Just-Lighthouse64-603/604

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
eztuxer

#381 Post by eztuxer »

Good day,

I can install it on an EXT4 partiton.
So far I have no problem installing on a USB 8Gb stick, I am using it JLH64 daily.
If only I could have it to write a JLH64.savefile on the stick, or on the HDD.
I also have fat dog 64 on another EXT4 partitiion, it is bootable from the refind "window$" boot menu,
YES this Medion AKOYA AMD A4 note book came with windblows 8.1 junkware installed and and got replaced by Linux Mint a few days later.
Is there a soft that emulates a DVD writer with a USB stick ?
We will find a work around.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Dry Falls

#382 Post by Dry Falls »

Ok, no problem. I think what you mean is an entry in the "refind "window$" boot menu" which is either grub.cfg, isolinux.cfg or syslinux.cfg. Unlike older grub installs which write to menu1st or BarryK's swell install system, you have to make the entry manually. look at the grub.cfg or isolinux.cfg on the iso and select the lines (or edit them) you would want to use and copy them to the file you boot from (in drive ESP, likely). I think the language in isolinux.cfg and syslinux.cfg is the same but grub is way different.

You can make a refind/EFI partition on the usb stick with lighthouse Universal Installer in menu -> setup and click UEFI. This fakes the machine into thinking it is an optical drive and if your boot order in the firmware configuration (aka 'bios') is set to boot peripherals first, that boot menu will come up instead of the usual one. The only problem is that it is read-only so you can't make changes to the boot menu which last beyond the session. You can, however, make a new menu and remaster lighthouse for a different iso.

Anyway, I've had no problems making save files to the hdd or usb stick with JL64. It should behave like any puppy in that regard.

If any of that makes sense! Others I'm sure could say it better. When I got this box, it took me three months to boot fatdog 631, and that's about the easiest 64bit pup-like system to get started on!

df

eztuxer

#383 Post by eztuxer »

Some files I found :

/media/sda2/EFI/ubuntu/grub.conf

Code: Select all

search.fs_uuid 85f41687-869a-462f-a6ad-3ece6af0d77b root hd0,gpt6 
set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
/media/sda2/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

/media/sda2/EFI/ubuntu/grub.conf
search.fs_uuid 85f41687-869a-462f-a6ad-3ece6af0d77b root hd0,gpt6 
set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
etc/rc.d

EXTRASFSLIST='5-JL64_604.sfs Devx-JL64_604.sfs Xfce-4.10.0-1-x86_64-1.sfs kcompile-JL64-1.0.sfs kernel_sources-4.1.6-JL-x86_64.sfs'
PREVUNIONRECORD='JL64-604.sfs'
LASTUNIONRECORD='JL64-604.sfs 5-JL64_604.sfs Devx-JL64_604.sfs Xfce-4.10.0-1-x86_64-1.sfs kcompile-JL64-1.0.sfs kernel_sources-4.1.6-JL-x86_64.sfs'
COPYEXTRASFS2RAM='yes'
SFSAUTO=''
SFSCFG=''
NOSFS=''
I will have more time this evening and week-end...

eztuxer

#384 Post by eztuxer »

...and now this on /media/sda1 (ntfs) :

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.8.0
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
#splashimage=/splash.xpm
timeout 10
default 0

# Frugal installed Puppy

title JL64 604 (sda5/JL64604frugal)
  uuid A3EA-B4F4
  kernel /JL64604frugal/vmlinuz   psubdir=JL64604frugal pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /JL64604frugal/initrd.xz

title JL64 604 (sda7/ex-JL64604frugal)
  uuid 7316-3AB4
  kernel /ex-JL64604frugal/vmlinuz   psubdir=ex-JL64604frugal pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /ex-JL64604frugal/initrd.xz

title JL64 604 (sda7/JL64-livecdbuild)
  uuid 7316-3AB4
  kernel /JL64-livecdbuild/vmlinuz   psubdir=JL64-livecdbuild pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /JL64-livecdbuild/initrd.xz

title Fatdog64 (sda5/boot)
  uuid A3EA-B4F4
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz   psubdir=boot pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /boot/initrd

title Fatdog64 (sda5/boot)
  uuid A3EA-B4F4
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz   psubdir=boot pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /boot/initrd

# Full installed Linux

title Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (sda6)
  uuid 85f41687-869a-462f-a6ad-3ece6af0d77b
  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro
  initrd /initrd.img

title Linux boot (sda8/boot)
  uuid 12f28943-83bc-4b10-814d-fdf8530d82b8
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 ro
  initrd /boot/initrd.gz

title Linux boot (sda8/boot)
  uuid 12f28943-83bc-4b10-814d-fdf8530d82b8
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 ro
  initrd /boot/initrd.gz

# Windows
# this entry searches Windows on the HDD and boot it up
title Windows\nBoot up Windows if installed
  errorcheck off
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd  /bootmgr
  chainloader /bootmgr
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd  /ntldr
  chainloader /ntldr
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd   /io.sys
  chainloader /io.sys
  errorcheck on

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
  configfile /menu-advanced.lst
  commandline
So many puppies everywhere, I 'm feeling a little dizzy.

Mike Walsh

#385 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Just been trying to preview JL64 this evening, by running the LiveCD. And I've encountered something rather odd.

I've tried this twice.....and on both occasions, the same thing has happened. I've recently installed 'Mariner', and I'm wondering if this is somehow interfering with the LiveCD.

Normally, at boot, it'll load the drivers for the disks, and then looks for the session and save-files, yes? It'll check through all partitions on my main drives, finishing up with the Linux partitions on my external Seagate drive. Well, tonight, on both occasions, it gets as far as checking the partition that Mariner's installed to.....then promptly comes up with 'JL64-604.6.5 main sfs not found.....dropping out to initial ramdisk console, etc.' It never gets as far as checking my secondary drive, or the external one.

I've come across this problem before in recent months, especially when booting a newly-installed Pup from USB for the first time.....but this is the first time I've ever had it happen on the LiveCD! Any thoughts on this one, anybody?

Mike. :?
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 22 May 2016, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#386 Post by gcmartin »

Hi Mike, this is a problem that I had with all 2015 JLHs. I tried everything that I could come up with based upon recommendations from distro developers on this problem. If occurred with several other distros including JLH during 2015 and early this year.

Then, I had a unnerving thing happen after a power failure on one of the PCs which could not boot JLH. On that PC, I had problems with BIOS setting and POST issues. As a attempt to resolution, I reset the BIOS to factory. The PC began behaving again for boots and testings that I use if for. Later that week I tried the latest JLH and wow, unbelievably, the system booted. But wait, there more! I've found that the other 2015 JLHs could now boot as well on this PC.

This may/may-not be a resolution for you to pursue, but, I am unable to explain what occurred, but can say that the only attributable thing I can point to was the BIOS reset. In fact, there has been NO other machine changes on this PC in years. I have always booted via DVDs on this PC.

Its not much to go on, but, I don't have anything else to offer.

Hope there are other members who are more familiar with boot-time changes which may resolve this condition.

P.S. Iff you have LH running on any other LAN PC, you could try using NETBOOT (via Menu>Network). Feed it JLH to set it up and then go to any other 64bit PC on your LAN and have it boot from the LAN instead of local media. You just might bypass the SFS problem.

BTW: I have always been able to boot LH on this same PC in spite that JLH and others would halt on missing SFS.

Mike Walsh

#387 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, gc.
gcmartin wrote:BTW: I have always been able to boot LH on this same PC in spite that JLH and others would halt on missing SFS.
That's the stupid thing. 'Mariner' has installed & runs without a murmur. And looking in the JL64 ISO, the main SFS file is definitely there.....but the boot process isn't picking it up. And I find it distinctly odd that it fails straight after checking the 'Mariner' partition; that's peculiar.

As for doing a factory defaults reset on the BIOS; frankly, I'd rather not go down that route! Y'see, after Keisha helped me to flash a new BIOS on the big Compaq's mobo last year, to accomodate the new (to me) dual-core Athlon64 X2, on initial boot, it was going absolutely beserk; fans were running flat out, and wouldn't quit; Puppy wouldn't boot (in fact, nothing would). We realized that the MSI-supplied BIOS image had been password-locked by default, and I couldn't get into it to change anything. We eventually got her working right, and ever since then, she's run as sweet as a nut. With the exception of a slight peculiarity where the BIOS now thinks I have a totally different motherboard to the one that I do have (!!), you can perhaps understand why I'm loathe to go down that route.....

'If it ain't broke...'

I can live without JL64, I think. 'Mariner' is now behaving itself nicely, with one exception; the sfs files will all load, but.....they don't all work! I've reset things using the Boot Manager utility several times, and trying different combos of the 'Configure', 'Prompt' & 'Auto-load' settings, but nothing seems to make them behave themselves. Take WINE, for instance; all versions of WINE are 32-bit; period. There is, I believe, no such thing as a 64-bit SFS for WINE.....though I'm more than willing to be proved wrong on that score! Just to be sure, however, I've 'borrowed' the one from Tahr64 (it's considerably newer than the supplied version, and works with the few apps I use it for in Tahr); the entries are all there in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, right where they should be.....but trying to run 'winecfg' (which configures WINE, and creates the hidden folder in /root).....not a sausage. Nowt happens.

The terminal shows an error, which is then instantly corrected.....but it appears to be sufficient to interrupt the run process, so.....I wouldn't like to say just what is happening. I've even tried unloading the WINE sfs, and installing one of version2013's WINE .pets, and.....you guessed it, nothing again. Still, apart from that, and after my adventures in getting first SlimJet, and then Chrome, to run in 'Mariner', I'm quite enjoying the ride so far! 64-bit Ubuntu and its variants used to make this old girl regularly crash; ever since I switched to Puppy, I've never had the problem rear its head again.....

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#388 Post by Mike Walsh »

@gcmartin:-

Well, now....surprise, surprise. You remember I said that even the LiveCD of JustLighthouse refused to load?

By using rockedge's installation method, from here, I've successfully installed JL-604.6.5 to USB, using the multiple sub-directories method.....which I've never tried before.

Works nicely. And it's handy being able to install multiple 'test' Puppies to a single USB stick. Works as well as Bill's 'isobooter'.....which unfortunately, has never worked on my 'big-rig' since the CPU upgrade, as for some strange reason the new BIOS will not boot from FAT32-formatted partitions. It just hunts forever, and never finds them.....

Shame, 'cos I like 'isobooter'. Ah, well; 'ç'est là vie'!

I wonder if this sub-directories method will work just as well on a hard drive partition? It would certainly save me having to create endless new partitions..... :) I'm curious now as to whether you could 'install' 32- and 64-bit Pups alongside each other on the same partition..!

And it'll mean making better use of the existing hard drive space, since I tend to create 20 GB partitions per Pup. There's an awful lot of spare space being wasted on my hard drive.....especially since my data partitions are all separate these days, and sym-linked into each Pup.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 01 Jun 2016, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Dry Falls

booting lighthoouse

#389 Post by Dry Falls »

The reason Just-Lighthouse won't boot on some boxes is, I believe, the bios isn't set up to run syslinux or grub-2. If there's no EFI in your boot partition, the kernel and initrd.xz will load automatically but not find the base sfs. You can frugal by hand, as M Walsh discovered, and edit your menu-first if you boot with older grub, or try lilo from the slackware repo.

Also, whichever release of JL64 is being run, the base file still says "JL64-604.sfs". Don't go changing it or it will never boot. Not sure why folks test older releases when the newer ones are available.

I have a final release of JL64-604 as well as a new beta release of JL605 (Ignore previous attempts) but google no longer seems to support satellite speeds and times out, even with chromium50. Everything has gone cable, it seems. So it goes, I guess.

df

Mike Walsh

Re: booting lighthoouse

#390 Post by Mike Walsh »

Dry Falls wrote:The reason Just-Lighthouse won't boot on some boxes is, I believe, the bios isn't set up to run syslinux or grub-2. If there's no EFI in your boot partition, the kernel and initrd.xz will load automatically but not find the base sfs. You can frugal by hand, as M Walsh discovered, and edit your menu-first if you boot with older grub, or try lilo from the slackware repo.

Also, whichever release of JL64 is being run, the base file still says "JL64-604.sfs". Don't go changing it or it will never boot. Not sure why folks test older releases when the newer ones are available.

I have a final release of JL64-604 as well as a new beta release of JL605 (Ignore previous attempts) but google no longer seems to support satellite speeds and times out, even with chromium50. Everything has gone cable, it seems. So it goes, I guess.

df
Hi, DF.

Simple reason for using the older version is that my machine is that old it would never work with EFI.....it's over 12 years old. EFI was barely a twinkle in someone's eye when this old lady was built.....

PenguinPupLin

Just-Lighthouse64-604

#391 Post by PenguinPupLin »

After a frugal install of Just-Lighthouse64-604 using a windows installer, LICK, in one of my Windows 10 legacy BIOS PCs, my Geforce GT710 graphics card seems to be unsupported, the screen loads crippled as the built-in nouveau driver failed, and I'm forced to crtl-alt-backspace and run xorgwizard to change it to vesa.

Is there a solution for it ? I've tried downloading some nvidia graphics drivers but none seem to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dry Falls

#392 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi PenguinPupLin.

in grub menu,
  • menuentry "7 For problematic Nvidia cards - disable nouveau driver" {
    linux /vmlinuz blacklist=nouveau
    initrd /initrd.xz
in isolinux or menu1st, add
  • append blacklist=nouveau
df

PenguinPupLin

#393 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks a lot, Dry Falls, it works.

The first part was already in the grub menu and I only added "append blacklist=nouveau" to the LICKmenu.lst kernel line for nosavefile.

Just that I'm still looking for an NVidia driver that works, either pet or sfs.

edoc

#394 Post by edoc »

Just tried copying the usual boot files over to a newly assembled computer.

I was running Frugal and now am booting from USB.

It appears that it is opening the correct Save File but BootManager is looking the wrong place for the SFS files.

Can someone remind me where I look for those pointers, please?

Note: In Seamonkey it's not recognizing the Link to the Default Profile (that worked fine on the Frugal computer)

Too many months between changes & I forget things ... nothing to do with age ... "And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!"
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

#395 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi Edoc. For frugal usb install, make sure you specify 'pmedia=usbflash' (or usbhd, as is needed) after 'append' in extlinux, syslinux or grub menu1st; after 'vmlinuz' in grub2.
If your base sfs is in a folder, you can specify 'psubdir=<name of folder>.

df

edoc

#396 Post by edoc »

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

pfind shows file but different one at location?

#397 Post by edoc »

How is it that pfind shows a file (over 1g & Last Updated in 2016)
but when I do Show Location,
or use File Manager to look at that location,
it shows a 2011 file that is 1000kb?

The file in question is the bookmarks.html file

This represents a bizarre roadblock to transferring from one PC to another.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]