woof-CE needs you

News, happenings
OscarTalks

#821 Post by OscarTalks »

Compiler is working for me in this Dpup Stretch. I compiled latest MPlayer with GUI from svn which is 37926

Yes it downloads the latest ffmpeg from master branch and links in statically. You have the option to link to system ffmpeg which would make it a lot smaller and would be OK since the system ffmpeg is very recent, but I chose not to do that.

No crash if I exit from full-screen using the Esc key, but usually I would use the "F" key to toggle in and out of full-screen anyway. If you press Esc twice the first exits full-screen and the second closes the program so best to use "F".

I have also substituted the patched version of Inkscape lite which was compiled in Wheezy.

The starter script for retrovol in /root/Startup needs a bit of sleep or it doesn't start. I gave it 4 seconds, might work with less.

Is there no network_tray or netmon_wce in this build?
Oscar in England

Billtoo

#822 Post by Billtoo »

OscarTalks wrote: Is there no network_tray or netmon_wce in this build?
Guess not, FbBox-4.1 (not available yet) allows adding CPU,memory monitor,Disk I/O,and Network Monitors that show info when you hover over with the mouse pointer.

I don't know if FbBox-4.0 has a similar feature.
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(32.52 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

belham2

#823 Post by belham2 »

ttuuxxx wrote:...How's the compiler?
Hi Ttuuxxx, I haven't had time to test compiling yet (it's Sunday, family time) in this dpup stretch but hoping to give it a go sometime this week. For the few moments I can sneak into my office today & look further at what was built, there are quite a few problems I am trying to take care of. The biggest is jwm is not entirely stable, something is going on when doing any changes and/or work on the menus and 2 trays I've set up. For instance, saving to the savefile, then watching jwm blank either the menus and tray1 back to default (where a lot of icons are missing--see reply below).

mavrothal wrote:
belham2 wrote:Finally,
Well done.
As with Billtoo's I see missing tray applets. What about menu/rox-desktop icons. Also/still missing?
Hi Mavrothal,

Icons (19) are missing in Menu because of the icons themselves not being present in /usr/share/pixmaps when jwm looks for them. I just copied icons from a stock folder of ~icons I keep and corrected everything. The icon problems (missing) are:

For the main 'Categories" in Menu:
--Desktop
--System
--Utility
--Fun
--Exit

For items in the overall Categories, these also are missing:

System----->Task Manager
Utility-------->PBackup and Sync
Utility-------->URXVT Terminal Emulator
File------------>File Manager PCManFM
File------------>Gdmap Graphical Disk Usage
Graphic----->PeasyScale JPEG Resizer
Graphic----->Screeny Capture Windows & Fullscreen
Business--->Xcalc Scientific Calculator
Network----->PcurlFTP file sharing
Internet----->HexChat
Internet----->Ssh-gui secure remote login
Multimedia->Pcdripper CD song ripper
Multimedia->Pmetatagger audio file tag editor
Multimedia->Retrovol sound mixer

Also, yes, the jwmrc-tray does not build right, with lots missing. I remedied most of them after the build, the only one still proving a bugger is the firewall tray icon. On the next try at building, I am going to fix this so the build does everything correctly.
Attachments
dpup-stretch-700-jwmrc-tray.png
(20.2 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

belham2

#824 Post by belham2 »

belham2 wrote: Also, yes, the jwmrc-tray does not build right, with lots missing. I remedied most of them after the build, the only one still proving a bugger is the firewall tray icon. On the next try at building, I am going to fix this so the build does everything correctly.

Actually, firewall_ng (or alien Bob's) + Peasy Firewall monitor seems to work well and look nice in dpup-stretch. For me, the jwmtray-functioning icons are now complete...I've no use for laptop battery asapm icon. So, just have to test by incorporating these additions/ corrections, plus the Menu icons mentioned in previous msg, into my next dpup-stretch stretch build. Nite all, it's late here....
Attachments
dpup-stretch-jwmrc-tray-complete.png
(23.65 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

OscarTalks

#825 Post by OscarTalks »

I am doing a manual remaster of the main stretch .sfs in order to see the changes. I took the Debian Stretch i386 build of Firefox ESR 45.7.0 and gathered all the files and directories in so everything is in /usr/lib/firefox as per usual. Debian have scattered things all over the place for some reason. Anyway with a .desktop file and a symlink in /usr/bin it is now running nicely as my default browser. It is definitely lighter than the official Mozilla build.

I tried netmon_wce but it would not compile. Looking at the thread we need to check with 01micko regarding the status of it.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100216

I have compiled and used a version of blinky network_tray 2.7.5 which has all important fixes as far as I know. It uses a cluster of .xpm icons rather than the .svg ones but it is the version I am still using in Wheezy and I prefer the appearance of it over the more recent ones anyway.
Oscar in England

musher0

#826 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

Those of you who like to work in urxvt instead of LxTerm may wish to
install (edited)
https://debian.pkgs.org/sid/debian-main ... 6.deb.html

rxvt-unicode_9.22 has lots of interesting features, including transparency,
ability to associate an icon with a script, and tabs (via already installed
perl libs).

The default urxvt is v. 9.05 from 2008. But of course it's up to you. jlst
did an excellent job with the Dpup Stretch-7, the above is not a criticism,
it's only a suggestion.

Should you get the error
‘rxvt-unicode’: unknown terminal type.
trying to run htop, mc, clear or whatever, add

Code: Select all

export TERM=xterm
at the bottom of /etc/profile and at the top of /root/.bashrc, and then
reinit X (your desktop) to get rid of the error permanently.

IHTH. BFN.
Attachments
urxvt-256-Stretch.jpg
Midnight Commander running in tab #2 of a urxvt-9.22 window.
(51.25 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Last edited by musher0 on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 04:16, edited 2 times in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

01micko

#827 Post by 01micko »

OscarTalks wrote:I tried netmon_wce but it would not compile. Looking at the thread we need to check with 01micko regarding the status of it.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100216
:lol: "but it would not compile".

Ok, error messages? Are required deps installed? (libiw perhaps? Shared is best but mikeb reports it compiles ok against static. I suspect that maybe wireless-tools is not included :?: as many distros have shifted to other wireless offerings, or perhaps the headers aren't installed as debian et-al have a habit of separate '_dev' packages).

The latest source is at petbuilds at git (includes mcewanw's ipv6 patch). https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/p ... netmon_wce.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

musher0

#828 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

FWIW, you may to look at your xerrs.log file for:
-- geany icon errors (this one I don't know how to solve);
-- missing GTK2 engines for your preferred GTK2 themes. For this one, I
have an 718 kB tar,gz archive of 24 if you need them.
├── 24-GTK2-engines.lst
└── engines
├── libaurora.so
├── libclearlooks.la
├── libclearlooks.so
├── libcrux-engine.la
├── libcrux-engine.so
├── libequinox.so
├── libglide.la
├── libglide.so
├── libhcengine.la
├── libhcengine.so
├── libindustrial.la
├── libindustrial.so
├── libmist.la
├── libmist.so
├── libmurrine.la
├── libmurrine.so
├── libnodoka.so
├── libpixmap.so
├── libredmond95.la
├── libredmond95.so
├── librezlooks.so
├── libthinice.la
├── libthinice.so
└── libubuntulooks.so

1 directory, 25 files
IHTH,
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#829 Post by musher0 »

Hello mick and all.

About the net monitor, the slacko-5.7 version works fine on my rig.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mavrothal

#830 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:...
Yeeesss :P

:lol:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#831 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:
01micko wrote:...
Yeeesss :P

:lol:
Yeah been busy but may be (maybe :lol: ) slowing a bit.

On the libiw (and possibly other related headers and libs) perhaps headers aren't being found because of different location to /usr/include? (Libs should be ok as there is a symlink to /usr/lib). In the headers case exporting the
CPPFLAGS='-I/dir/where/headers/live'
before running make may help. (as said error messages may be helpful... as all else is a stab in the dark.)

Or use the slacko-5.7 version for now thanks to musher0.

musher0

#832 Post by musher0 »

This new Dpup Stretch 7 pretty much offers everything a user may need
and want in a computer system.
Attachments
MyDpupStretch7-799x499.jpg
(56.33 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#833 Post by musher0 »

To whom it may concern:
** (ROX-Filer:30009): WARNING **: No Option for 'session_panel_name'!
when trying to create a ROX side panel. Also the panel disappears when you
hover over it with the mouse and reappears when you click on the backdrop.
First time I've seen such behavior.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

OscarTalks

#834 Post by OscarTalks »

01micko wrote:Ok, error messages? Are required deps installed? libiw perhaps?.
Well I booted back in to Stretch this morning and the source from git and also the 3.1 source from the thread now both compile successfully so I don't know what happened yesterday. Sorry about that. Some people have reported issues with the gcc 6 but other stuff was building yesterday. Need to try netmon_wce in place of network_tray now.
Oscar in England

musher0

#835 Post by musher0 »

musher0 wrote:To whom it may concern:
** (ROX-Filer:30009): WARNING **: No Option for 'session_panel_name'!
when trying to create a ROX side panel. Also the panel disappears when you
hover over it with the mouse and reappears when you click on the backdrop.
First time I've seen such behavior.

BFN.
Ticking "Panel stays on top" in ROX Options Compatibility panel solves it.
Attachments
PanelStaysOnTop,.jpg
(54.3 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#836 Post by musher0 »

There's approximately 37 Mg's of this in the xerrs.log after a couple of
minutes of trying to do stuff with notecase... Help!
(notecase:22153): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(notecase:22153): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(notecase:22153): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(notecase:22153): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(notecase:22153): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(notecase:22153): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels_with_length: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(notecase:22153): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

01micko

#837 Post by 01micko »

musher0 wrote:There's approximately 37 Mg's of this in the xerrs.log after a couple of

(notecase:22153): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

This is the sort of things that _can_ happen when everything is not built (or for want of a better term 'compiled') natively.

Slacko has been in development for several years now and stuff like this still happens.

On occasions it can be an upstream bug but more often than not it is an incompatibility with the compiled version of
the program in question and the upstream libraries.

This is why the petbuilds were developed, in an effort to minimise
this sort of carnage.

It is an attempt to make packages more 'compatible' with upstream so that these types of errors are less frequent.

The goal posts are forever moving so I don't expect that petbuilds will ever be perfect but at least we have a chance at chasing the
target with a reproducible system of building packages. By all means, if you feel inclined, make a fork of the repository and add your
inclusions. Better yet, join the woof-ce team and it can be arranged that you can have write access to the petbuilds repo and create
a separate branch for the dpup-stretch branch (or any other) of puppy. Or I can create a separate branch for dpup (or anything else)
upon request.

Footnote: learning git is a requirement!

OscarTalks

#838 Post by OscarTalks »

So netmon_wce is installed and working, only able to look at ethernet connection so far. The tray is starting to look normal, xload works if I add the couple of lines of code into .jwmrc_tray.

Does anyone else find that xcalc should be called xcrash because it crashes X ?

The MPV media player opens from menu as a window if you tweak the exec line in the .desktop file.
Oscar in England

Billtoo

woof-CE needs you

#839 Post by Billtoo »

It's beyond me to fix the missing items in the tray but it looks like
they will be fixed soon by someone with the knowhow.
The latest Gkrellm with lots of plugins available in PPM and
it gives lots of info at a glance.
Yes, xcalc is actually xcrash :)
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(117.01 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

musher0

#840 Post by musher0 »

01micko wrote:
musher0 wrote:There's approximately 37 Mg's of this in the xerrs.log after a couple of

This is the sort of things that _can_ happen when everything is not built (or for want of a better term 'compiled') natively.

Slacko has been in development for several years now and stuff like this still happens.

On occasions it can be an upstream bug but more often than not it is an incompatibility with the compiled version of
the program in question and the upstream libraries.

This is why the petbuilds were developed, in an effort to minimise
this sort of carnage.

It is an attempt to make packages more 'compatible' with upstream so that these types of errors are less frequent.

The goal posts are forever moving so I don't expect that petbuilds will ever be perfect but at least we have a chance at chasing the
target with a reproducible system of building packages. By all means, if you feel inclined, make a fork of the repository and add your
inclusions. Better yet, join the woof-ce team and it can be arranged that you can have write access to the petbuilds repo and create
a separate branch for the dpup-stretch branch (or any other) of puppy. Or I can create a separate branch for dpup (or anything else)
upon request.

Footnote: learning git is a requirement!
Hi Mick.

Thanks for the "words to the wise" above and for the invitation to join the
woof-CE group. I'll try to understand how git works once more.

I'll give recompiling notecase 1.9.8 for the Dpup Stretch-7.0a1 a go later
today. Because notecase's versatility is hard to beat.

In the meantime, strictly for note taking, if people are in a jam, there's
-- MyNoteX: https://sites.google.com/site/mynotex (this one is "install and go")
-=>» Except for French users, please see here on how to correct the
"invisible" menu bug in the French version:

https://sites.google.com/site/mynotex/bugs-report «<=-

-- Elephant: http://elephant.mine.nu (same if you already have a java JRE)
I've experimented a bit with the two and they seem quite good, IMO.

But there is no shortage of such programs:
http://alternativeto.net/software/notec ... form=linux
Your pick! :)

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~