (security fixes only).The negatives of that are newer hardware might not be supported and you're running older versions of programs (stability/strongly tested go hand in hand with time). For speed, a puppy like frugal booted version of that works well. Main filesystem stored in squashed filesystem etc.

Which would currently mean DebianDog Wheezy. Personally however I'm running a puppy like Debian Jessie, which is the current stable, nearing end of life (soon to become old-stable). Pretty rock solid, with relatively few updates coming through as Stretch nears becoming the current stable (Jessie moves into old-stable). Jessie has a LTS phase that runs up to mid 2020 (after which most of the bugs will have been ironed out of Stretch and a transition over that would be appropriate as Stretch becomes old-stable (and Buster becomes the current stable at that time)).

Another negative however is that support for DebianDog (sort of puppified Debian) has ceased. As part of that being left high and dry I transitioned over to creating my own personal form of that, that's 99.9% pure Debian, but with a single additional script that flushes changes made during a session to disk (saves).

Debian is top of the tree, widely maintained and security patches tend to come through quickly. Combined with puppy like features (frugal booting etc.) ... best of both worlds - provided you don't mind not running with the latest versions of programs (content to run old well tested versions of programs). Provided you stick with just Debian repositories the system will be rock sold (the most stable possible choice).