Realtek RTL8188E Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

Semme

#21 Post by Semme »

Lack of firmware won't be a problem.

You not mentioning whether there's a Quickpet in the menus might..

==

When you reply, make it a fresh response. Don't undercut previous posts unless there's good reason.

As for your install, what have you got there, a frugal?

Have you got room for the devx and kernel source pkgs?

I ask because I know what you need and how to put it together.

What I don't (yet) have is a similar kernel, and the reason YOU should run the install.

It's not too difficult and you can toast yourself when it's over.

Reply back whether you're in or not.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Max Headroom

#22 Post by Max Headroom »

Sorry I Don't Understand what yoU mean by undercut, Truth is I was Distracted ( Sick 2day :oops: ) & it got Deleted B4 I could finish the Reply ( ie. Submit ).

it's a Fresh Full install on a 40 GB Hard D'Dr, just 640MB, 1.6 GHz Pentium 4, Toshiba Tecra 9100. Space isn't a problem.

I'm a Keen & Willing Student...

Your Patience is 2 be Applauded Semme

:)K

Semme

#23 Post by Semme »

Hey, down :D "under the weather" blows, so, no worries. Grab yerself a hot totty and I'll be back..

PS - You'll be storing these larger SFS pkgs on a Linux file system.. e.g., ext2/3?

You know how to copy'n paste with Urxvt?

Ala, rt-clk inside a directory and "Window" >> Terminal Here?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Max Headroom

#24 Post by Max Headroom »

Probably eXt3 if not eXt4, I'm away from it @ the mo...

I think I can cope w/ C & P

Lead the way Please Semme

Semme

#25 Post by Semme »

Three or four's fine -- good.

As your 2 of the three items you're gonna need, these are them:

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_linu ... .07.26.sfs

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_linu ... atched.sfs

==

Now, since browsers have a way of corrupting dwnlds, I'd suggest you take ROX and navigate to the directory where you'll store these, and when ready, rt-clk and "Window >> Terminal Here."

Hightlight, then copy'n (paste is your center mouse button, or right and left buttons simultaneously) this line:

Code: Select all

wget --no-check-certificate https://archive.org/download/Puppy_linux_ob_puppy/devx_obprecise_14.07.26.sfs https://archive.org/download/Puppy_linux_ob_puppy/kernel_src-3.9.11-patched.sfs
Once onboard, rt-clk and get'm "sfs_loaded."

Run this quick check after they're loaded:

which git
I don't need the output, just confirm it returned: /usr/bin/git.

The rest :wink: may have to wait till tmrw.

Max Headroom

#26 Post by Max Headroom »

Done Semme, awaiting Next instructions when yoU'Re ready 2Moro, Whenever that is in the World Hub :lol: Where on Earth is that? Or Even a Time Zone

Thanx

Semme

#27 Post by Semme »

For me, NYC, though, wherever you happen to be. It's relative. :wink:

Max, you'll be eth connected and running the build from the same system where this driver is required, correct?

Max Headroom

#28 Post by Max Headroom »

Relative True Semme
But Alas irrelevant since I'm an insomniac, Ostracised & Officially uneMployed, But w/ sum ideas... & getting on top of these Germs w/ the Help of James Beam Medicine.

Confirmed Semme I am Running the specimen Toshiba Tecra 9100 via Eth0, But there's a New News Development in that in the interim I've replaced the RTC Battery & Discovered that it already has a Dell Wireless Card that I'd Better use if I can get it going since it has only got 2 USB Ports & I've got another same Laptop But w/ a Different Wireless Card, so it'd be Appreciated if your Help Tutorial / instructions could be generic enough 2 allow 4 this & the Nano USB Adapters that I'll inevitably use in the Near Future w/ this ChromeBook Pup.

Actually My Job / Business Plan is about E.Waste Diversion, so your Help is quite Significant, Keeping NZ Green!

Semme

#29 Post by Semme »

Bummer! I was kinda hoping you'd hang in there long enough to see this 8188eu through.

==

OK, the box in question, and assuming Pups net manager wasn't able to see it:

lspci -nn | grep Network
As it appears you've got ROXTerm for a console, copy'n paste shouldn't be an issue.

PS - You're going to open a new topic once we spec your device.

perdido

#30 Post by perdido »

Just to bring some info for the 8188ETV network adapter discussion (since its not the issue any more and story is incomplete)

According to https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#supported-r8192-pci

r8188eu

The page HowToIdentifyADevice/USB explains how to identify a USB device.

The following list is based on the alias fields of modinfo r8188eu in Debian 3.16 (3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1) kernel images.

USB: 056E:4008 Elecom Co., Ltd (Device name unknown)
    USB: 07B8:8179 AboCom Systems Inc (Device name unknown)
    >>>> USB: 0BDA:0179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188ETV  Wireless LAN 802.11n Network Adapter <<<<
    USB: 0BDA:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter
    USB: 0DF6:0076 Sitecom Europe B.V. (Device name unknown)
    USB: 2001:330F D-Link Corp. (Device name unknown)
    USB: 2001:3310 D-Link Corp. (Device name unknown)
    USB: 2001:3311 D-Link Corp. (Device name unknown)
There is a driver compiled by rcrsn51 located here https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... 3.9.11.pet
For Open Box Precise Pup with kernel version 3.9.11

Its a piece of of the skami driver directory

Last edited by perdido on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

Max Headroom

#31 Post by Max Headroom »

Hey Thanx Both Perdido & Semme, it Works, No more Umbilical cord!

perdido

#32 Post by perdido »

Hi Max Headroom,
Glad it worked!

I thought you gave up on the RTL8188ETV and had decided to use the built-in wifi in your computer.

Semme was going to teach you to compile the driver - that would have been better than me feeding the forum a link.

Max Headroom

#33 Post by Max Headroom »

Yes indeed Perdido it would have been ideal 4 Me 2 Learn that Skill, But the Truth is that just prior 2 My trying rcrsn51 Driver, I got as far as identifying the Wireless Card Chip as being Orinoco CS, which the Network Wizard Warned didn't have WPA eNCryption, but that I could Test it by Manually Loading the Module which I did & indeed it only offers WEP & it's Nun of My Business 4 Me 2 be ReConfiguring the LandLadys' Wireless Router in the Boarding Haus that I'm staying in, so it's Circumstancial, However I could Hunt out another card & research its Security Capabilities & Try that because as it stands Now I've only got 1 Available USB Port, altho I'm aware that Obvious Work around is a USB Hub, But then again I've already spent Too Much time on this E.Waste Laptop & since Dismantling it 2 Clean & Lube the Cooling Fan & Change the RTC Battery, the Sound No longer works when it previously did! :cry: :?

All 4 the Cause of Keeping it Green!