Which Windows programmes are you running in WIne?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Pelo

Wine 1.5.13

#21 Post by Pelo »

Mike Le Gallois, i was making honour to hungarian Precise 5.7.1 which has wine included. My goal was to install a Puppy in an old pendrive where i stored exe programs in the past.
Version is Wine 1.5.13. As you suggest, i update the version, and inform hungarian Puppy team to do the same.
Attachments
JeSuisCharlot.jpg
Photoscape as it is to-day with wine 1.5.13
(97.62 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

Pelo

Portable Task Coach successfull

#22 Post by Pelo »

Version Wine 1.5.13 à renover replaced by version 1.7.23 regarding Mike Walsh information. Portable Task Coach successful, unfortunately Photoscape still striped with black and white.
Attachments
Wine .jpg
Task Coach please me !
(52.67 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Mike Walsh

#23 Post by Mike Walsh »

**Update**

In addition to everything that was mentioned back in my previous post:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 107#941107

...I've now begun using another one from the Adobe CS2 suite; this time, InDesign. It's a Microsoft Publisher analogue, which I used to use for flyers, posters, calendars, etc. Publisher won't run under WINE; won't even install, in fact. InDesign is a lot more 'professional' (and 'heavy-duty' with it; 700+ MB!!), yet most stuff seems to work.....so far.

Mike. :wink:

Pelo

700MB ? not for Little Puppy !

#24 Post by Pelo »

700MB ? not for Little Puppy !
Installation of photoshop on my old laptop XP posponed next days.

Mike Walsh

#25 Post by Mike Walsh »

That's what I like about Pup, Pelo; it may be tiny, but it's more than capable of running very large programs..!

Mike. :) :wink:

perdido

#26 Post by perdido »

Have Arcsoft Photostudio 2.02SE under wine 1.61
Nice little image manipulation program from 1998.
Very easy to use.

Arcsoft released it for free around 2001, it is so old its not on their server any more but the wayback machine still has it, its a small 1.9MB

http://web.archive.org/web/200102011557 ... PS20SE.exe

No need for the serial, Arcsoft embedded it in the install.

Its one of those programs that was included in bundles back in the 1990's but is my favorite.

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, perdido.

I might have a look at that; any image-manipulation stuff is of interest to me.

One question, though; with it being that old, what version of Windows do you run it under in 'Wine-config'? XP.....or Win 98?

Galbi

#28 Post by Galbi »

Mike, I've just tested it under:
- wine (XP)
- Windows XP (VirtualBox emulated)
- Windows 7 64bits.

Works fine in all of them.

Nice software.

Thanks Perdido.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Mike Walsh

#29 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Galbi.

Yep, I've just tried it myself under the 'XP' setting in my 'standard'; WINE 1.7.51 (courtesy of version2013). Runs fine. Neat little program, too.

Kind of a cross between very early Photoshop (version2.0/3.0.....back before Macromedia sold out to Adobe).....and another one I used to use from that era. Can't remember what the hell it was called, though.....

It'll come to me. Anyway; cheers for this, Perdido!

perdido

#30 Post by perdido »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, perdido.

I might have a look at that; any image-manipulation stuff is of interest to me.

One question, though; with it being that old, what version of Windows do you run it under in 'Wine-config'? XP.....or Win 98?

LOL, I was set at XP, but it seems to run in 2K, 2008, Win7, Win98, Win95
It does not seem to care, guess it don't know any better :)

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Just added another one to my graphics 'stable'. :lol:

Again, from PortableApps. This time, an app called Photo Filtre 7. Girls and boys, you have got to try this one, if you're 'into' image manipulation like I am. Huge range of effects (including the ability to work with 'layers').....and quite 'frugal' with the RAM, too.

Rather like a 'lightweight' version of Photoshop itself.....with many of the same range of tweaks as offered by IrfanView & PhotoScape between them. The entire 'portable' directory tips the scales at just a hair under 13 MB, installed.

Thoroughly recommended.....and everything works properly. I've just given it a 'test run'!

Enjoy!

Mike. :D :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.

Burn_IT

#32 Post by Burn_IT »

I've been using that in Windows ever since Paint Shop Pro ceased being shareware.

Also get the language pack if you need it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

Obviously been around for quite a while..! I remember Jasc's Paint Shop Pro; it was installed on the old Dell, when we bought her at the beginning of 2003.

I spent many happy hours messing around with that one, I can tell you.

Photo Filtre 7 works beautifully under WINE. Nice one.

Fossil

#34 Post by Fossil »

Photo Filtre. Me too. Easy and relatively light on resources.
@Mike. Have you tried the basic FotoSketcher either in Windows or under Wine? It's a simple program but does 'convert' images to various forms of painting - watercolour, oil, pastel, B&W line,etc.

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Fossil.

FotoSketcher, eh? I reckon that would appeal to a photographer of your calibre, old son. No, I can't say as I have, TBH. I'll see if I can track it down & give it a try under WINE. I think I recall you mentioning that once before, actually.

(Gotta be WINE nowadays, mate; this 'ere has been a Windows-free domicile for approaching two years, now. Can't say as I really care, if they run this well under virtualization, or whatever it is that WINE's classified as...) :lol:

I'll get back to you on that one. Thanks for the tip.

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

@Fossil:-

FotoSketcher 3.30 (current version) is installed and running in X-Slacko 2.3.2 as I speak. I knocked together a MenuEntry .pet for it, and have it in the Menu, and a launcher in the panel, too.

Yes; it's quite nifty, isn't it? In some respects, it's a wee bit like BurnCDCC; it concentrates on a particular aspect of digital artwork, rather than trying to be all things to all men. I like it; there's a nice range of special effects for various types of drawing and paintwork. I swear at least one of those oil-painting options gives you a kind of 'gouache' effect..!!

And one of the drawing options even looks a bit like etching..... Yes; nice one. I can see me using this.

Thanks for that! Cheers.

And just to give you some idea of exactly how many Windows graphic apps I'm running under WINE..... :D :roll: :lol:

fabrice_035

#37 Post by fabrice_035 »

hi,

UleadPhotoImpact, old version (5.5) very good software. Antidote, essential speel checker (in french madame s'il vous plait)

I think TheBat! (best email reader) can work too, but i keep sylpheed,

But I often wonder why use Tahrpup if it have to use Wine :x :?:

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

Following Burn_IT's comment, and seeing it in fabrice_035's screenie above, I've just tracked down and installed Jasc's Paint Shop Pro 8.10. This was the very last version to support Win XP; after this, the Vista versions appeared to bloat from around 55 MB to somewhere approaching 140 MB!!!

It was also the last true Jasc release, before they were acquired by Corel.....who promptly turned the entire range into 'paid' software.

Be that as it may, this version works just as well as I remembered it did. This was acquired from OldVersion.com. They have an absolute feast for anybody wanting older graphics apps (and indeed, older versions of just about anything you can think of!)

Nice one!

mikeslr

Infocentral

#39 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

The only XP program I frequently use, almost daily, is Infocentral which was a component of WordPerfect Office Suite 7. It has run under all versions of wine since 1.4.

Infocentral is a free-form, relational database manager masquerading as a personal information manager. The original inventors of WordPerfect first developed a programming language, then used it to build WordPerfect, DataPerfect, and Quatropro-spreadsheet and a presentation program; and Infocentral. None of the foregoing run under wine except, oddly, Infocentral which, by the way, can't be run under Windows 7 or above except in "xp-compatibility" mode if you have Windows Pro.

What infocentral permits you to do is create (and uniquely name) your own categories of objects, then create an object within any category and link it to any other object regardless of which category it may be in; creating new "relationships" if necessary. Several of the category types offered provide multiple fields for holding data specific to that object, some automatically created by selecting an offered category type, others added because you've modified the standard category to contain other types of information. For example, used as PIM, the "Person" category can hold multiple phone numbers, addresses and email-addresses for each "Person/datafile". Although Infocentral was written in 1998, today you could add a field relating to a twitter or facebook account. To call up any specific object -- just type "f", for find-- and type 3 letters. This will generate a display of all objects containing those letters. There are, of course, ways to remove "objects" from the display, or clear the entire display window. Clicking a "+" to the left of an object will display an information tree of every object linked to that object. Right clicking presents a menu, and if the object which has multiple fields you can select "Information" and see the data, scrolling if necessary. Once you've created an object there are, of course, way to link it to objects you've previously created.

Using it as a PIM: I created links between the "person" object relating to a doctor to the "organization" objects relating to my medical insurer and the pharmacy I most frequently use to fill prescriptions.

What is particularly odd about its ability to operate under Wine but not newer versions of Windows is that under Wine it functions as an alternative operating system. Long-absent "former" Puppy fan Hilary BH Wright figured that among the objects you could link are the data files anywhere on your computer created using Linux applications. For example, you could associate the odt ending with Libreoffice Writer, save a Libreoffice file using that format, create an Infocentral "Note" file named, for example "My Report Feb 27 2017", amd by linking that object to the Libreoffice document, have Infocentral open Libreoffice writer and the file you created using it.

As such associations depend on a file's "ending", you'd have to decide which application you want to associate with a datafile if more than one application could be used; for example, both mtPaint and gimp can open 'png" files. You'd have to choose which.

I discussed it here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 975#405975. The links I provided there to download Infocental and Hillary's scripts are dead. But you can still obtain them from Mike Koenecke --I'm not him-- here: http://ww.macros.koenecke.us/InfoCentral/. Infocentral is the first listing. Hilary's adaptions are the ones referred to as "Infocentral for Linux". But you'll probably want to use winetricks to flesh out your "Windows/fonts folder with common fonts before running infocentral or it will first complain and then look kinda weird. Email me if you want an "How to" I wrote way back when.

mikesLr

Pelo

Ant Movie catalog

#40 Post by Pelo »

Ant Movie catalog
A french puppy user coming from Windows wishes to keep his movies under Puppy Linux
Wine is one of the solutions.
Attachments
Hitchcock.jpg
First tries
(136.5 KiB) Downloaded 86 times