Black desktop and no icons

Booting, installing, newbie
clickbrain

#1 Post by clickbrain »

I just rebooted my PC. I am running 2.13 off a 1 GB USB Key. All is workign well. Settings get saved. Surfing on WIFI and all applications are working, but my desktop is pitch black with no icons. I previously changed the background and tried since to do it again and nothing. Did some searches on the forums and found some references to PuppyPIN, etc., but mine has everything in it, so not sure what to do. Any help much appreciated.

Brad

Scoticus

#2 Post by Scoticus »

I similarly like you lost information when I rebooted. I requested information on a post "How may I delete the save file from my hard drive - SOLVED"

MU kindly posted a reply and by deleting the information I was once again able to start from scratch.

Perhaps this might be of assistance to you

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

if you open an rxvt terminal (Start menu, Run) and type (or paste) this, do you get any error messages?

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

clickbrain

Thanks to everyone for replies

#4 Post by clickbrain »

I found that if I run the Xorg setup, it resets itself back to what I had. That said,. this is a recurring issue for me - keeps happening and it seems like I am not the only one. Could be disconcerting for non-technical users. Is there a place to report bugs or does anyone have ideas for preventing?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

The same thing happened to me a few days ago. I forget the details, but I got the idea it was caused by something tricky I did with my browser (SeaMonkey.) I'm using Puppy from a multisession DVD. When I rebooted, the desktop was back but Yahoo mail beta wouldn't work until I rebooted and told Puppy to ignore the last saved session. That seems to have fixed it.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Bill_Gates

#6 Post by Bill_Gates »

Same thing here. All is running fine on v2.13 with Opera 9.02 installed, but sometimes when I boot off my 1gig Cruzer I get the black screen. Sometimes a reboot takes care of it. Sometimes I need to restart Xorg.

Not sure what causes it or exactly what it is I do to fix it. :?

-Bill

"Who needs Vista? Puppy rules!"

clickbrain

Well, I guess we ae posting in the wrong place

#7 Post by clickbrain »

will try to figure out where I should post this to get attention or to post a bug, since no one in the know is posting. :roll:

jonyo

#8 Post by jonyo »

I'm also getting a black screen..once in a blue moon so far that seems to correct with a reboot.

John Doe

#9 Post by John Doe »

Does this post help:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14201

Changing that setting fixed most of my pinboard/rox/jwm issues.

Kal

#10 Post by Kal »

Hi clickbrain

Did you ever try what Guest Too wrote?
Guest Too is a person in the know if anyone is.
In the past, the problem I had never needed a reboot, but a X restart, which happens to restart ROX desktop. Another Xorg configure was not needed either. I always still had JWM and it's tasktray and main menu. So you may have something else. Note below might be of interest.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14770

Good Luck, Kal