If we're going to put The Dpup Stretch 7 through its paces, perhaps we
could ask Flash to create a separate thread for it starting when Billtoo offers
the download URL for it (+/- the middle of page 54 above):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#944973

Just a thought.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#842 Post by musher0 »

@OscarTalks:

xcalc is ok here. (Please see attached pic.)
But SFR's Take-a-Shot is giving me a hard time, freezing everything! :(

BFN.
Attachments
xcalcOkHere.jpg
(55.89 KiB) Downloaded 698 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#843 Post by musher0 »

Some improvement on notecase with a fresh compilation on DpupStretch
of the gdk-pixbuf library

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... o3kVs0Hvgy
(I've got the NLS and DOC pets too if needed.)

With this new gdk-pixbuf-2.36.5 library, notecase is still jammed for most
writing operations, but it stopped shooting Mb's of error messages to
xerrs.log.

As to trying to recompile notecase, I get what's in the attached pic.
I think this is a job for a more experienced person.

IHTH. BFN.
Attachments
notecase-make-failure.jpg
(54.69 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

belham2

#844 Post by belham2 »

musher0 wrote:@OscarTalks:

xcalc is ok here. (Please see attached pic.)
But SFR's Take-a-Shot is giving me a hard time, freezing everything! :(

BFN.

Hi Musher/Oscar and all,

Xcalc works fine for me too.

Also, I just dragged Take A Shot into /usr/sbin/, made a .desktop file along with new camera.svg in pixmaps, and it works great. In fact, it's what I've been using when I post pics of the dpup-stretch. On my end, are you guys seeing anything funny going on with PPM? First thing I noticed, is everything that is listed (after updating the repos lists) is that PPM says all of it is "already installed"? but it's not, still PPM says this. Also weird, as a test I downloaded something from PPM, installed it, and soon as it installed, jwmrc-tray resets itself (losing all the modifications I had done to it for freemapapplet, blinky, xload and firewall. I am am forced to open the .backup of .jwmrc-tray and re-copy it to the the main .jwmrc-tray.

Also, I am seeing a few Menu things not working, like HTOP. but I figure it is just simple .desktop error entries like Oscar saw in one of them, so I haven't gotten around to them yet. But this PPM to install to jwmrc-tray re-setting is weird stuff....I can't stop it if the PPM is involved.

I compiled one thing today, redshift, to get the version that is from Github (and that Fred uses in the DebianDogs). Redshift compiled well and works. Thus I'll try to compile some increasingly more dependency-tied stuff over the next few days. I'm not sure whether to stick with firewall_ng + Peasy Firewall Monitor versus doing what Oscar did with Netmon...as things stand, I have full active internet connection & settings & live monitoring in the jwmrc-tray (as shown in the pics on the previous page of this thread).

musher0

#845 Post by musher0 »

Hi belham2.

Of course you could NOT use jwm :shock: , and try wmx, pekwm, icewm
or even echinus? (Now where's that tongue-in-cheek icon?!) :lol: 8)
Ha! No jwm on a Puppy: dream on, musher0 !!! :twisted:

But seriously:
it's weird that some apps within Dpup Stretch-7 work fine on some rigs
and not on others. I wonder what causes that?

In the same line of thought, could you or someone try running notecase
on your machine? It'll probably work like a charm, too, just to spite me !!! :twisted:

I'd like to get to the bottom of this bug ASAP. It's sort of crucial that we
get notecase running ok, because it's the default app our editor
Smokey01 uses for the PupLin newsletter.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Billtoo

#846 Post by Billtoo »

musher0 wrote: In the same line of thought, could you or someone try running notecase
on your machine? It'll probably work like a charm, too, just to spite me !!! :twisted:

I'd like to get to the bottom of this bug ASAP. It's sort of crucial that we
get notecase running ok, because it's the default app our editor
Smokey01 uses for the PupLin newsletter.
Works here.

Also got pcmanfm to work by installing libfm_qt3_0.11.2-1 along with the other qt dependecies that show on the PPM screen when you search for pcmanfm.

Got htop working by editing the .desktop file to have "lxterminal -e htop"

Having fun anyways :)
Attachments
NoteCase.jpg
(29.01 KiB) Downloaded 620 times

musher0

#847 Post by musher0 »

Hi Billtoo.

Yes but try writing anything in notecase: that's when it went weird. Also are
you sure you don't have 50 megs of error messages in /tmp/xerrs.log due
to notecase?

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Billtoo

#848 Post by Billtoo »

musher0 wrote:Hi Billtoo.

Yes but try writing anything in notecase: that's when it went weird. Also are
you sure you don't have 50 megs of error messages in /tmp/xerrs.org due
to notecase?

BFN.
I see that it's not working properly here either, sorry.
Attachments
xerrs.log.jpg
(75.08 KiB) Downloaded 596 times

6502coder

#849 Post by 6502coder »

As I mentioned previously on the Puppy newsletter thread, Notecase 1.9.8 does not work correctly on my Xenial-based LXLE system, even though it worked fine on the earlier Precise-based LXLE system. It installs and runs, but it's unusable. Surely a case of outdated libraries.

Simply compiling against newer libs doesn't always work. If the API has changed, e.g. if function names have changed, or their arguments have changed, then nothing short of revising the old source code is going to fix the problem.

OscarTalks

#850 Post by OscarTalks »

I have got the firewall running in Stretch 7.0.0 and also the firewallstatus tray icon which is in the 01micko petbuilds.

There are some iptables dependency libs missing. I began tracking these down by running firewallsatus from terminal, but it is just a case of plucking them out of the .debs and installing them in /usr lib.

I did also have to make a symlink.
A script is looking for the iptables binary in /usr/sbin but in fact it is in /sbin and is already a symlink to xtables-multi
Seems it is full-path specific so after I created the symlink from /sbin to /usr/sbin it all worked.

My tray now has clock (with minixcal), xload, firewallstatus, netmon_wce, freememapplet and retrovol. Will probably add pmcputemp as well.
Attachments
stretch-tray.jpg
Getting there with the tray stuff in Stretch
(9.59 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
Oscar in England

ttuuxxx

#851 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ok Guys I made a new thread for us to work on Debian Stretch Ascii http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 334#945334
feel free to continue there with fixes, issues problems etc.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

belham2

What would cause this?

#852 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Did a woof-CE build last night, using Xenialpup64 with the latest "big" kernel. Selected the standard choices when presented with questions/options, and, afterward, when the ISO was done, frugally installed it. Booting up, I was greeted with the pic below. All icons/launching of them works within the Menus. But anything on the desktop and/or inside any opened Rox window, is dead----all files, formats, pics, etc, you just receive an error message trying to click on them of either the file format is not recognized, or the location does not exist. Heck, even the "Backgrounds", at least with the defaults that are in there, ROX says they do not exist, yet it puts a red triangle/exclamation mark on them all (and everything else too). I've tried, in a ROX window, going into ROX, Options, Types, and making sure the Theme is set to "ROX', but no luck.

In attempt to learn how something like this happened (I've done many builds over the past few months, of various types, and this is the 1st time I've ever seen this happen)...so in an attempt to learn, what is missing and what went wrong that would cause this? Is it a ROX MIME problem, PuppyPin, or nothing to do with ROX???? I can't figure out how everything, icons, clicking on them & they actually work, is "ok" in the MENU. But in ROX and on the DESKTOP, all is completely kaput. (ROX is fully installed, and the logs have no mention of anything, so I'm not sure where to look--Google and searching the forum didn't yield much of anything that worked to solve this problem).

Thanks!
Attachments
new-default-xenialpup64-build-gone-haywire.png
(67.5 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

musher0

#853 Post by musher0 »

Proper gdk is missing, probably.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

belham2

#854 Post by belham2 »

musher0 wrote:Proper gdk is missing, probably.
Thank you, Musher! :wink: I put "gdk" into my google-murga search and it led me to the thread with the answer by rcrscn51 on what was/is going on:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107378

Yes, it was gdk, and I just needed to open a terminal and type in 'gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache' command, run it, create a savefile so the changes gdk-pixbuf-query changes made to cache were saved, and rebooted. And all wask fixed upon the reboot. Now I have a somewhat limited understanding of gdk-pixbuf and cache.

Thanks again!

musher0

#855 Post by musher0 »

Glad to have been of help, belham2.

IMO, the Superior Power at woof-CE who forgot this basic item needs proper
punishment!!! :twisted:

Water drop? Flogging? :lol:
Nah. How about we ask the CIA for more original suggestions? :wink:

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Sailor Enceladus

#856 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Slackware 14.1 and 14.2 have updated to Firefox 52esr. I thought this would cause problems, but interestingly, the browser still opens in Slacko, and sound still works! It looks like the Slackware team compiled their Firefox 52 with gtk2 and alsa. :D

Code: Select all

Configure options

--enable-application=browser --disable-tests 'CC=gcc -B/root/slackware-14.2/mozilla-firefox/gold' 'CXX=g++ -B/root/slackware-14.2/mozilla-firefox/gold' --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 MAKE=make --disable-accessibility --enable-alsa --enable-cpp-rtti --disable-crashreporter --enable-official-branding --enable-optimize=-O2 --enable-startup-notification --enable-strip --libdir=/usr/lib --prefix=/usr --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib/firefox-52.0.2 --with-system-zlib
Last edited by Sailor Enceladus on Sat 08 Apr 2017, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#857 Post by 01micko »

This is the kludge that creates a symlink for the gdk pixbuf loader cache:

#110622 /etc/rc.d/rc.update executes:  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
#however, mageia1 requires above file to be at /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
#create a symlink...
VERDIR=''
if [ -d rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 ];then
 [ ! -f rootfs-complete/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders ] && touch rootfs-complete/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
 PIXBUFLOADERSDIR="`find rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -maxdepth 2 -mindepth 2 -type d -name loaders | head -n 1`"
 if [ "$PIXBUFLOADERSDIR" ];then
  PIXBUFCACHEDIR="`dirname $PIXBUFLOADERSDIR`"
  VERDIR="`basename $PIXBUFCACHEDIR`" #2.10.0
  ln -snf ../../../../etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders ${PIXBUFCACHEDIR}/loaders.cache #110903 change -s to -snf
  #there may be some loaders in wrong place...
  [ -d rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gtk-2.0/loaders ] && mv -f rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gtk-2.0/loaders/*.so ${PIXBUFLOADERSDIR}/ 2>/dev/null
  if [ -d rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gtk-2.0/${VERDIR}/loaders ];then
   mv -f rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gtk-2.0/${VERDIR}/loaders/*.so ${PIXBUFLOADERSDIR}/ 2>/dev/null
   rmdir rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gtk-2.0/${VERDIR}/loaders #111114
   ln -s ../../gdk-pixbuf-2.0/${VERDIR}/loaders rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gtk-2.0/${VERDIR}/loaders #111114
  else #111117
   ln -s ../../gdk-pixbuf-2.0/${VERDIR}/loaders rootfs-complete/usr/lib${lsuffix}/gtk-2.0/${VERDIR}/loaders
  fi
 fi
fi
This is a hangover from woof2 and probably should be simply deleted.

Code in /etc/rc.d/rc.update should then be changed to :

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache
I remember having a tussle with Barry over this circa ~2011 because he was supporting 'legacy' stuff which was fine but I came up with a viable alternative which he rejected. I can't remember exactly the code but it was
something like if [ old stuff ] then do the symlink gymnastics else do nothing fi and change /etc/rc.d/rc.update similarly.

Maybe belham2's symlink didn't get created.

Anyway, I might revive 'rationlise' branch and fix this and implement some other ideas.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sailor Enceladus

#858 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

When building a Slackware 13.37 and 14.0 science experiment, selecting kernel 2 (3.12.21) in 3builddistro-Z always picked 24 (4.9.15). I circumvented the issue by downloading 3.12.21 from ibiblio instead. :twisted: (This was using the testing branch as base)

belham2

#859 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:When building a Slackware 13.37 and 14.0 science experiment, selecting kernel 2 (3.12.21) in 3builddistro-Z always picked 24 (4.9.15). I circumvented the issue by downloading 3.12.21 from ibiblio instead. :twisted: (This was using the testing branch as base)

Sailor,

I am sure you already know this, but one of the things I learned in messing with the build process is you can make the ./3 step use any kernel you want IF you modify the kernel-kit folder (configs_x86_64, the dot-config file) and also make sure to modify line 20 in the "build.conf" pointing to it. Then, Bob is your uncle as it will throw that specified kernel into the build process whether it, lol, works or not. Nothing like that word "testing" in the woof-CE process, haha :) If you don't do this, the build process will throw the default kernel in there no matter what you choose in the build process choice for kernel selection. The woof-CE build process is finicky as heck with some builds...sounds like you found another!

P.S. I've manually done it the way you did (downloading one and putting it in the "huge-kernel" folder) with a few kernels & builds...the key is getting that dot-config file in there (the kernel-kit/'appropriate 'configs......' folder) or robbing a dot-config from another distro :)

Billtoo

woof-CE needs you

#860 Post by Billtoo »

I did another Slacko-6.9.6.4 build, re-ran ./3builddistro-Z

System: Host: puppypc1670 Kernel: 4.4.59-4G i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2 Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.9.6.4
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial:
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 Bios: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 driver: radeon tty size: 150x50 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (6.0% used)
Weather: Conditions: 48 F (9 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: April 2, 1:42 PM EDT
Info: Processes: 195 Uptime: 34 min Memory: 179.0/3281.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0

Works well so far.

########################################################################
Edit:I did 2 other builds yesterday

System: Host: puppypc22058 Kernel: 4.10.8-4G i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2 Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.9.6.4
Machine: System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial:
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 Bios: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa)
tty size: 142x50 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (11.7% used)
Weather: Conditions: 54 F (12 C) - Overcast Time: April 2, 4:17 PM EDT
Info: Processes: 159 Uptime: 32 min Memory: 150.6/3153.3MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0
# uname -ra
Linux puppypc22058 4.10.8-4G #1 SMP Sat Apr 1 14:28:25 EDT 2017 i686
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
#

System: Host: puppypc24716 Kernel: 4.9.20-4G i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2 Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.9.6.4
Machine: System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial:
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 Bios: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 driver: nvidia tty size: 130x43 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 562.5GB (16.1% used)
Weather: Conditions: 55 F (13 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: April 2, 6:27 PM EDT
Info: Processes: 167 Uptime: 1:31 Memory: 237.4/3152.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0
# uname -ra
Linux puppypc24716 4.9.20-4G #1 SMP Sat Apr 1 21:27:45 EDT 2017 i686
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
#

They all work well (so far at least), the proprietary nvidia driver won't compile with
the 4.10.8 kernel but did with the 4.9.20 kernel.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(38.83 KiB) Downloaded 943 times