Using full email address for Puppy forum username?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
belham2

Using full email address for Puppy forum username?

#1 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

I've been staring at this today whenever I've come to the Puppy site, and I am trying to figure out why there isn't some sort of built-in block that prevents this person's email from being shown to everyone who happens across it. Surely this person did not want their full email shown (when signing up), right?? (Or is this a trap, as they want to find anyone stupid enough to email them so they can nab their email address for spam purposes???)
Attachments
full-email-on-display.png
(101.98 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

That's the first time I can remember someone using an email address for his forum login name. Thanks for pointing it out. He hasn't posted anything, so I disabled the account pending further discussion.

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

I've seen it a few times, myself. I don't know why some put their email address in the username field, and I'm not sure if any bots do it. (Edit: Okay, at least one bot did it.)

Searching the userlist for *.com pulls up 27 users ( :shock: ) who have done it (active, and inactive). *.co, three. *.net, eight. Although, to be fair, some of those are intentional website addresses.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

It is quite likely innocent ignorance!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

A website address makes sense. I can't think of a reason to use an email address. And then not to post anything. :?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Send one of them an E-mail and ask why they did it :idea:

Does it show up in their profile with the E-mail address in the name?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

bigpup wrote:Send one of them an E-mail and ask why they did it :idea:
I'm afraid I might be feeding a troll. I'd certainly be giving him my email address.
Does it show up in their profile with the E-mail address in the name?
Yes.

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Sometimes, I wonder if some of the users who have their email address as their username are expecting the search engines to pick it up. (The search engines won't be able to do it from the profile pages, but on the main page (and if they ever actually make any posts)? Sure.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

But to what end? To Google an email address, you'd have to enter the address. :?

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

I didn't say it made sense. :mrgreen:

I'm still trying to figure out why a spambot would do it. :roll: