no printing in Wary Puppy 5.5

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
oldguy_46ca

#1 Post by oldguy_46ca »

I am trying to get printing working on my Wary Puppy 5.5 system. It is a full install and shares the hard drive with Windows 98 (it's a hobby). The printers work on the windows side.
One printer is a Canon Pixma iP2200 connected to a USB port and the other is a networked HP OfficeJet 3830. hplip is installed. Root is my only logon.
If I try to print to either printer the lights blink indicating that the computer is communicating but the printing never starts.
If I look in /var/spool/cups there are files there with names like c00005 represented by icons that look like a gear and others that are pdf files with names like d00010-001. The printers are not named in the Cups directory.
/etc/cups/printers.conf is there but I cannot attach conf or even txt files. The printers are all listed in /etc/cups/ppd/.
/etc/cups/log has three logs including an error log.
It seems to me there must be one line somewhere that needs to be modified to tell the printers to go ahead and print but I don't know what it is.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

oldguy_46ca

#3 Post by oldguy_46ca »

I used the page on the link that you suggest (topic 59015) when I started out. How do you think I got this far? As I said, the computer is communicating with the printers. Both have the same issue even though they are from different manufacturers and are connected differently. To me it looks like all the files and drivers that are supposed to be there are.
I can email copies of my various configuration files to anyone who might be able to solve the problem because they know exactly what is supposed to be in them. Unfortunately I cannot attach these file types in this forum.
I sure don't feel like starting over again.

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

Perhaps it's a cups bug regarding only the full install. I would try to put in /root/Startup a script with execute permissions and named as you want (cups-fix for ezample):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
mount -t tmpfs -o size=10M tmpfs /var/spool/cups
/etc/init.d/cups restart & 
If it does not work then you should carefully read the errors logs in verbose debug mode.

oldguy_46ca

#5 Post by oldguy_46ca »

I created a file named cup-fix.sh using Geany and saved it in /root/Startup. I restarted the computer and tried to print that file from Geany to the Canon Pixma iP2200. In the dialog box that opened the Print button was momentarily greyed out while the printer's characteristics were discovered. A few seconds later when it became available I hit Print. The light on the printer began blinking. As I write this a few minutes later it is still blinking but no printing has occurred. The pdf file d00025.002 and the file c00025 (the type that has a gear as its icon) appeared in /var/spool/cups.
None of the log files including error.log in /var/cups/log have entries dated today.

oldguy_46ca

#6 Post by oldguy_46ca »

While I think it is important for any OS to be able to be easily set up to print I can live with this one's disability. If I have to I can either send documents to the network printer's email address or save them on a drive that the Windows side can read in a format that a Windows program can open and reboot into Windows. Thanks anyway.

rcrsn51

Re: no printing in Wary Puppy 5.5

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

oldguy_46ca wrote:While I think it is important for any OS to be able to be easily set up to print I can live with this one's disability.
Printing works fine in a full install of Wary 55 using both Canon and HP drivers.