Puppy and SATA harddrives

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mort

Puppy and SATA harddrives

#1 Post by Mort »

Puppy seems to load off the cd I burned. Looks like it can see the unmounted cd and floppy and some usb ports. My harddrive has XP in the first partition a 50gig NTFS slice and an extended patition that is only 50% alocated at this time. The exteded partition has a 50gig vfat and a 50gig ext2 with Suse 9.3 loaded. Puppy reports no usable harddrive partition. How do I mount the other partitions to access the files?
Thanks,
Mort

#2 Post by Guest »

Ok as it stands Puppy's default kernel has SATA support but no hardware drivers compiled into the kernel....So what you really need is a kernel with SATA support for your controller and to remaster the cd with the new kernel.

I can do the kernel no probs....A monolithic one that supports as mant drivers as possible....The remastering is up to you...saves downloading a whole iso. And unfortunately I don't have access to any SATA hardware so can't actually do any testing for you.

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

Bladehunter, if you want me to test your result, I will be happy to.

I have not had much luck recompiling the kernel with sata built in.

My chipset is sata_sil, so if libata (required) and sata_sil are built in, it should work, if you have a silicone chipset.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

#4 Post by Guest »

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/kernels ... -1/vmlinuz

Can you give this a whirl and let us know how it goes /

Thanks
Rob

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

I gave it a try - nogo.

I get a kernel panic on sda.

"VFS: cannot open toot device 'sda5' or 08:05"

So, vmlinuz appears to load, but then panics. This is the same issue that I got with my recompiled kernel.

Mtab shows;

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/sda5 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

/var/log shows nothing for this date, but from looking at the older dates, there looks like something is wrong with usb-storage loading?

Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: Current 00:00: sense key Not Ready
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: Additional sense indicates Medium not present
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: sda : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: Additional sense indicates Medium not present
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: sda: Write Protect is off
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.info klogd: sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.crit klogd: ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.warn klogd: unable to read partition table
Jul 23 20:47:55 (none) syslog.info klogd: Device not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

Of course, this may be from some other trial!

BTW, I did a fresh install for this. Nice job on the atheros drivers!

--Hannibal Smith

Mort

Kernel with SATA

#6 Post by Mort »

Thanks for the quick reply and expination of why I can't see the HDD.
I'm just getting into Linux and SUSE 9.3 was a little overwhelming. Needed to recompile to get the wirless and 6800 GT cards running. Thought Puppy might be an easier start. I guess I'll just have to jump in and learn the recompile tricks.
I suspect I will need to load Vector Linux to get the dependencies and all working for a recompile?
My computers have Nvidia chip on the MB. One is a Nforce 4 and one is an Nforce 3. I think they control aleast the first SATA controler. There is another controler on one of the boards for RAID, but I don't need it yet.

Maybe someone already has kernel with SATA running?

Thanks again,

Mort

#7 Post by Guest »

Ok the prob I see is that the kernel needs the scsi module in the kernel where as barry has decided to use that as a module......I've compiled a new kernel with the scsi module included

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/kernels ... -2/vmlinuz

Tho it may cause a kernel panic if a script load\unlaods scsi.o

danleff

#8 Post by danleff »

Mort, be patient. Bladehunter is the expert on recompiling kernels. But, if you figure it out, let us know!

Yes, Bladehunter, the new kernel still panics. I notice that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules modprobes scsi_mod and sr.mod. I got this far before with a recompiled kernel from vector and got lost. Commenting out the lines makes no difference.

I'll have to trace back my steps and see what Vector's sata kernel seems to be doing. What I did notice, is that lilo in Vector loads ide-scsi with and append (append "hdc=ide-scsi"), on it's own line right off the bat, before it searches for the drive to load the kernel.

I little over my head, but I will have a look and see.

--Hannibal Smith

#9 Post by Guest »

Can you tar & gzip vectors config so I may have a look at it ?

#10 Post by Guest »

I'll check back in a few days and see how the Puppy SATA evolves. Most of the newer hardware is going to SATA so inclusion is inevitable.
Good Luck and Thanks.
Mort

danleff

#11 Post by danleff »

OK, here it is.
Attachments
config-sata-2.4.29.tar.gz
Vector Linux sata config file
(11.11 KiB) Downloaded 588 times

--Hannibal Smith

Mort

sata support

#12 Post by Mort »

Thanks danleff,

I downloaded the file you attached and will give it a try. Have been playing with the Knoppix 4.0 as it recognizes my sata partitions as USB drives. Well the desktop icons anyway. Knoppix loads from a DVD and I was looking for a smaller package.

I found some of the 3.5 inch cd-rws OVERPRICED and the should be perfect for a portable OS.

Mort