Zoom Video Conferencing software

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
ndujoe1

Zoom Video Conferencing software

#1 Post by ndujoe1 »

This is just a request, no harm no foul, if it can't be filled.

Our computer club uses Zoom Video Conferencing software for its meetings.
www.zoom.us/

I use puppex Tahr 6.05 64 bit Puppy.

I choose the easy way and downloaded the ubuntu version of this software. It installed without issues but of course there is a dependency missing.

libxcb-image.so.0

I searched for a like name in my puppy systems files but found none.

Any advice suggestions or should I just let it go.

Thanks.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

ndujoe1

#3 Post by ndujoe1 »

Thanks for your url. However I am heading down a dependency rat hole, another is identified now. So I will turn in my cards while I am ahead :)

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

ndujoe1 wrote:Thanks for your url. However I am heading down a dependency rat hole, another is identified now. So I will turn in my cards while I am ahead :)
That's typical. Just keep at it until you find them all.

slavvo67

#5 Post by slavvo67 »

Isn't Zoom a web-based application. I'm just curious as to why the ubuntu package is needed? Also, if you provide the link to the Ubuntu package, maybe someone else will install and go through the dependency hell.....

ndujoe1

#6 Post by ndujoe1 »

No it is not web based. I works fine on Windows, Android and IOS.

Say I follow this dependency path, How can I put together a complete set for other Puppylinux users so that they don't have to follow this path again when I get it working.

dancytron

#7 Post by dancytron »

ndujoe1 wrote:No it is not web based. I works fine on Windows, Android and IOS.

Say I follow this dependency path, How can I put together a complete set for other Puppylinux users so that they don't have to follow this path again when I get it working.
Keep copies of all the *.deb files that you use. When you have it working, then use PADS (or manually) and create an sfs file. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81511

That usually (well at least often) works.

ndujoe1

#8 Post by ndujoe1 »

OK thanks

RickGT351

#9 Post by RickGT351 »

There have been changes at Ubuntu. That link now brings up an error page. The "old" Ubuntus have moved to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ and conveniently, there is no trusty stuff there - at least that I could find
Update: I found the file here https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/14.04/ubuntu-ma ... 64.deb.htm
Note: It might pay to bookmark https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/14.04/ as we may need it.

RickGT351

#10 Post by RickGT351 »

There have been some changes at Ubuntu
now brings up an error message. The "old" Ubuntus have moved to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ and conveniently, there is no trusty stuff there - at least that I could find
Update: I found the file here https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/14.04/ubuntu-ma ... 64.deb.htm
Note: It might pay to bookmark https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/14.04/ as we may need it.
Last edited by RickGT351 on Tue 28 May 2019, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

RickGT351

#11 Post by RickGT351 »

Note to Admins: If I do an edit, the post becomes invisible. Hence the 3 or 4 blank posts above this one. If I click Edit on any of those posts, the text is still there but no one else can read it

RickGT351

#12 Post by RickGT351 »

I downloaded the deb file from zoom by choosing Ubuntu and in my case, the default options. After it downloaded, I clicked on the deb file and it installed ok and runs
ndujoe1 wrote:Thanks for your url. However I am heading down a dependency rat hole, another is identified now. So I will turn in my cards while I am ahead :)

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Rick:-
RickGT351 wrote:Note to Admins: If I do an edit, the post becomes invisible. Hence the 3 or 4 blank posts above this one. If I click Edit on any of those posts, the text is still there but no one else can read it.
Check the text of your messages very carefully.....especially any URLs you may have used.

You must make sure there are no spaces at either end, either after the front , or before the end. I had this catch me out no end of times before I figured out what was wrong. I always enter URLs manually now, including the BB code at both ends.

Here's what I mean (this is a screenshot of the 'problem' entries written with Leafpad). If I entered these directly in this post then it, too, would 'disappear'! (Which would kinda defeat the whole point of posting it in the first place....)

[Click to enlarge]

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 28 May 2019, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

RickGT351

#14 Post by RickGT351 »

Great news: Zoom works no problems with Xenial pup64. Just download and install. If you click on a link in the broswer it asks if you want to run Zoom.
Very pleased :)

RickGT351

#15 Post by RickGT351 »

Thanks Mike, I finally managed to get one of my blank posts to show up

peebee

#16 Post by peebee »

RickGT351 wrote:Note to Admins: If I do an edit, the post becomes invisible. Hence the 3 or 4 blank posts above this one. If I click Edit on any of those posts, the text is still there but no one else can read it
Your s are misformed..... forum is very sens ... [url] and and start again using preview to check
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

d4rkn1ght

#17 Post by d4rkn1ght »

Has anyone got this working in good old Tarhpup64 6.0.5.

Just playing around with one of my old laptops.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

RickGT351 wrote:Note to Admins: If I do an edit, the post becomes invisible. Hence the 3 or 4 blank posts above this one. If I click Edit on any of those posts, the text is still there but no one else can read it
That's because you screwed up the url tags (you left out a few of the ending ones.) The forum is very sensitive to that. I fixed your first post.

fernan

#19 Post by fernan »

Hello. I was not so lucky to just download, install and use Zoom...

Installed the Ubuntu deb package from zoom download site, in tahrpup 32 bit and in bionicpup 64 bit, in both versions I get an error related to
pactl: command not found
and
Can't load/root/.config/zoomus.conf
Also, I have the /opt folder in another partition, linked to /opt. The installer deleted the link and created a new /opt folder, so I had to link again to the rest of the applications in that folder.

Is there a simple way to run Zoom in tahrpup 32 bit or bionicpup 64 ?

What did you do to have it running? I could download and install any frugal puppy, any version able to run Zoom, just for this purpose in this days.

Thanks very much.

ndujoe1

#20 Post by ndujoe1 »

It is possible to run zoom completely from your Web browser without an an install. I have done so on a few occasions.

Go to https://zoom.us/test and follow the prompts as you attempt to open up a test zoom meeting. It will ask you to enable:

[b]Open xdg-open[/b] and it will fail, then in that screen at the bottom is says:

If nothing happens prompts from browser click [b]here. [/b]It will ask you to [b]Open xdg-open again[/b] which will fail and at the bottom of that screen there is:

If you cannot download or run the application, [b]join from your browser[/b]